Microphone works but software does not capture sound...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
r2rX

Microphone works but software does not capture sound...

Post by r2rX »

Hey guys,

There's a small issue which I am not quite sure how to troubleshoot/correct. I've installed TeamSpeak 3 Client to use at a LAN and it doesn't seem to register the microphone properly.

If I open Terminal and open 'alsamixer', I can enable the microphone (under 'Capture') and hear the sound captured via the mic on my headphones/speakers. However, when choosing an input device, in TeamSpeak, it won't pick anything up.

My machine has two audio devices : My GTX 480 HDMI audio and my on-board Realtek audio. On the taskbar, I right-click on the Volume icon and click 'Sound Properties'....under the input tab, it's blank.

TeamSpeak supports ALSA and PulseAudio....neither worked.

So, is there a way of enabling the microphone that software can capture the audio from the mic but not have it enabled that i'm hearing the sound through my headphones/speakers?

All the help is appreciated.

r2rX :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ukbrian

Re: Microphone works but software does not capture sound...

Post by ukbrian »

Not a 2.6.39 pae kernel by any chance?
r2rX

Post by r2rX »

As a matter of fact, it is the 2.6.39 kernel...not sure about pae, though. Is this a symptom/bug that's present in this kernel?

r2rX :)
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

I had some issues when I installed sound recorder, figuring out what to enable etc. You could play with sound recorder to test things too, if you want. One thing I did figure out is that you have to check the settings under > system > preferences > sound, on the recording tab I have a 'capture' then a capture1 and a digital, all of them by default have an 'x' meaning disabled by the mic symbol. You have to click it to get rid of the x. That may be so the system isn't picking up and trying to record things when you keep a mic plugged in all the time.

And, you have to check it whenever you log back in to your desktop after a reboot or just logging out, when you want the mic to record or capture. I have notes I could look up, but for me I think that I have a mic and a front mic, and one of them worked with my headset mic, and possibly the other worked with the webcam mic. I don't use either of them frequently atm. Hope that helps!
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Check that you have "gstreamer0.10-gconf" installed, every install i've made(lots) i have had to install that one, also boot into the earlier kernel 2.6.35 i think.

The last good solid kernel was 2.6.37 everything since has had problems, me I stick with the early kernel and everything just works :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”