which one do I choose?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Robbhc

which one do I choose?

Post by Robbhc »

I live and work in Timor Leste, one of youngest nations in the world :D . This counrty is only just moving to it's 10th year of development :) , something that I think Linux developers can relate to 8) . However, there are still many issues need dealing with, the communication company :x , Timor Telecom :twisted: , is the only one here. So internet access can be expensive, IE. I have to pay for the amount of data used, $50 per GB per month :x .
So when I choose to download an OS from Linux, I need to make sure I get it right the first time.

I operate an Toshiba Satilite L500 laptop, currently the OS is Windows 7, broadband here is via a 3G network. I have been trying to get my head around all the options at Linux :? , as Windows here is under constant attack from virus's. After checking out Ubuntu, I have decided to go with Mint 11. Now I only need to decide on what version to download.

1.DVD full version..but has no windows installer, I am going to guess the the windows installer is a program that allows the OS to run windows programs, much like WINE Doors, something that is a requirment here. As the 3G Network Modems will only operate with a Windows or Mac. System. :roll:

2. the CD version, has the windows installer, but I will need to download the media codecs later. :| :arrow:

My question is, am I correct in assuming that the windows installer will enable me to rum Windows programs? Or will I find out later that I will need to download another progam later, in order to run any Windows programs? :?:

Understand that the ONLY Internet network available in Timor Leste, operates from a Windows or Mac compatable Modem.

Do I go with door no.1......or door no. 2 ? I will only get one shot at this, so is very important I get the right one first off, going back and downloading another OS is not an option.

I have even been thinking about waiting for Mint 12 to come out with the hope of a better idea on my options.

Regards
Robert
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: which one do I choose?

Post by richyrich »

Have you run the Live Disk and tried to connect ?

ps - please take the time to read the Mint 11 Release Notes , and be sure to check out the known issues for anything that might affect you, downloading the Mint 11 User Guide is also a good idea.
Robbhc

Post by Robbhc »

No Live CD. no news agents here to buy the Linux mag. Would need to travel to Australia to do this. There is no postal service ether, the a postal service is in development, though I will check out the user guide.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

sorry . . I assumed you could download the freely available iso file and burn the image to a blank disk yourself. :(

I still suggest that you read up on Mint 11's known issues before you decide.

example : list of locations available for you to download Mint 11 32bit dvd : http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=81
Robbhc

Post by Robbhc »

:idea: OK :) ...I have read the user guide :wink: ...I read about the known issues :roll: .....I still have just one question :?: ............................................................................... :arrow:

IF I install Mint 11 onto my Laptop, will I be able to use a MS Windows program without the the need of an EXTRA Emulator progam? :?:
lordmax
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lordmax »

Robbhc wrote::idea: OK :) ...I have read the user guide :wink: ...I read about the known issues :roll: .....I still have just one question :?: ............................................................................... :arrow:

IF I install Mint 11 onto my Laptop, will I be able to use a MS Windows program without the the need of an EXTRA Emulator progam? :?:
No.
You need at least to install wine to run a windows program
Ogni storia è vera, semplicemente alcune non sono mai accadute. [SandMan]
Robbhc

Post by Robbhc »

Thank you lord max...this is all I really needed to know..so here is one thing I don't understand...If I run a Live CD, it will run Widows Programs, but as soon as it is installed it will no longer run these programs..I have had this experiance with Ubuntu..so why oh why...dosn't Linux add Wine or wine doors to it's installed OS? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
lordmax
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lordmax »

Hi

I don't know.
I know that you need wine to run windows programs... and you takes a couple of minutes to install it from package manager.
Ogni storia è vera, semplicemente alcune non sono mai accadute. [SandMan]
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

The Windows installer, Mint4Win, does not enable you to run windows programs, it is a program to install Mint from Windows. You would boot into Windows like normal, then insert the cd and run Mint4Win, which then installs Mint alongside Windows, and the next time you start up your computer, you can choose between booting into Windows or Mint. I don't think it is necessary as you can install Mint directly from the live cd or dvd without using Mint4Win.

The program you are thinking of is called Wine, which allows you to install Windows software within Linux. However, I understand that not all Windows programs work properly under Wine. I recommend that since you already have Windows, you keep your Windows installation and install Mint side-by-side with Windows using the live dvd. That way you can browse the internet safe from viruses with Mint, but use Windows when you need to run a Windows program that does not work under Wine. Make sure to read advice on how to prepare your system to dual boot Windows and Mint. You will want to clean up and defragment your Windows drive first because you will have to shrink the Windows partition on your hard drive to make space for Mint.

I recommend you download the full dvd version. The reason is that the files on the dvd or cd are compressed, so downloading and installing the dvd will actually use less bandwith than downloading and installing the cd and then installing the additional codecs and applications, because the additional items you install will have to be downloaded from the internet at full size, not compressed.

edit - I just saw that you say the only internet connection operates from Windows or Mac operating system (with 3G?). I am not familiar with accessing the internet from Linux using 3G. Someone else may have to help you with that.
Robbhc

Post by Robbhc »

Thank you Edwardr, you have been very informative, I have a much better understanding of how it all operates now...am hoping the I can run G3 with Linux, if I am succsssful I will post it. :wink:
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Do you use a 3G USB modem? Looking around I see there are posts about people using 3G USB modems. You should research which Linux distributions are compatible with your modem.
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

Robbhc wrote:Thank you Edwardr, you have been very informative, I have a much better understanding of how it all operates now...am hoping the I can run G3 with Linux, if I am succsssful I will post it. :wink:

I would not recommend this option. I have run Linux Mint on several macs and first, there is no direct support in Linux Mint 11 for the PPC. There are some forums out there about running linux on a ppc that are helpful and you will find more on the Ubuntu forums. I would always recommend Mint over Ubuntu though.

I would recommend downloading the DVD and install Linux Mint alongside Windows for now until you are sure this is your direction. If you need to you can always have Windows recover the space you dedicated to Linux.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

MarkX, he meant a 3G modem, not a Mac G3.
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

Yeah, I saw that after I hit submit. I was on a lot of mac forums before I posted that and I was searching for something on the macbook when I saw the three G. The only problem after that was I could not fix it because some idiot with a back hoe cut the cable companies line and I lost Internet for 2 days!!!

So sorry for posting like an idiot =)

Return to “Beginner Questions”