Another attempt to stop Linux installations?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richyrich

Another attempt to stop Linux installations?

Post by richyrich »

but Windows is already using four primary partitions.
Just read this in a support post, and it shocked me enough that I have to vent . . My MCSE was faithfully kept up-to-date until the Vista debacle, this has NEVER been proper operating procedure !

I'm drafting an email to HP right now . . your thoughts ?

bahh, humbug . . richy

source : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 05&start=0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: Another attempt to stop Linux installations?

Post by Kendall »

I'll add this to the increasingly long list of reasons I don't buy HP products.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I fix a lot of HP computers. I always do a fresh install to fix the way the drive is partitioned. HP puts a lot of junk on the system too and it's quicker for me to start fresh to fix up the mess.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I recently bought a new Toshiba notebook/laptop.

Windows-7 took 3 partitions and used up 27 Gbs of space (without updates) :shock:

Hadn't thought about it, before . . . but, I see you're point about using up the available 'primary' partitions.

Apparently, MicroSoft and Windows will do anything to try and keep the PC market.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Sad but true. My computer is an HP laptop and I wouldn't have anything else at the moment, as it is completely Linux compatible. That said, I didn't mind at all nuking the extra crap partitions that Windows/HP put on there. If you make your own backups, you don't need the extra sludge.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

My wife uses an HP laptop and loves it, but we did a recovery cd backup for the Windows then wiped it out and used it all for lmde :D
It is a great computer and very compatable with lmde well so far no issues anyhow.
3 partitions is a lot. and 27 gigs :shock:
I didn't even notice when I wiped it I just did it cause she despises Windows and she had Windows 7 also (it even got blue screen a couple of times before we put it to rest).
Sam
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Kendall wrote:I'll add this to the increasingly long list of reasons I don't buy HP products.
I used to have that same list :) but now I have it much shorter:

"Proprietary Parts" !!!!!!

Laptops are not quite the same, because you more rarely need to change any parts, but try putting a new generic video card in a HP desktop computer. Can't do it! Have to use their own proprietary parts at excessive prices to modify YOUR machine.

/mini rant off! :)

Easiest job in the world- Chair of the Ethical Standards Committee at HP/Microsoft?! :)

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Me too, once I've burned and tested the recovery disks, wipe goes the hard drive . . no matter if I'm re-installing Windows or replacing . .
<mini-rant>
I worked with a lot of Dell machines back a few, and recommended them until about Y2K, when I came across my first new machine with a "REFURBISHED" stamped right on the motherboard . . :shock:
</mini-rant>
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Didn't know that about desktop hp's, I never bought a desktop except for an ibm in the 90's I always built my own after that.
Thats just not fair, makes you buy everything from them like that :evil:
I used to work for dell a few years back they weren't allowed to sell refurbs as new back then unless they sold them off on someone else to sell them, looks like they changed their position after they left the country (both Canada and the USA). The only other way was if it was a return to be fixed then they were allowed to send another back as a refurb.
Too bad they were a great company at one point although I never owned one they were pretty good.
Oh well, better do some research if I ever buy another laptop, if I ever own another desktop again I'll just build it again but I switched to laptops after I said I never would own one, The wife converted me :lol: and I converted her to linux.
Sam
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

For this reason I always build desktops myself, even for others if they want Windows 7 on it. It's more fun that way also 8)
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

And what about Toshiba and Fujitsu-Siemens? I have references these ones are very nice to Linux distros, have you the same experiences? ;)
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

My Lenovo 0689-A7U (not all Chinese-made stuff is crap) LOVES Linux.

I don't know about partitioning from the factory. I got mine used.
I had a dual boot within 1\2 hour of the purchase.

Every tech I know that has any experience always wipes the drives anyway.
It's SOP for me to do so also.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

We tried a toshiba laptop from walmart once but it was borked from the beginning the whole thing keep looping right out of the box and wouldn't load windows 7 at all, so I couldn't tell by that one because it was a dud from the beginning and I didn't feel like playing around with it to get it going or put linux on it, I just returned it and we got the HP instead which runs good,
My sister has a toshiba netbook though and I put lmde on it and it was the worst nightmare I had yet trying to get that thing going, it took me a day and a half to go through everything to get it working properly, had to download and install drivers for pretty much everything on it, everytime I got one thing fixed and working another thing broke.
Not a fan of the Toshiba right now but it might be good, I just had two bad issues with it.
One thing is for sure, I'll never buy a Toshiba netbook.
Sam
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I like Toshiba laptops due powerful hardware with fine prices... ;) When u check how is it fine Toshiba + Linux, you'll see it's possible to get working. Just depends on your knowledges how to get it installed ;)
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=% ... tbs=,qdr:y
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If I would consider buying a laptop, I would go for Lenovo or HP--based on compatibility. And before you guys make me get my asbestos suit, I can buy HP laptops (and Lenovo or Acer) with Linux pre-installed locally. That is also without Windows tax.

Currently they only pre-install Ubuntu iirc, but might be interesting for people in the Netherlands: http://www.hettes.nl/
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think that the Windows tax is paid by the manufacturer. They can get Windows cheaper if they promise to install it on all their computers. As far as I know, only Dell sells laptops without Windows; other manufacturers preinstall Windows which gets wiped immediately by Linux vendors.
If they keep putting 4 primary partitions on a disk, we should try to make GPT partitioning more popular... That way the maximum is so big that they won't be able to invent something useful to put on every partition, if the disk is big.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Elmacus

Post by Elmacus »

I use and sell Fujitsu. Very good laptops, except the gobi 2000 3g/mobile internet modem.

Sent from Android using tapatalk.
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Well, now I know not to buy HP. Too bad, I always heard they were a decent company.

I already hated Dell. My mom bought a Dell several years ago and it did not come as it was ordered, ie had a CD-ROM drive instead of a DVD writer as requested. Also had a corrupt XP install, and I think the motherboard may be bad because it does not do some things properly. Have Mint 9 on it now, and it usually works fine, but it is hardly used lately.

Also had a Toshiba laptop from a few years ago. Stopped working completely one day, shop could not fix it. Gave it to my brother-in-law and it worked fine. My nephew put Ubuntu on it and used it for about a year, then it just stopped again. Dead and buried now. But it was old.

My Dell laptop is working fine with Mint 9 LXDE. But it is only a few years old. And I use it mainly for stumbling.

As for desktops, I am going to build my own in the future. I have already modified the one I have somewhat. But my next one will be built from scratch, by me, and will never have any MS product on it. It will be the same with the computers I sell, once I start getting orders through my company. I will not touch or use any MS in my business.

The whole thing does sound like another attempt to dominate the PC market and keep everyone else, especially FOSS, out. And I thought Windows 7 was supposed to be different.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

HP does indeed have that 'proprietary' hardware - they have to put their name into the chip to let it work with an HP computer. But if your computer is fully working from the start, and you don't need to put a new wireless card into it, they're usually working fine - except those with Broadcom cards and hybrid graphics. But since 2010, HP does not use Broadcom wireless anymore.

I can recommend Vaio too, though I don't have much experience. Many Vaio laptops are using Atheros wifi which seems to cause some easy-to-fix problems on Mint 11.

Many manufacturers are having some models that are almost completely made out of Intel components, and so should work fine with Linux.
If a laptop does not have hybrid graphics, and it has decent wireless, it's OK in most cases. Dell, HP and Lenovo test laptops on Linux compatibility since 2010 - you can be quite sure that the wireless will work on those laptops. But still you have to watch for hybrid graphics.
Last edited by AlbertP on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I have lmde on my mothers laptop which uses Broadcom wireless its a bit of a headache but it works fine, just with the last update I did on it though I had to redo it to get it going again. Only took a minute or two but I had all the terminal stuff saved and the files in a sepearte folder so it was pretty easy but the initial part was a headache.
Sam

Return to “Chat about Linux”