(SOLVED)Need a bit of definition of terms. GRUB distros etc

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
choochooal
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED)Need a bit of definition of terms. GRUB distros etc

Post by choochooal »

First let me say I don't think I'm a newb as I've had my hand in Unix (or versions) since 1972 +/-. I worked for a national company that wrote its own kernel in 1972, then a private company that got me playing with SCO Unix and Xenix, mostly hardware but you can't play with computers without knowing a bit of software. But in 1982 I got to be an application developer in SCO and we later ported it to Windows. We played with Redhat then when it was a free download but never got too far.

I have dug into the deep hearts of SCO and have written massive shell scripts and even print drivers, uucp setup around the world etc. Now into my retirement days, I'm still playing and I'm into the Linux Mint 11 that I seem to like. I've seen other distributions so I've got some frame of reference but that's probably what is making things worse. So today, looking at LM11 I feel like I'm a newbie again looking a whole new animal.

The questions I have are this. I see messages on this board change subject from GRUB to GRUB2 almost fluidly. But they are different right? I want to modify my boot loader (like I did in ubuntu when I had it) but its not that easy here in Katya. The editor is horrible. Can I put GRUB2 in?

Also I see reference to LM 11 and LMDE (with different reasons for the DE). I think its Debian Edition?

Then there is desktops. I know Katya is GNOME but I see reference to software for kde desktop (or am I reading this wrong), so what is what.

It was so easy in Windows, or SCO Unix days. You have version X and either text based or GUI based. Oh, and a version, but not a version of a version. Whew.

Any links or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by choochooal on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Need a bit of definition of terms. GRUB distros and des

Post by Elisa »

Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

This might help a bit >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=54945

It is the second sticky topic on the first page of this forum... :D
(hiding in plain sight!)
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb »

They have this great new tool. Anything ya wanna know more about. You type words and phrases related to them into a search box and BAM ! Up pops information about it. Truly amazing stuff, like magic. It's called google.

lol ... just messing round. Redhat still has free opensource stuff on the field. Called fedora linux ... Fedora, a kind of hat ... Redhat, get it ? :D

Still messing round, grub2 is the bootloader for Mint 11. People saying grub vs grub2 may be referring to grub legacy an earlier version of grub which is no longer actively supported or developed. Grub2 is the new grub.

Here's a good link on grub2. Might even be more than you wanted to know.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Yeah, Mint 11's default gui/de ( desktop environment ) is gnome, at least usually. Think they have a Mint 11 kde release coming. Could be wrong though. Gnome and kde are two of the best known nix DE's out there. Then there's xfce, others emerging and a slew of WM's ( windows managers.) Snagged this quote from a google search and seems pretty well stated.
"Desktop Environments" are full featured "environments" as the name suggests. They include lots of tools and applications. They are generally easy to use and customize. The most common are Gnome and KDE.

The "Window Managers" are minimalist. They don't allow for customization as easily as a desktop environment. They also don't have any extra applications or configuration tools. Most require hand editing of configuration files to create or customize menus. The plus side is that they are very fast. Two examples are Fluxbox and IceWM.

A window manager like fluxbox will run much faster than KDE, but it won't have any bells and whistles, and if you want to change something, plan to spend a lot of time RTFM'ing.
in either case DE or WM = GUI. Higher version number should mean a more recent work and latest releases of that piece of software. Which someone would think would mean better. But that isn't always the case it seems. Newer, higher version number doesn't necessarily translate into improvements.

(edit) Had to add this on the subject of desktop environments vs windows managers. Cause from skimming through it looked to be a fairly good reference on the subject. Noting that it's from 2007 though.

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2007/ ... dow-manag/

And another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... vironments

*Fun stuff with DE's and WM's for all us nix newbs.

To make things cooler and mucho more fun. With any good linux distro, including LM. You can install several DE's and WM's and easily switch between them in a couple secs. For instance in Mint 11's software manager or synaptic package manager. You can search for xfce ... You'd be looking for 2 packages. xfce meta and xfce goodies. You download and install those ... If you wanted to try out fluxbox, you can search for, download and install it the same way too. Fluxbox is only 1 package.

Then when you want to switch between them. Click the button for logging out, up pops a log-in box. You select yourself and down on the lower panel bar appears a box where you can select the DE or WM you want to use. You pick one, enter your password and log back in. The DE or WM you selected will be running. You can also set the default DE or WM you wanna use most in Mint's control center. Believe the control for it's under the login screen icon. You would then have an OS - operating system w 2 DE's and 1 WM installed on it. lol ... didn't mean for this to turn into a bk ...

lmde vs regular Mint releases. Yep you got it, the main releases are based on ubuntu linux. Lmde is based on pure Debian linux. But then I'm to understand that like 3/4's of ubuntu is unchanged Debian code itself. So to make it extra confusing ... ubuntu is a derivative of Debian that has amassed enough credit and done enough unique changes to the underlying code that it's considered a distro in it's own right. Linux Mint is a derivative of ubuntu, not sure if it's entitled by reasonable standards to be considered a true distro. Would depend on who ya ask me thinks.

LM's got its own spot on distrowatch though and no shortage of users. Which isn't surprising, the Mint tools do make ubuntu mucho more user friendly imo. At least compared to the pure ubuntu releases I've ever tried. Only 2 of em ... didn't like either. Thus why you keep hearing Linux Mint is ubuntu done right. Which logically enough would make ubuntu linux, ubuntu done wrong, lol.

conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

What you are seeing now is the result of free and open source development. A common but always growing tree trunk and root system, and as many branches as the community and communities of developers and users can create and maintain. As natural as the way evolution works. New species that thrive in new niches. Evolution, and the diversity that results.

The specific questions you asked are answered above, but what you see now is a richness of choice that draws so many of us more recent adopters to Linux.

GRUB, GRUB2, and BURG and more. They all work, they all give a choice about boot options, and we humans, also all being non-identical, may find this or that more comfortable or powerful or whatever.

Run the LiveCD/DVDs of any of the distros at http://distrowatch.com/ and explore. If interested, install them in a Virtual Box or add partitions to your hard drive, or use other options to give a persistent install.

Play around, be awed, I bet, have fun and enjoy!

Return to “Newbie Questions”