Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

zerozero

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by zerozero »

these are mintmenu's depends
Depends: python (>= 2.4), python (<< 3), python-gtk2, python-glade2, deskbar-applet, mint-common, python-gmenu, python-gnomeapplet
i don't believe we can find all of them in gtk3, there's the issue, a rebuild is needed.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Gnome Shell is back for X64 as of this evening updates..... :D Glad to see my friendly Shell again!!!!!!
edke

Post by edke »

autocrosser wrote:Gnome Shell is back for X64 as of this evening updates..... :D Glad to see my friendly Shell again!!!!!!
I'm watching closely this thread for quite some time, I'm eager to test Gnome Shell myself. But I have to tell, I'm completely lost in many options and directions how to achieve this. Can someone write down some steps, how to install Gnome shell and on what distro (if LMDE, or sid, or testing ...).
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

autocrosser wrote:Gnome Shell is back for X64 as of this evening updates..... :D Glad to see my friendly Shell again!!!!!!
Yep, after using the fallback mode I was missing mostly the mouse gestures (activities corner).

@edke: I'm using plain Debian sid (no LMDE in it except for the ubuntu fonts) so I would be able to help you if you upgraded to sid. If you want to keep the Debian testing base then someone else would have to counsel you.
Also I don't know if the LMDE tweaks affect something.
GregE

Post by GregE »

edke wrote:I'm watching closely this thread for quite some time, I'm eager to test Gnome Shell myself. But I have to tell, I'm completely lost in many options and directions how to achieve this. Can someone write down some steps, how to install Gnome shell and on what distro (if LMDE, or sid, or testing ...).
Firstly there is no easy way yet for Debian or Mint.

The simplest way in the Debian universe is to install Xubuntu or Kubuntu and add the Gnome3 PPA and follow the instructions on the PPA and in the Ubuntu forums. Or get Fedora 15 which is native Gnome3, if you want to branch out.

On page 7 of this thread I spelled out the way to do it if you are determined to use Linux Mint Debian. Start with LMDE Xfce edition.

I would not do this on your main computer unless you are willing to accept that you might stuff everything and have to start again. I used an old spare to experiment on until I was happy to put it on my main box. I now run it on my desktop and notebook and my daughter's desktop.

Good Luck.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Sorry that I can't add much to this---i am using "Expermintal"--Mint Testing base upgraded, so I'm most likely running further than most would be comfortable with....I think, sadly enough, that the xubuntu path would be safest......
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

edke, i think you already got all the advises you need :D
1- if you want gnome-shell ootb grab fedora15 - been using it since the end of march and it's a very good experience (well lately to be honest i haven't boot it - to many options, not enough time :cry: )
2 - if you want to experimint, start with LMDE-xfce as GregE said and follow his and autocrosser steps back on pg 7 when i jumped in: it's a lot more fun, a bit harder, you build your shell almost bit by bit, but hey it's a great lesson 8)
3 - the ubuntu way, sorry no idea.
edke

Post by edke »

zerozero wrote:edke, i think you already got all the advises you need :D
1- if you want gnome-shell ootb grab fedora15 - been using it since the end of march and it's a very good experience (well lately to be honest i haven't boot it - to many options, not enough time :cry: )
2 - if you want to experimint, start with LMDE-xfce as GregE said and follow his and autocrosser steps back on pg 7 when i jumped in: it's a lot more fun, a bit harder, you build your shell almost bit by bit, but hey it's a great lesson 8)
Thank you all for your directions. I tried Fedora 15 when in beta to see Shell for the first time. But I'd like to test and try to work in it under Debian as it's most comfortable way of installing/configuring my working development.

I'll try to use autocrosser's way in LMDE-xfce as I left Ubuntu for mint 2 months ago.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Just for you to know.
In Debian sid (from Debian testing: add sid repos and apt-get dist-upgrade), just add the experimental repo(s) line(s) (plural in case you add both deb and deb-src), add a file /etc/apt/preferences.d/gnome with the following contents

Code: Select all

Package: alacarte banshee* *brasero* cheese dmz-cursor-theme ekiga empathy* evince* *evolution* file-roller *gconf* gdm3 *gnome gnome-activity-journal gnome-applets* gnome-backgrounds gnome-bluetooth gnome-cards-data gnome-control-center* gnome-desktop3-data gnome-disk-utility gnome-doc-utils gnome-games* gnome-icon-theme* gnome-media* gnome-menus gnome-session* gnome-settings-daemon gnome-shell *gstreamer* gvfs* libcamel* libchamplain* libebackend* libebook* libecal* libedata* libegroupwise* libevent* libgdata11 libgdu-gtk* libglib2.0* libgnome* libnm-* libnotify* libpanel-applet-4-0 *nautilus* network-manager* notification-daemon python-gmenu rhythmbox* seahorse* *software-properties* sound-juicer system-config-printer tomboy *totem* transmission* update-notifier vino xdg-user-dirs-gtk yelp
Pin: release experimental
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release experimental
Pin-Priority: 150
and apt-get dist-upgrade.

Then as packages from the list leave experimental (towards sid) (they show up as obsolete in Synaptic), delete them from the file.

This page may help too.
Telling it because it's quite simple indeed (at least starting from sid. Keeping testing as a base I guess is almost as simple but a bit different). And has been very safe for me (my use is quite basic).
Last edited by secipolla on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

And welcome to the "Testing" group!!!! You'll like G-S--works sweet & there are just starting to be enough mods to customize your Shell the way you want it......... :D
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

zerozero wrote:edke, i think you already got all the advises you need :D
Yes--I try to not advocate Ubuntu at all any more...nice that secipolla came in with the pinning list---I just let everything from "Expermintal" come into my system--I like debugging with the Devs--the Debian guys are WAY more on top of it (as compared to Ubuntu)--I've been a Gnome Bugzilla & Debian Bug list member for several years now & like the interaction with Devs......
edke

Post by edke »

Guys, have some progress here, had my Debian updated to sid, pinned gnome packages as you suggested, still have problem installing some packages.

Can someone please show me it's sources.list ? Don't know how to combine testing, experimental and unstable repos.
edke

Post by edke »

edke wrote:Guys, have some progress here, had my Debian updated to sid, pinned gnome packages as you suggested, still have problem installing some packages.

Can someone please show me it's sources.list ? Don't know how to combine testing, experimental and unstable repos.
Put something together,

sources: http://pastebin.com/L8bT3Pn4
installed packages: http://pastebin.com/TQjvYy5q

and then trying to install gnome3-session and gnome-shell

root@gorgoroth:~# apt-get install gnome3-session gnome-shell
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'gnome-session' instead of 'gnome3-session'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gnome-session : Depends: gnome-settings-daemon (>= 3.0) but 2.30.2-3 is to be installed
                 Recommends: gnome-session-fallback but it is not going to be installed
 gnome-shell : Depends: gnome-settings-daemon (>= 2.91.5.1) but 2.30.2-3 is to be installed
               Recommends: gnome-control-center but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i follow autocrosser's advise leaving all the taps open :lol: but anyway here it is

inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
           deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
           deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
           deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
           deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i think you have to specify the experimental repo, try this

sudo apt-get install -t experimental gnome-session gnome-themes-standard gnome-control-center gnome-keyring gnome-media libdconf0 dconf-tools gsettings-desktop-schemas
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p446023
edke

Post by edke »

zerozero wrote:i think you have to specify the experimental repo, try this

sudo apt-get install -t experimental gnome-session gnome-themes-standard gnome-control-center gnome-keyring gnome-media libdconf0 dconf-tools gsettings-desktop-schemas
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p446023

WOW, forgot that (and I was trying it that way before). Got huge list of new installs and upgrades, looks promising :) APT is runnig, will report later. Do I need to install proprietary flgrx to run shell ?
karashata

Post by karashata »

Glad to see GNOME Shell back up and running on x64... I have to ask though, has anyone else noticed the custom CSS for their extensions being broken/ignored? My installed extensions seem to be missing their spacing and/or are misaligned, and I'm unsure as to why, or how to possibly fix it. Anyone have any ideas..?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@edke, yes the proprietary drivers are required to run the shell, otherwise you'll end up in fallback-mode;

@karashata, i'm just now doing the first update in about a week, so no idea, if anything unusual happens i'll report back :lol:
edke

Post by edke »

zerozero wrote:@edke, yes the proprietary drivers are required to run the shell, otherwise you'll end up in fallback-mode;
Victorious !!! Gnome shell is running. But strange, I have no fglrx installed yet, and no fallback mode, Gnome shell running nicely !!

root@gorgoroth:/home/kraken# lsmod  | grep fglrx
root@gorgoroth:/home/kraken# aptitude search fglrx
p   fglrx-atieventsd                              - external events daemon for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD
p   fglrx-control                                 - control panel for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display 
v   fglrx-control-qt3                             -                                                         
p   fglrx-driver                                  - non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver                
p   fglrx-glx                                     - proprietary libGL for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD disp
p   fglrx-glx-ia32                                - proprietary libGL for the non-free ATI/AMD display drive
p   fglrx-modules-dkms                            - dkms module source for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD dis
p   glx-alternative-fglrx                         - allows the selection of FGLRX as GLX provider   
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well what can i say? with nvidia doesn't work, go figure that :lol:
but anyway glad you got it up and running and welcome to the shell 8)

Return to “LMDE Archive”