Can't update LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
susisfreund

Can't update LMDE

Post by susisfreund »

Hello everybody,

yesterday I tried to install LMDE and it looked great and espeacially I like the idea of beeing debian based. But after a restart the menubutton had vanished. So I reinstalled everything. Then I wanted to update the installation and found out that more than 1000 packages had to be updated - which failed right away due to 'broken packages'. So I tried the new update-method (new incomming repo) which found only about 900 packages to update ... My machine worked for hours (due to information I had to provide) just to break near to completion :(

As I need my machine working I reinstalled ubuntu (which I don't really like because of the new unity desktop manager). I still would prefer LMDE but I think it would be necessary to build a new install-CD (LMDE 201107) because I think it's nearly impossible to update the current version ... :?:

Thanks Helmut
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: Can't update LMDE

Post by deleted »

Remember to refresh (update) before you do an upgrade with the synaptec.
rjs

Post by rjs »

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
if produces broken deps you can try...
sudo apt-get install -f

This happens on dist-upgrade occasionally as well.
Always worth a shot before manually fixing deps.

Hopefully the re-install of buntu is a temporary measure. :P
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1781

Please take the time to browse through the LMDE section of the forum . . your questions have been answered many times.

:)
rjs

Post by rjs »

Warning, this is brand new

Before I go on and tell you how to update your system for this… I’d like to warn everybody that is BRAND NEW! It’s a new concept, it comes with a new Update Manager and a brand new server. Like everything new in I.T. it holds great promises and it’s nicely designed, but it’s never been used on a large scale before and it hasn’t been faced with community testing yet.

For this reason, unless you’re interested in helping the team and the project in regards to LMDE, I would recommend you wait for the respins of LMDE which will come this summer and in which these features will be fully integrated.
That blog link provides information to the new server/configuration for batch/packaged updates. It's not part of the standard current LMDE install roms, nor is it configured to use such on installation. Configure and use at your own risk.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76920
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76873
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=77057

@rjs , sorry , I'll stop providing information . . never said anything about it containing a solution . . it's all your's ! :?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

susisfreund wrote: So I tried the new update-method (new incomming repo) which found only about 900 packages to update ... My machine worked for hours (due to information I had to provide) just to break near to completion :(
it has worked out for many others, with more or less trouble in the way though; without providing the error(s) that led to that breakage it's hard to reassure you it won't happen again
susisfreund wrote: As I need my machine working
so eventually incoming is not the best choice for you, you should go for latest
susisfreund wrote: I still would prefer LMDE but I think it would be necessary to build a new install-CD (LMDE 201107) because I think it's nearly impossible to update the current version ... :?:
the updated iso should be out soon, in the meantime, if you want to give it another go, check this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76556
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

zerozero, I started the LMDE test with the old LMDE iso, I just followed your instructions to the letter, by not upgrading 'till I had the test packages and not start thinking for myself 'till I had the test package installed.

Now I can play all I want. :) every install seems to have it's own "personality" right now I wish I could just shake up my install of Mint 10 and LMDE if I could just keep the good parts of both.

Other than a little more thinking involved, LMDE seemed over all to be a smother install than Mint 10 for me, might be also that I have an idea of what to expect now and had little with the Mint 10 install.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

wyrdoak wrote: Other than a little more thinking involved, LMDE ...
i think this is one of the key-sentences when one wants to describe LMDE, you can't go always on auto-pilot, sometimes you have to think, and that's why "it's great, but it's not for everybody"
rjs

Post by rjs »

richyrich wrote:http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76920
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76873
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=77057

@rjs , sorry , I'll stop providing information . . never said anything about it containing a solution . . it's all your's ! :?
I just think people need to understand the status of LMDE from the point of an experienced linux user. As of the minute I write this, it's not going to be an "UBUNTU" install for those that don't know the progression of Linux software. Nothing wrong with the new servers and package updates, and I'm sure the debian servers can use the relief no doubt. But I consider what I read, experience, and witness to be in a current progression, and not a fix all answer for frustrated ubuntu users. Not yet. Give it a bit. It will get there no doubt. Only Ubuntu asked for the influx of Linux Mint users, and Linux Mint as of this moment is getting them. The only way to help is to contribute with knowledge of Linux in general. For users seeking a simple desktop approach to replace ubuntu, LMDE is "NOT IT" for the moment. If you have linux experience, and want to move towards the LMDE solution, be prepared to manually fix or help resolve the issues and breakages. There are a few that can be helped with. That is my frustrated ubuntu user position on the matter, and more than happy to assist.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

I had the same issues with update as well. However what worked flawlessly for me was;
1) sudo apt-get update
2) sudo apt-get upgrade
It will report that it is hold back a slew of packages but no mind, just continue.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 till you get less than 100 updates (I think). I know I ran the update about 3 times. Then I ran the update from the panel and it worked fine.

I tell you what though, if you install and you get errors off the git go, it's kind of disconcerting to say the least. But I am a dogged type of person and finally got it sorted out.

Works great, no problems now.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

Whoops, forgot to mention that when doing the sudo apt-get upgrade, the next one you try will just report that it is holding back numerous updates. That is when you use the Update icon on the panel.
Apologies for messing up on the other post.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

But then I have not used apt-get upgrade.

Many people elsewhere recommend NOT to use apt-get upgrade.

Most common recommendation for distros-upgrade is

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
Jolinar

Post by Jolinar »

My understanding and forgive me if I'm wrong but if you entered the following:
sudo apt-get upgrade
this will upgrade packages that need upgrading
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
this will upgrade you to the next distro

for example you might be using Debian 5.0 (lenny), if you enter
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
then you will upgrade from Debian 5.0 (lenny) to Debian 6.0 (squeeze).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

from man apt:
update
update is used to resynchronize the package index files from their sources. The indexes of available packages are fetched from the location(s) specified in /etc/apt/sources.list. For example, when using a Debian archive, this command retrieves and scans the Packages.gz files, so that information about new and updated packages is available. An update should always be performed before an upgrade or dist-upgrade. Please be aware that the overall progress meter will be incorrect as the size of the package files cannot be known in advance.
upgrade
upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.
dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.
and furthermore LMDE is a rolling release, there's no next distro

Return to “LMDE Archive”