why is linux always so pathetically slow?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: why is linux always so pathetically slow?

Post by tdockery97 »

@Habitual: "I didn't surrender neither. But they took my horse and made him surrender."

Prompted me to watch "The Outlaw Josey Wales" again. My favorite Clint Eastwood move. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Prompted me to watch "The Outlaw Josey Wales" again. My favorite Clint Eastwood move. :D
Mine too! I bought the movie because I liked it so much. :D
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

I bought a whole slew of DVDs at the swap meet and that was one of them. a Winner.

I also got Unforgiven.
Reminds me, it's time to watch Open Range again.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Whether it's FUD or genuine, is it appropriate to derail the thread? I'd suggest either lock, delete, or treat it as genuine and stay on topic.
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

...hmm...
Last edited by Bob E on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

monkeyboy wrote:Seriously, this is a classic example of age bias. I know teenagers who are drop dead serious about Linux and lumping them into your "not serious" group is an insult in my opinion.
Your opinion is wrong and I did not speak specifically about Linux. I think you know the behavior of teenagers, in which case you should understand what I meant... But yes, I know we must avoid the generalities and fortunately there are some teenagers who are relatively good/serious persons. :wink: But anyway, these words used in this topic, "flamewar", "troll"..., I repeat, are not/should not be words used by serious people... No insult in that. Btw, I work with teenagers and everybody is happy. :mrgreen:

I prefer not answering at some because I could, just could, use towards them the same words they use: FUD, troll, among other... Words I don't use usually. And this is not the place and I have no desire to start this, that is useless anyway... But thank you exploder for recognizing that Windows 7 (and XP SP3 too) is not a bad OS, on the contrary... Apparently here, many are just typical Linux fanboys... Quite sad.

P.S.= Please, don't make me say what I did not say. My purpose is not to defend the OP but just a reaction to some posts... Now, let's move on.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

linuxviolin wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:Seriously, this is a classic example of age bias. I know teenagers who are drop dead serious about Linux and lumping them into your "not serious" group is an insult in my opinion.
Your opinion is wrong

No, you just disagree with it. Do stick to the facts. Your own opinion is not necessarily "right", it's just that, your opinion.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

monkeyboy" Seriously, this is a classic example of age bias. I know teenagers who are drop dead serious about Linux and lumping them into your "not serious" group is an insult in my opinion.

LV: Your opinion is wrong and I did not speak specifically about Linux.

Come on dude read your post. Your on a Linux board, posting on a thread about Linux and calling people "Linux/(Free)BSD fanboys" and now you want to say your reply was not about Linux users? You post it you own it.

LV: "This topic can be a stupidity or something but "FUD", hmm... This is the favorite word used by the Linux/(Free)BSD fanboys when they don't like, are "disturbed" by or "displeased", something or by what someone says, or other things of this kind... Using words such this should be reserved to teenagers, not to serious people."

LV: "I think you know the behavior of teenagers, in which case you should understand what I meant..."

Nope, I cant read minds so why don"t you fill me in on what you meant about teenagers? I will be glad to pass your wisdom along to the teenagers I know for comment.

LV: But yes, I know we must avoid the generalities and fortunately there are some teenagers who are relatively good/serious persons. :wink:

Here it is again, where what you posted is not what you meant, Yet again the big spin.

LV: But anyway, these words used in this topic, "flamewar", "troll"..., I repeat, are not/should not be words used by serious people... No insult in that.

So a serious adult can't call a troll a troll or a fool a fool but fanboy is ok? What is your authority on that one and who made you the speech police?

LV: Btw, I work with teenagers and everybody is happy. :mrgreen:

Well, good for you.

LV: I prefer not answering at some because I could, just could, use towards them the same words they use: FUD, troll, among other... Words I don't use usually.

So if I walk into a bar and only occasionally call folks dorks or worse I shouldn’t get my butt kicked? Come on you either say or post something or you don’t, More spin there dude.

LV: Apparently here, many are just typical Linux fanboys... Quite sad.

Once again, you can call people "fanboys" and it is OK, but if other people use the term troll they are not what? Serious people?

LV: P.S.= Please, don't make me say what I did not say. My purpose is not to defend the OP but just a reaction to some posts... Now, let's move on.

I can't make you say or post anything but I can point to what you do post.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Why on earth has this degenerated into a slanging match?

If the OP prefers Windows, he/she can use Windows. I'm pretty sure that none of us are affected by his/her choice one way or the other. The same can be said about the OS of choice of any of the people posting here.

Let's be adult about this, guys. It isn't a kindergarten playground.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I find Windows is faster on my system too. That's because I run it off a SSD, which is what I need to maintain that speed for more than 3 months. After about 18 months the Windows rot is now catching up and things are going downhill. Pretty much any distro I load up boots off my HDD nearly as fast (and sometimes just as fast) as Windows 7 does on my SSD.

Now to be fair, I've installed Mint 10 on an old system with an Athlon XP and it was slow as a dog (so was Windows XP mind you). Hardware and software combinations are sometimes going to work brilliantly, sometimes adequately and often poorly. In some cases they don't work at all. That's the nature of the PC, so you just need to learn to live with it (ie. do your research). If you want to perfect combination, Apple sells that.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

monkeyboy, as I have already said, I have no desire to start a "debate" to explain what I meant, the words used etc, That is useless anyway and has nothing to see with the subject of this topic. But just three little things to show you're missing my points. (In French we have the expression: "être à côté de la plaque". I don't know the English translation but it's your case here) Or maybe you don't want to hear what I say and you just hear/see/read what you want to hear/see/read... :roll: (I make clear, to avoid any misunderstanding: do not take this as an attack, it is not one. er... :lol:)

monkeyboy wrote:Come on dude read your post. Your on a Linux board, posting on a thread about Linux and calling people "Linux/(Free)BSD fanboys" and now you want to say your reply was not about Linux users? You post it you own it.
Come on dude, re-read my post. I have just said: "Using words such this should be reserved to teenagers". Where in this sentence there is a word about Linux except in your mind? Anywhere. It was just an expression with a reference to the teenagers' usual behavior. No Linux here. "You post it you own it." :mrgreen:

monkeyboy wrote:I cant read minds so why don"t you fill me in on what you meant about teenagers?
I don't know your age but if you don't know the usual behavior of teenagers, then we can nothing for you. It's serious, doctor! :lol:

monkeyboy wrote:Here it is again, where what you posted is not what you meant
Nope. It is what I meant but I just added this sentence precisely to avoid reactions like yours. I say, see above, "usual behavior". But usual is just usual, and of course, and fortunately, some are somewhat "not usual". So I just made clear that I did not put everyone in the same bag.

Etc etc...

I stop here because, as I said at the beginning of this post, this is just useless and has nothing to see with the subject of this topic.

So, so long guy. :D
Last edited by linuxviolin on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
oysterboy

Post by oysterboy »

On my wife's computer, Windows XP SP3 is excruciatingly slow (even after a clean install - it gets worse afterward!). Linux distributions that I have installed on it (openSUSE, Linux Mint) are much, much, much faster - no comparison.
colyn

Post by colyn »

oysterboy wrote:On my wife's computer, Windows XP SP3 is excruciatingly slow (even after a clean install - it gets worse afterward!). Linux distributions that I have installed on it (openSUSE, Linux Mint) are much, much, much faster - no comparison.
I have a HP that came from the factory with Vista installed......slower than a snail....I then installed Mint on it and it has been working fine and fast..

OP........Does this make me a troll?????????????
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

colyn, I bought an HP computer a couple of years ago, Vista ran so slow that I wiped it out and installed Linux Mint on it after looking at Vista for about 10 minutes! Mint ran nice and fast, too bad a lightning strike destroyed that computer.... It's interesting how you and I both had the same experience. :)
colyn

Post by colyn »

exploder wrote:colyn, I bought an HP computer a couple of years ago, Vista ran so slow that I wiped it out and installed Linux Mint on it after looking at Vista for about 10 minutes! Mint ran nice and fast, too bad a lightning strike destroyed that computer.... It's interesting how you and I both had the same experience. :)
My nephew bought a HP computer a couple of years ago with Vista Basic. He had so much trouble with it he finally threw it in the trash after removing the hard drive and memory.

The only computer I lost to lightening was a custom built machine. After that I bought surge protectors so hopefully I won't lose another one..
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My HP was plugged in to a really good surge protector... I unplug my computer when it storms now. I salvaged the power supply, memory and combo drive and used them in a computer I built myself. The lightning strike took out an almost new computer, cable modem, router, one cat 5 cable and the power supply in my Wife's computer, it taught me a very expensive lesson! The cable company was nice enough to give me a new cable modem at no charge, they did not have to because it was not their hardware or in any way their fault but I had to replace everything else. I still have the processor out of the HP because it might still be good, I just don't have an Intel board to test it but it might come in handy someday.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

exploder wrote:colyn, I bought an HP computer a couple of years ago, Vista ran so slow that I wiped it out and installed Linux Mint on it after looking at Vista for about 10 minutes! Mint ran nice and fast, too bad a lightning strike destroyed that computer.... It's interesting how you and I both had the same experience. :)
Yes, OK. But for both, your HP computers had Vista... And Vista was not a good release. Vista was a failure. XP SP3 is quite good and stable and so is Win 7 too. Not sure if you had had Windows 7 your experience would have been so bad... Of course, you would also installed Mint since it's your baby for choice. :D :lol:

Oh and to avoid problems with lightning strike the best is to turn off the computer and disconnect the plug from the wall and away it from it. That's the best way, like with all electrical equipment: e.g. modem, TV ... And use only cordless phones to make calls when there is lightning. :wink:
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

So many people always overlook the basics on power protection basics.

Surge protectors ONLY protect against large surges. Micro surges happen in the dozens per day in areas with less then stellar power systems. Another myth is that a surge protector protects against lightning strikes, IT DOES NOT.

Lightning strikes 9 times out of 10 produced at best a micro surge. were your 110 turns to 130 or 140 volts for a brief second, this is deadly to electronics over time.

real protection requires the use of a good decent UPS (uninterpretable power source) with a decent surge protector to protect against them 10,000 and 20,000 volt surges that are extremely rare.

brownouts

micro surges

sudden power losses

these are the primary reasons to have a UPS and are far more common.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Errrrr ... based on only limited experience would have to conclude linux isn't slow. Some of the people who try to use linux ? Now that's a whole nother ball game. :D And yeah I know this is pointless. Some lame decided they'd post an inflamatory remark on a linux forum and feel oh so powerful and intelligent, laughing at the people bothering to respond to it. So yep, wasting my time posting. But what I typed above is totally true. If you can't figure out how to make linux blaze on a $3,000 dollar comp sys ...Then A, you have too much money. Because B ... ya darn sure aren't a rocket scientist. Also C, judging from the OP, would have to say you and M$ are perfect for each other. Keep using them, or more like having them use you ... enjoy !

:D
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

lmintnewb wrote:Errrrr ... based on only limited experience would have to conclude linux isn't slow.
I was thinking along the same lines.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”