Security updates??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
acithium

Security updates??

Post by acithium »

I read on the debian website that it doesn't get security updates in a timely manner. How does this affect the security of LMDE? Could there be a vulnerability in LMDE, but not get fixed due to the fact that it is still in the testing repo??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Security updates??

Post by AlbertP »

Linux is very secure by nature, so even with a security bug in Debian, you don't get a virus as often as on Windows.
And make sure the message applies to Testing and is not about Sid, Experimental, Unstable, Stable and other Debian branches. Linux Mint uses Debian Testing by default.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

acithium wrote:I read on the debian website that it doesn't get security updates in a timely manner. How does this affect the security of LMDE? Could there be a vulnerability in LMDE, but not get fixed due to the fact that it is still in the testing repo??
With the new overhaul in LMDE's repo layout, this will most likely be affected. Additionally, Debian Sid is more commonly known to have these security update issues, rather than Testing or Stable.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

LifeInTheGrey wrote:
acithium wrote:I read on the debian website that it doesn't get security updates in a timely manner. How does this affect the security of LMDE? Could there be a vulnerability in LMDE, but not get fixed due to the fact that it is still in the testing repo??
With the new overhaul in LMDE's repo layout, this will most likely be affected. Additionally, Debian Sid is more commonly known to have these security update issues, rather than Testing or Stable.
The last sentence is NOT quite true, Testing has more security issues than either Debian Stable or Unstable/sid.

Stable gets security fixes with backported patches, sid gets new versions and unless it is a major security issue it takes any where from 7-10 days for a package to move from sid to Testing. Either way sid usually already has the newer version.

Not that there is anything to really worry about, not like we are talking about a Windows box that is vulnerable just because it is connected to the web.

Subscribe to the various Debian mailing-lists and update at least weekly and you will be just fine.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

craigevil wrote:
LifeInTheGrey wrote:
The last sentence is NOT quite true, Testing has more security issues than either Debian Stable or Unstable/sid.

Stable gets security fixes with backported patches, sid gets new versions and unless it is a major security issue it takes any where from 7-10 days for a package to move from sid to Testing. Either way sid usually already has the newer version.

Not that there is anything to really worry about, not like we are talking about a Windows box that is vulnerable just because it is connected to the web.

Subscribe to the various Debian mailing-lists and update at least weekly and you will be just fine.
http://www.debian.org/security/faq#unstable <= Debian's explanation of how security is handled for unstable; testing, contrib, non-free, etc. handlings are listed below it.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
acithium

Post by acithium »

Okay, well i guess it can't be all bad. I think Ubuntu is based of Debian testing right? So basically LMDE, Ubuntu, and LM all have the same base and would get the security updates together.

Return to “LMDE Archive”