System Time on dual boot desktops [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
josefg
Level 2
Level 2

System Time on dual boot desktops [SOLVED]

Post by josefg »

Hi,

I have a few computers with LMDE, dualbooting with Windows XP and Windows 7.
Haven't figured out where or how to configure the clock so it stays the same on both systems.
Right now, Windows works with local time whilst Mont works with UTC... :(

Any recommendations as to what is the best way?
Not important to me if I change windows' or mint's settings.

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: System Time on dual boot desktops

Post by lmintnewb »

This thread mentions a fix for lmde. Well point of fact, A BUNCH of hacks and fixes for lmde from the looks of it. One of them for the prob you're having. Found this by searching the minty searchbar for "UTC lmde". I'm just going to give the whole link instead of quoting. As hopefully it's spot on for your prob. Plus looked like some other stuff ya(other lmde users) might find interesting. Don't vouche for everything there. Haven't used lmde myself but certainly can't hurt to look it over.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... de#p441119

Nevermind the one below, it's for xfce. Which tdockery was helping someone with a spec prob that more than likely doesn't apply to you. But the other one should.
One possible fix:

Open a terminal and type the following.
sudo gedit /etc/default/rcS

Change UTC=yes to UTC=no

Click on "Save" and then close the file. See if that fixes it.
Brought to you by a forum search for UTC in the magic minty search bar and a post from tdockery97. Lol ... ironic that I'm hopefully helping you find a fix. When I have a distro that still gives me this same headache installed and haven't figured it out yet myself. Oh well ... it's not my fav. Don't boot it as much as I once did and will get around to it. As long as I don't boot it up, system time stays where it should.

:D
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I usually deal with Debian based distros' time issue with two steps.

1.ensure that timezone is set correctly, if this is done correctly skip this step, else
# dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

2. install ntp, then wait for 1-2 minute, ntp will sync the time
# apt-get install ntp
josefg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by josefg »

Thanks lmintnewb,

The fix on the page you linked to worked.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Glad my magic forum search powers worked !!! ;)

Looked like the person who posted that went through alot of trouble to help any lmde users sort out problems with their system. Might want to bookmark it in case ya come up against any of the other probs and fixes mentioned in that thread. Looked like a good reference for lmde users. One of the mods made it sticky, so must be some good stuff and hacks there. lol ... Know whatcha means about the annoying UTC and time prob thing. Still haven't taken the time to figure out how to fix my problem child nix install that messes up my PC clock if I boot it.

:D

Return to “LMDE Archive”