[solved]LMDE not starting with new kernel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
godsotherhand

[solved]LMDE not starting with new kernel

Post by godsotherhand »

If i start LMDE with the newest version of the kernel (designed for AMD64), it starts loading stuff, then the screen goes black, and instead of my login screen coming up, now i get a blinking little line (like this: _ ) and nothing happens. cant tipe.

Also, if i use an older kernel (the one that came with the LMDE DVD on the website) it starts and works ok, but i get lots of errors while starting up. Despite the errors, it works ok.

Could some1 help me? tryed searching for the headers of the kernel to reinstall them (i did this in the x32 version of debian once), but i cant find it here>.< The source list on debx64 is incomplete...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: LMDE not starting with new kernel

Post by lmintnewb »

Havent used lmde, so could be way off. Would imagine it works more or less the same as Mint's main releases though in terms of kernel upgrades. Also going to just assume synaptic is the package manager for lmde. If not adapt this junk accordingly.

Would suggest you make sure you installed the kernel correctly in the first place and sudo update-grub afterwards. Similar to this link, noting that you need two packages I believe for a successful kernel upgrade. Not just one ... Anyway, link details how to uninstall and remove an unwanted kernels entry from the grub menu. But also inadvertently show a thing or two about successfully upgrading a kernel as well.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17787/cl ... boot-menu/

If you missed a step in that or forgot something would redo it. ie: If ya only installed one package, install the other too and mark the one already installed for reinstall ... why not ? Then sudo update-grub. Reboot select new kernel and see if your probs are better. Am a nix newb myself. Only basing it off of the limited experience I had in upgrading the kernel in Mint 10. Used that article for grub clean up and worked without issue.
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

The thing is the kernel did work for like a couple of reboots (installed lmde x64 here yesterday) and it worked for like 3 or 4 reboots.
Now i dont know what happened, didnt update nothing since last update.. disabled stuff like printing and bluetooth.. went back with the old kernel and enabled it, but it didnt help..

About installing the kernel, i also installed the kernel on my LMDE x32 and it was intuitive(image+headers of same version).
But for some reason, on the x64 version i cannot find image or headers for kernel..searched for "kernel" in synaptic and i got strange stuff..

So ty about the link, but it didnt help me in this situation :(
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

godsotherhand wrote: But for some reason, on the x64 version i cannot find image or headers for kernel..searched for "kernel" in synaptic and i got strange stuff..
(

search these

linux-image
linux-headers
twa

Post by twa »

godsotherland,
can U boot in recovery mode ??
twa

Post by twa »

godsotherland,
I saw that U installed sgfxi and got Your Nvidia drivers working.
did U also install smxi ??
if yes U can then choose which kernel to install or reinstall.
just follow the on-screen questions.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by twa on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SciFiDude79

Post by SciFiDude79 »

You're not able to type at all? That's weird.

I had something similar to this problem immediately after installing the Nvidia driver via sgfxi and then updating to the latest kernel (I had just installed LMDE 64-bit and sat through about 2 horus of updates. :roll:) Once I rebooted into the new kernel, I got a black screen and a regular login like I'd hit Ctrl+Alt+F1. I did what twa suggested and ran smxi (thanks twa :D) and removed the old kernel but it still wouldn't load the XServer in the new kernel, so I ran sgfxi again and now it works. I don't know if that helps you since you say you can't type but, if you get to a point where you can, you might want to try running sgfxi again.
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

well the think is it didnt respons to ctrl+alt+f1, thats why i made the thread. But it got fixed by installing the nvidia driver. ty all for your quick response. :D :mrgreen:
lmintnewb

Re: [solved]LMDE not starting with new kernel

Post by lmintnewb »

For future reference to folks. Don't search for kernel in synaptic. Search for the first few numbers of the version number of the kernel. If I remember correctly running this in terminal will show ya the kernel version you're using. "uname -a" ... w/o the quotes. "uname -r" , will show ya just the kernel number too w/o the rest, such as CPU n other stuff.

Return to “LMDE Archive”