fm3 preliminary package for testing.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendall

Re: fm3 preliminary package for testing.

Post by Kendall »

ju1ius wrote:Today I added the ability to monitor GTK bookmarks to fluxdgmenu.
So I think it is now pretty much feature complete, and I will concentrate on fixing bugs, if some of you are willing to report them :wink:
Awesomesauce. I'll start testing this evening.
ju1ius wrote:Kendall, regarding the logout app, I read in another post that you wanted to get rid of pygtk.
What is your approach then ?
pygtk is awesome and I'd use it for everything, however there's been a lot of rumors about deprecating it in favor of gtkbuilder and pygobject. I'd rather write it this way from the beginning just to be on the safe side.
xazax wrote:This is a good reason why it should not be the default, but i still feel that, if a distro aims to be lightweight, every opportunity to remove a daemon is welcome. And if somebody experienced enough, can manually update the menu, or assign the menu update method to a key.
Here at Mint there are often compromises between system resource usage versus "out of the box" user-friendliness (the update manager being the most obvious example). When I first started maintaining the Fluxbox edition I tried to cut out A LOT, however a good bit made it back in for the sake of user-friendliness.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Hi !

I pushed new changes to the gtk-logout app.
Heavy refactoring, and lots of translations added (thanks to the Gnome translators!).

Should be now pretty much feature complete, bug reports are welcome !
Kendall wrote:pygtk is awesome and I'd use it for everything, however there's been a lot of rumors about deprecating it in favor of gtkbuilder and pygobject. I'd rather write it this way from the beginning just to be on the safe side.
PyGtk will be deprecated, but for now I feel that the PyGObject - PyGI infrastructure for GTK2 is not really stable, and above all too much undocumented.
I created a branch of gtk-logout for PyGI, but I ran into too much issues and had a hard time finding accurate documentation, so I gave up.
I'll rather wait for GTK3 - PyGI to be stable and well documented before beginning porting code...
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Much groovy on the logout changes. Thanks a bunch.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Version 0.0.3 for testing is now available. It fixes a parsing error that was particularly annoying. Again for those who don't have it, the line to add the testing repo for fm3 is:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.kendalltristan.com/ unstable main
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

ju1ius wrote:I pushed new changes to the gtk-logout app.
Heavy refactoring, and lots of translations added (thanks to the Gnome translators!).
I went ahead and packaged this and put it in the testing repo as well. The version number ended up being ridiculous (1.0-dev+git20110715.579051c-1) but she's now available in .deb format for anyone who wishes to test it more simply. Since it does appear to be influenced by the "ciao" application in mint-fm2 (and possibly uses some of it's code) I put the license as GPL-2+. Let me know if I need to change this.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Kendall wrote:Since it does appear to be influenced by the "ciao" application in mint-fm2 (and possibly uses some of it's code) I put the license as GPL-2+
Well, technically it is based on oblogout, but it is GPLv2 anyway... :wink:
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Oh and I checked the .deb package:
gtk-logout doesn't really depends on python-dbus, consolekit, upower and policykit-1.
It can use them is they are present and the config file tells to do so.
If you don't want to include these packages in the base mint fluxbox edition, you can get rid of them, you'll just have to provide a relevant default config file.
See https://github.com/ju1ius/gtk-logout/wiki/Configuration.
Idem with python-cairo & python-imaging for the graphic effects.

So the right debian configuration for the package should be:

Depends: python-gtk
Recommends: python-dbus, consolekit, upower, policykit-1
Suggests:  python-cairo | python-imaging, xcompmgr
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Groovy. I'll update it as soon as I get time.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Packages for fluxdgmenu 1.0:
i386
amd64

Cheers !
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Hi,
I'll have some time these days to work on these projects so, If needed, I could build mint-tailored debian packages, to make things work out-of-the-box.
However I need to know more about the default packages included in next mint-fluxbox release:
  • Default file manager, web browser, terminal and package manager?
  • Default login manager (SLiM, LXDM, GDM...) ?
  • Will it use PolicyKit, UPower, ConsoleKit ?
  • Default icon theme ?
  • is depending on zenity allowed ?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

ju1ius wrote:Default file manager, web browser, terminal and package manager?
Thunar will be the default file manager. For the web browser, use "x-www-browser". For the terminal, use "x-terminal-emulator". Mint editions require top level menu access to "mintinstall".
ju1ius wrote:Default login manager (SLiM, LXDM, GDM...) ?
GDM
ju1ius wrote:Will it use PolicyKit, UPower, ConsoleKit ?
PolicyKit for sure, probably UPower, likely ConsoleKit will be in there as well.
ju1ius wrote:Default icon theme ?
Depends on what the next LMDE respin looks like.
ju1ius wrote:is depending on zenity allowed ?
It's certainly allowed, however I much prefer native C or Python implementations written into the application in order to keep everything as modular as possible.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

You do know that GDM3 uses a Gnome session as the greeter ? And that the display manager runs the whole time the session runs ?
That said, consolekit has stopped working with most or all other display managers.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

jeffreyC wrote:You do know that GDM3 uses a Gnome session as the greeter ? And that the display manager runs the whole time the session runs ?
That said, consolekit has stopped working with most or all other display managers.
Eventually I want to use LightDM, however at the moment its not in widespread use and is still unnecessarily buggy in some circumstances. At the immediate moment, GDM is really the only viable option on the Debian base, other than SLiM which is limited in features and quite outdated.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

I forgot to ask you what will be the default screensaver... :mrgreen:
Kendall wrote:PolicyKit for sure, probably UPower, likely ConsoleKit will be in there as well.
Ok so let's go with python-dbus for "shutdown", "reboot", "suspend" and "hibernate" actions...
Kendall wrote:GDM
...and gdmflexiserver for "switch user" action.

Kendall wrote:Zenity is certainly allowed, however I much prefer native C or Python implementations written into the application in order to keep everything as modular as possible.
I was thinking about something like this in the top level menu:

[exec] (Update Menu) {(fxm-daemon update) | zenity --progress --pulsate --auto-close}
[exec] (Regenerate Root Menu) {(fxm-daemon generate-rootmenu) | zenity --progress --pulsate --auto-close}
Kendall wrote:For the web browser, use "x-www-browser". For the terminal, use "x-terminal-emulator".
It has pros and cons:

Pros:
  • user doesn't have to change his menu manually when he installs a new web browser or terminal emulator
Cons
  • If we want "x-www-browser" to appear in the menu, we need a .desktop file for it. So it will add an useless "x-www-browser" entry in the Internet category... not such a big deal however.
  • Use case: I install Terminator, just to see if if fits me.
    The update-alternatives system automatically links x-terminal-emulator to /usr/bin/terminator.
    Lets say I like it for heavy console tasks but prefer to stick with lxterminal for quick one-liners, because it has a shorter startup time.
    My options are:
    • rtfm update-alternatives :-\
    • edit the menu file, which defeats the purpose of using x-terminal-emulator
So considering that there is no such thing as x-file-manager or x-package-manager, I personally thinks that it would be more consistent to be explicit about which applications go into the top-level menu.
Just my two cents but anyway I'll stick to Mint standard way of doing things if you confirm that.
Just wanted to be sure. :wink:
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

Kendall wrote:PolicyKit for sure, probably UPower, likely ConsoleKit will be in there as well.
Ok so let's go with python-dbus for "shutdown", "reboot", "suspend" and "hibernate" actions...

Could you please add Lock Screen in with other exit commands? I rarely shut down this old crt because it takes it forever to warm back up. Having to pull up xscreensaver or the terminal to lock screen is a pain. :)
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Gnarly wrote:Could you please add Lock Screen in with other exit commands?
Of course, I'm just waiting for an answer to this question:
ju1ius wrote:I forgot to ask you what will be the default screensaver... :mrgreen:
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

ju1ius wrote:I forgot to ask you what will be the default screensaver... :mrgreen:
Probably just xscreensaver.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Lightdm looks interesting, but the Ubuntu package requires upstart ( which I do not want ), and gtk3 (which is still fugly yet)
SLiM is hard to get to work with any consolekit newer than 0.4.1-4, but simple and easy to configure and make it look good.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Lightdm is now in Debian unstable, it does require gtk3.
I do not object to gtk3 on anything except that it currently is so ugly, there are not enough good themes, and the standard one is only a little better than Raleigh.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

The gtk-logout application has a broken dependency on python-gtk
I have python-gtk2 installed but that does not resolve the dependency

Return to “Software & Applications”