Mint 11 KDE development

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solainix

Re: Mint 11 KDE development

Post by solainix »

I am currently using Debian Stable (64 bit and Xfce) with backports and I am very satisfied with it. The problem with Testing is that at the beginning of the production cycle (right now) it can occasionally break (towards the end it tends to be rock-solid, though). This is not a huge issue for the experienced user but it can be a show-stopper for newbies and clearly it does not conciliate well with the original Mint concept. What I would propose for Mint would be Debian Stable with official backports plus extended backports from the Mint repos.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I am looking forward to having KDE join GNOME and Xfce as part of the Debian-based family. This is yet another step in the right direction for the future of Linux Mint.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Archdevil

Post by Archdevil »

Hi all!

The Mint Linux Debian KDE edition sounds just like what I am waiting for!
When can we expect betas or RC's? Can't wait to try this! :D
colyn

Post by colyn »

Archdevil wrote:Hi all!

The Mint Linux Debian KDE edition sounds just like what I am waiting for!
When can we expect betas or RC's? Can't wait to try this! :D
Watch this link http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

It should show up any day now for testing..
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

Ubuntu based distros don't work on my PC due apparently to RAID technology so I wholly welcome this switch to Debian, add to that the changed repos and hopefully soon a fix for the Nvidia problems and I will be very happy :D
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Will the KDE edition include KCM Wacom Tablet GUI config tool?
GDTR.ua

Post by GDTR.ua »

+1 for LMDE-KDE

I always want to build it by installing kde packages on top of LMDE.
Of course, Boo's LMDE-KDE will be better in terms of quality.
New LMDE update system came just in time.

:beer:
thermodynamics4

KDE DEBIAN is a Success

Post by thermodynamics4 »

Hello guys. there is no reason to worry, with the help of the community this will be the first Debian-media-all porpuse distro ever...

In fact I believe that with a little time debian is going to get faster updates and Mint better quality than other distros. In the near future a see a big success.

Cheers!!!
gustaff

Post by gustaff »

I am currently using LMDE Xfce and the new 'Linux Mint Debian Latest repository' (the one that will be updated once a month), So far it is working great :D No issues att all :mrgreen: Thanks Clem for a great distro.

@thenewguy and others. If you want to use SOX for mp3 the latest version in the repos is 14.3.2-1 (and included in the repos is libsox-fmt-mp3 14.3.2-1). So I'm not sure what you are talking about. You may want to check the repositorys before commenting on them?

As suggested by Clem you could use the following repositorys (if you chose 'latest'):
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
Archdevil

Post by Archdevil »

I trust that the installer will set the correct repositories when the KDE version appears...............
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

gustaff wrote:@thenewguy and others. If you want to use SOX for mp3 the latest version in the repos is 14.3.2-1 (and included in the repos is libsox-fmt-mp3 14.3.2-1). So I'm not sure what you are talking about. You may want to check the repositorys before commenting on them?
Frankly, I'm not sure what _you_ are talking about. I never mentioned SOX and none of the concerns I expressed involve mp3 support.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

From what I've been reading on the testing page http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/76 it seems almost certain that that the big Boo
is leaning toward LMDE KDE. We may be dropping the 'buntu. 8)

Git'er done Boo!!
gustaff

Post by gustaff »

@thenewguy I fully understand if you don't know what I am talking about since I should have refered to a comment by rec1940 regarding mp3. I apologize for this :oops:
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

gustaff wrote:@thenewguy I fully understand if you don't know what I am talking about since I should have refered to a comment by rec1940 regarding mp3. I apologize for this :oops:
No worries.

Regarding the move to a Debian base, does anyone know if the Debian version of Mint supports Ubuntu's Software Center and the software available for purchase through that channel? I know several small software makers use (or are looking to use) Ubuntu's store for distribution and I'm curious if that will be an option open to Mint users in the future?
colyn

Post by colyn »

thenewguy wrote:Regarding the move to a Debian base, does anyone know if the Debian version of Mint supports Ubuntu's Software Center and the software available for purchase through that channel? I know several small software makers use (or are looking to use) Ubuntu's store for distribution and I'm curious if that will be an option open to Mint users in the future?
If it is Ubuntu based software then the answer would be no.

Most Debian and Ubuntu software is not compatible..
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

rivenathos wrote:I am looking forward to having KDE join GNOME and Xfce as part of the Debian-based family. This is yet another step in the right direction for the future of Linux Mint.
+1 to this!

In fact, I was quite surprised to see Boo was even working on a Ubuntu based KDE . I am sure I read in here ages ago that all non-Gnome versions of Mint were moving to Debian based? I then saw talk about KDE 11 and thought, Oh well, one last version perhaps before the move. Looks like the terrible state of Kubuntu as a base has moved that decision along. Sooner the better for the change for mine!

If some of the "chicken little" chatter in this thread means we lose a few current users, well, so be it. As my grandfather used to say "don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!! This is not our distro, it is the developers! Clem et al have shown they listen to us as users but ultimately it is their call. If their decisions no longer meet your needs/wants; move on. Personally, I can tell you I have 20 or so users who will come flooding back to Mint ( with "latest" repo working) as soon as there is a Debian based KDE version. They could not care less about a point here or there in release numbers for apps. They simply got sick and tired of the Ubuntu base getting buggier and sloppy in its attempts to meet the fixed release schedule. I have temporarily parked them in Mepis for the conservatives and PCLinuxOS for the more adventurous - but once Ubuntu is gone from their preferred KDE, they will be back.

More power to you Boo, I am sure what you produce will be every bit as solid as all your past releases. Thank you for your efforts.

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
jezzivi

Post by jezzivi »

+1 for LMDE-KDE 8)
zole052

Post by zole052 »

jezzivi wrote:+1 for LMDE-KDE 8)
fioan89

Post by fioan89 »

I've seen quite a lot of pros and con's these days.I for one support Boo decision.And for those who are skeptics about new LMDE-KDE take a look at PCLinuxOS.If those guys can do it,Linux Mint can do it. PCLinuxOS is quite a good distro and if Linux Mint community support Clem,Boo and the other guy's there will be no worries for future.We just need to be patient,and try to give the best help we can for this guys.

Cheers!
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

solainix wrote:I am currently using Debian Stable (64 bit and Xfce) with backports and I am very satisfied with it. The problem with Testing is that at the beginning of the production cycle (right now) it can occasionally break (towards the end it tends to be rock-solid, though). This is not a huge issue for the experienced user but it can be a show-stopper for newbies and clearly it does not conciliate well with the original Mint concept. What I would propose for Mint would be Debian Stable with official backports plus extended backports from the Mint repos.

i agree. maybe the new 1 months update release will solve the stability issue.

i mean how else can someone claim to be newbie friendly and all that and then people can't start up their maschine after new update. ther eis a reaosn why testingn is called testing. testing is ment for testing and should be used for testing not as stable working environment.

Ubutnu works well on previous LTS, let's see the next one, cause i really wonder how good it will be.

also they did a crappy job with KDE implementation. i havent' tried the 11.04 yet, but will probably upgrade soon. i hope major bugs are solved. what annoys me most is that some simple bugs that were reported long ago and for which a working solution was provided still remain "unsolved".

Return to “Software & Applications”