Linux kernel 3.0.0, anyone?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Brian49

Linux kernel 3.0.0, anyone?

Post by Brian49 »

I've been trying out Linux kernel 3.0.0, of which rc6 can be found in the Experimental repository. I don't regularly track that repository, just load it in Synaptic from time to time to see what's in there.

So far, this kernel only results in one small glitch on my system: acpi-cpufreq isn't found at the appropriate moment in the boot process. I can still get acpi-cpufreq to load by inserting a line in /etc/modules, and frequency scaling works fine once bootup has completed.

I would be interested to know whether anyone else has tried out this kernel, please, and whether the above or any other glitches have been found. Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
autocrosser

Re: Linux kernel 3.0.0, anyone?

Post by autocrosser »

I've been tracking the Experimental repository for the last several months (see my thread about Gnome-Shell) & have been using the 3.0.0 kernel for about a week & 1/2 (RC5 then RC6) now without any problems....

Really liking it. :D
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

curious to know if this kernel 3RC would resolve the battery drain problems on earlier kernels reported by many Laptop users. Anyone can confirm?
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

You are aware that the big 3.0 change is numbering only right? It's not some new evolution of the kernel with major enhancements and changes.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

ThistleWeb wrote:You are aware that the big 3.0 change is numbering only right? It's not some new evolution of the kernel with major enhancements and changes.
Yes--It's "really" 2.6.40 or so.....Maybe .41.... :D

We need to wait until 3.0.1 for "major" changes.... :lol:
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Thanks very much for responding. I was aware of the version numbering. However, I'm noticing greatly improved memory performance with this version as compared with 2.6.39, so something significant seems to have changed.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Kernel 3.0.0-1 final is now in the repository.
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Brian49 wrote:Kernel 3.0.0-1 final is now in the repository.
Ok, I am a noob. How do I go about installing it?
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

First, consider whether you have any need to install it at all; if the kernel you are currently using is functioning well, you may be better off sticking with it.

If you wish to try out the latest kernel, you will have to add the Experimental repository to your software sources:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free

After loading this repository in Synaptic Package Manager, you will be able to find and install the new kernel; look for entries beginning with "linux-headers" and "linux-image".

Keep your existing kernel installed in case you need to revert to it. You can choose which kernel to load from the list which appears on the GRUB menu during the boot process. The newest kernel will appear at the top of the list and will load by default unless you select another.

Then disable the Experimental repository, because it will notify you of all sorts of package upgrades, some of which could mess up your system if installed.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Actually 3.0.0-1 is in sid.

$ apt-cache policy linux-image-3.0.0-1-486
linux-image-3.0.0-1-486:
Installed: 3.0.0-1
Candidate: 3.0.0-1
Version table:
*** 3.0.0-1 0
500 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ uname -a
Linux debian 3.0.0-1-486 #1 Sun Jul 24 13:43:13 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Kernel 3.0.0 is far to be excellent. People have some problems with network and WiFi ("/proc/net/routes is a bit strange with 3.0+ kernels"...) and as said Jesse Smith, a member of the DistroWatch Team:
I got it loaded on a machine this morning and it's measurably sluggish compared to older versions. I'm not thinking this is a good sign.
"Yes! Sluggishness in my case too! Screw Linus and his Politbureau!"

As someone said:
What I like in Linux is never the kernel. Never ever. It's monolithic, impossible to be properly tested, (...) The only kernels I loved were 1.2.13 and 1.3.18. After that, the kernel was just a nuisance -- like the government, the taxes, the Microsoft tax, etc.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

craigevil wrote:Actually 3.0.0-1 is in sid.
Apologies - I have both Unstable and Experimental enabled, and assumed the 3.0 kernel would hit Experimental first.

So the repository to be added to software sources is:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

I haven't noticed any sluggishness with this kernel.
victorsk

Post by victorsk »

Hi everyone,

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but have a question on the topic. I'm currently downloading kernel 3.0 and I selected 'linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae-dbg' together with other related packages.

Question - is 'linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae-dbg' a must have? It says it's a debugging package but how is it used exactly? It also seems to be the largest one 531MB and the actual linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae was just 30.2MB

Why is 'linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae-dbg' so much larger than actual linux-image?

Thanks,
Victor.

EDIT:
---------

Just a quick update that I've install kernel 3.0.0 then ran 'dist-upgrade' and it works really great. The most noticeable improvement I see is web pages seem to load faster. I'm really enjoying LMDE now :)

P.S. still not sure what linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae-dbg is for though :?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

victorsk wrote:The most noticeable improvement I see is web pages seem to load faster.
:lol:

A good summary (in French) on kernel 3.0.0 Kernel: Le noyau Linux est disponible en version 3.0 It's in French but maybe/probably some here can read French. You can also try to use a web translator...

I thought this could be interesting, despite the language...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

linuxviolin wrote:
victorsk wrote:The most noticeable improvement I see is web pages seem to load faster.
:lol:

A good summary (in French) on kernel 3.0.0 Kernel: Le noyau Linux est disponible en version 3.0 It's in French but maybe/probably some here can read French. You can also try to use a web translator...

I thought this could be interesting, despite the language...
You really out to install Chromium with the language packs ... auto-translates to a native language. ;) Here is the page in english...

Kernel The Linux kernel is available in version 3.0
Posted by patrick_g ( personal page )on 22/07/11 at 07:57. Moderated by Xavier Teyssier . CC by-sa License
Tags: kernel linux core
July

The stable release of version 3.0 of the Linux kernel has just been announced by Linus Torvalds. The new kernel is, as usual, downloadable from the site's servers kernel.org .

The renumbering of the core is the opportunity to take a nod to the 176 clairvoyant survey LinuxFr of January 2010 who had guessed that this kernel 3.0 would come out this year. Congratulations!

The details of the latest developments and is in the second part of the mail.

PS: Thanks to Michael Barrett for contributing to this dispatch by adding the reference to the poll Linux 3.0.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.

Return to “LMDE Archive”