LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wayne128

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 2 july 2011

Post by wayne128 »

kmb42vt wrote:
zerozero wrote:i went though the kernel logs and couldn't find a thing about it as well, i found references to the usb-hdd connexion of course, but from there until the reboot it's blank;
about being something that should be reported in the Update Pack thread, honestly don't know, doesn't hurt, and the worst that can happen is the posts being removed :lol:
Yeah, that's about the worst that can happen. Still, it seems to me though that there's a good chance the respin might ship with the exact same problem if it ships with the same kernel and that might leave a bad taste in a (new/previous) users mouth? "Safely" remove their external hard drive and their system freezes hard...doesn't exactly sound like a promotional bell ringer to me. :D

By the way, I'm running LM 11 with the Ubuntu flavored version of 2.6.39-2 and this particular problem doesn't exist.

Just check my new LMDE installation fully upgrade via incoming repos.
Yes, this occured to me on USB multiple-partition drive, kernal panic eventhou I umount the USB drive via terminal then unplug. This is consistently repeatable on kernel 2.6.39-2-686-pae on my set up.

Just check on my Debian-sid-Gnome, Debian-xfce-Testing, another Debian based setup on the same kernel, no issue since it was upgraded for sometime.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 72#p437672
MadOCer

Post by MadOCer »

Thanks for the link to the bug number. I'll have to dig through some of my recent logs. I think I've seen a very similar log on my machine.
And perhaps there's something more. Will see when I find the time.
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

doktordave wrote:I've noticed workarounds for Nvidia, and was wondering if anyone has come up with one for fglrx/Catalyst drivers yet.

One other quick question - does the breakage occur with all kernels, or does it only affect the 2.6.39 variety?
It took several months for ATI to come out with a Catalyst driver that would work with .38, It could be months before they issue one that works with .39.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

In reference to the problem of system lock up when selecting "Safely remove drive" for a USB connected external hard drive, I installed the latest Liquorix kernel (2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64) and the problem does not occur. Just FYI.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

just adding to this issue that with the same usb-hdd, chakra 39.2 kernel amd64, no problems: safely remove works as expected and no glitches in the system
MadOCer

Post by MadOCer »

That would probably mean that it's either the debian kernel patches or a certain kernel configuration option causing this behaviour. Interesting indeed!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:just adding to this issue that with the same usb-hdd, chakra 39.2 kernel amd64, no problems: safely remove works as expected and no glitches in the system
Heh, I have Chakra testing (Edn-ms1) installed as well using the same kernel you mention. Completely forgot to check it there. Glad you caught it. Great minds think alike? :D (at least yours anyway)
Last edited by kmb42vt on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: to kind of you kmb42vt (and i saw you already in there 8) )
a quick look though the chakra forum doesn't bring any topic with this issue, and i honestly don't remember reading in there nothing about it, so will it be debian specific, as MadOCer also asks?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote::lol: to kind of you kmb42vt (and i saw you already in there 8) )
a quick look though the chakra forum doesn't bring any topic with this issue, and i honestly don't remember reading in there nothing about it, so will it be debian specific, as MadOCer also asks?
It has to be. So far we've eliminated kernels built for Ubuntu, Liquorix and Arch (Chakra). The Ubuntu flavored kernel is the same version number as the Debian kernel installed in LMDE with the new update system in place. If I were a programmer familiar with the Linux kernel the next step I'd take was to perform a differential comparison and isolate the problem within the kernel itself. If the kernel was built with PHP (Good God! What am I thinking?) then I might stand a half a chance but fortunately it's not. :D
diogobaeder

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 22 june 2011

Post by diogobaeder »

Lewdsquirrel wrote:Hi guys,
like some of you, the latest updates broke my shinny LMDE, because I was using Nvidia proprietary drivers, and was too stupid to notice that the update was going to remove them! Damn.
So after the next reboot, I'm stuck with a black screen asking me to login... :(
I did some research on the Internet and found out that it's still possible to reinstall packages if the ".deb" files are still on the system, even an older version. I also checked the history in Synaptics to know what packages have been upgraded before the breakage.
Here is a list of files and versions you have to "restore".
libgl1-mesa-dev (7.10.2-3)
libgl1-mesa-dri (7.10.2-3)
libgl1-mesa-glx (7.10.2-3)
libglu1-mesa (7.10.2-3)
mesa-common-dev (7.10.2-3)
xserver-common (2:1.10.2-1+wheezy1)
xserver-xorg-core (2:1.10.2-1+wheezy1)

Then you'll be able to reinstall:
libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
libgl1-nvidia-glx
nvidia-glx

Now, all the installed packages (and all versions) are supposed to be stored in "/var/cache/apt/archives", so if you are stuck at the black screen, do the following (change the "i386" in the commands below if you use a 64 bit system):
- Login with the usual username
- type "cd /var/cache/apt/archives"
- type "sudo dpkg -i libgl1-mesa-glx_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i libglu1-mesa_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i mesa-common-dev_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i xserver-common_2%3a1.10.2-1+wheezy1_all.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.10.2-1+wheezy1_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i libgl1-mesa-dri_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"
- type "sudo dpkg -i libgl1-mesa-dev_7.10.2-3_i386.deb"

Once it's done, you can reinstall the Nvidia packages by typing:
- sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
- sudo apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx
- sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

And X should restart automatically! Enjoy! :D

That was easy! :wink:

Thanks a LOT, Lewdsquirrel! This worked for me! :-)

Any guess for when they'll update with non-breaking nvidia packages?

Cheers,

Diogo
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I found the problem of youtube over here, its not a flash problem.
Its a problem whit youtube it self, whit vimeo.com the vids are working fine also whit other sites.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

kmb42vt wrote:In reference to the problem of system lock up when selecting "Safely remove drive" for a USB connected external hard drive, I installed the latest Liquorix kernel (2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64) and the problem does not occur. Just FYI.

and
by zerozero on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:40 pm

to kind of you kmb42vt (and i saw you already in there )
bliss of ignorance

zerozero
Level 5

Also running the same Liquorix kernel with no "problem of system lock up when selecting "Safely remove drive" for a USB connected external hard drive".
Looks more like its Debian kernel specific. :?:
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Also running the same Liquorix kernel with no "problem of system lock up when selecting "Safely remove drive" for a USB connected external hard drive".
Looks more like its Debian kernel specific.
I am not sure of that statement.
On several of my computers , all my straight-Debian partitions and Debian based distros partitions with Debian kernel 2.6.39-x do not have this problem except the LMDE.
Last edited by wayne128 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Shame on me. I wrote:
Don't update now, if you have nvidia graphic. Driver 275.09.07-4 isn't in the testing repos and sid now has .07-5.
That driver is not working on my machine. Had to restore the former partition.
After the installation of nvidia-glx 275.09.07-5 from sid repos i forgot

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig
.07-5 is working now.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well, Gerd50, i'm in a way happy to read that :mrgreen:
that means that 07-4 and 07-5 are both safe for testing, so no matter which comes down we will be good to go 8)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

wayne128 wrote:
Looks more like its Debian kernel specific.
I am not sure of that statement.
On several of my computers , all my straight-Debian partitions and Debian based distros partitions with Debian kernel 2.6.39-x do not have this problem except the LMDE.

OK! Thanks.
Looks like we will have to be watching it more closely.
glenn4uk

Post by glenn4uk »

thomasmc wrote:
doktordave wrote:I've noticed workarounds for Nvidia, and was wondering if anyone has come up with one for fglrx/Catalyst drivers yet.

One other quick question - does the breakage occur with all kernels, or does it only affect the 2.6.39 variety?
It took several months for ATI to come out with a Catalyst driver that would work with .38, It could be months before they issue one that works with .39.

I followed the same procedure that others have used for nvidia packages to upgrade the ati/catalyst drivers using the sid repo. I selected all fglrx packages for upgrade and all is well using the standard mint 2.6.39-2 kernel as well as the liquorix kernel.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Today's update of 'python-imaging 1.1.7.3 ' will break software manager
Best to not update it until a fix is found.

Re: Software Manager Broke (Tracking Debian Testing)
by GeneC on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Found the solution right here on the forum...
Re: Software Manager Hangs on Gathering Information
by andyfang on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:27 am

I found the solution !
when package "pyhon-imaging" version is 1.1.7.3
this error will happen.
so .
get the "python-imaging" version 1.1.7.2 from Debian stable package ,
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/python-imaging
than, remove python-imaging 1.1.7.3 and install 1.1.7.2
you can get the right result.
cheers
Here = viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76798&p=446333

Thanks "andyfang"
That fixed it.
I enable Debian "stable" repo (temporarily)
Forced the install (downgrade) of "python-imaging" to 1.1.7.2

Software Manager is working ok again.
Lock this version until a fix is provided.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 11#p447211
gcp

Post by gcp »

RE: python-imaging will break software manager
I never go backwards. python-imaging 1.1.7-4 in the SID repository will fix the problem. :lol:
fliteshare

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 12 july 2011

Post by fliteshare »

gcp wrote:RE: python-imaging will break software manager
I never go backwards. python-imaging 1.1.7-4 in the SID repository will fix the problem. :lol:
Just a newbie question
How do I get Synaptic to install "python-imaging 1.1.7-4" ?

Return to “LMDE Archive”