Mint 11 hangs after being inactive for a while

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
beatink
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 11 hangs after being inactive for a while

Post by beatink »

When I leave my laptop running overnight, I find that my machine is locked up in the morning: black screen, an occasional sign of life from the hard-disk indicator, but nothing else. The only way to get out of it is to hold down the power button till the machine powers off. I have looked at other posts on similar topics and it seems like power management in Linux is not the greatest? E.g. suggestion never to use Suspend or Hybernate is a bit strange as those are standard features for any desktop operating system.

I have Power management preferences set to
Put computer to sleep when inactive for: never
When laptop lid is closed: suspend
Spin down hard disks when possible: ticked/enabled
Put display to sleep when inactive for: 30min
When the poper button is pressed: suspend
When the suspend button is pressed: suspend
Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 11 hangs after being inactive for a while

Post by Inkit »

Do you have your screensaver enabled? I have a system that behaves the same way, and after disabling the screensaver don't have any problem. Also is there any reason for you to leave the system on the whole night when you're sleeping. I know your comp is just a machine, but why not "Put it to sleep when inactive for ........some time", I'm sure it will appreciate the rest.
beatink
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beatink »

Yup, got my screensaver enabled (just love that ant crawling over the desktop). Sounds like a bug with Linux Mint; what does one do to raise an issue about it?

During the day it is good to have a screensaver, and apart from the crawling ant, I also like to use it to kick in a photo slide show. And the reason to leave the computer on overnight is to let it run downloads.
Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit »

Sometimes all it takes is disabling the screensaver. Hope your issue is resolved.
beatink
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beatink »

No, issue not resolved. I don't want to and surely shouldn't have to disable my screen saver... Again, the question how to raise a bug fix request with the good people that bring us Linux Mint?
sherbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sherbert »

Same here. I've had Mint 11 for 2 days (upgraded from Mint 7) and the new girl has hanged herself 5 or 6 times. I am not sure it is associated with screensaver, it seems to occur during steady work, too. I have 4 or 5 windows running, like everyone else, switching and refreshing and the time, page down, page up, STALL. Re-start. Only a matter of time and the lock up sets in.
Like everyone else, I'd appreciate some useful diagnosis,
thanks
beatink
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beatink »

sherbert wrote:Same here. I've had Mint 11 for 2 days (upgraded from Mint 7) and the new girl has hanged herself 5 or 6 times. I am not sure it is associated with screensaver, it seems to occur during steady work, too. I have 4 or 5 windows running, like everyone else, switching and refreshing and the time, page down, page up, STALL. Re-start. Only a matter of time and the lock up sets in.
Like everyone else, I'd appreciate some useful diagnosis,
thanks
Sounds like a different type of problem if it is happening while you are working away. Have you done a full software update? Beyond that suggestion, I'm too much of a newbie to Linux to offer any further help. But hang in there: support from fellow Mint-users is normally really good.

Return to “Newbie Questions”