I want to use sudo but with a separate password - LMDE

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
msnthrp
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use sudo but with a separate password - LMDE

Post by msnthrp »

I've been using Linux since 2000 and love it. In those days and even now, there was a user password and a root password - and never the twain should meet.

Using Linux Mint (currently Debian edition), I gradually began to see the benefits of sudo and I like the timer element that turns it off after so many minutes. However, I also like the use of separate passwords for the user and root accounts - two passwords seem to have a better security profile. But I want to keep the timer features of sudo.

So what I would like to do is to modify sudo so that it keeps its current features EXCEPT that it would require a different password to be effective. A retrofit of the new with the old.

I found a post by SimonTS on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 am that looked good but did not work for me; it possibly would not have done what I want anyway. I found another post by guigum on Sat May 07, 2011 10:47 pm but from his description, it does not do what I would like. Several differently worded searches (always tricky for me) did not get as close as those two posts.

Anyone have an idea how I can make the

Code: Select all

sudo foobar
command work but use the new root password instead of the user password?

TIA

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: I want to use sudo but with a separate password - LMDE

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think sudo works like you think it does. Your user account, as part of the installation, has been given priviliges to run sudo. Sudo asks for your password to confirm, and then executes the command following sudo as the root user. So it is not actually the root password it asks for, but your own user account password (i.e., another user can not execute sudo with your password, but needs to enter his or her own).

Details: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
Read the 3rd paragraph in "Background Information" section.

What you can do in an effort to achieve what you describe, is to create a new, non-priviliged, user account. You would use that new, non-priviliged, user account for your day-to-day use. At any time where you would need root priviliges (for doing updates, or for running sudo for example), you then use Log Out -> Switch User to switch to your current, priviliged, user account. That way you have in effect two different passwords: one for your main user account for day-to-day work, and another for doing stuff that needs root priviliges.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can use su -c 'command' instead of sudo command when you want to use the root password.
Sudo uses your user password, if you are added to the /etc/sudoers file. Probably removing yourself from that file lets you use the root password. (It might also disable sudo, not sure about this)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

First enable the root password then, it is disabled and unset by default. So removing yourself from the sudoers file will mean you won't be able to execute sudo commands anymore iirc

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The root password is already enabled in LMDE. This is not Ubuntu.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I stand corrected. I just moved from Ubuntu to Linux Mint this month, so still have a lot of Ubuntu knowledge to update.

Return to “Other topics”