NiksaVel-Mint iconset RC-3

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

NiksaVel-Mint iconset RC-3

Post by NiksaVel »

here's the much reworked version of my iconset for gnome... hopefully it will be good enough for being included in Cassandra official release...

There are still some minor tweaks I need to work out... (i.e. my wine category icon doesn't work for some reason), but otherwise it should be BY FAR the most complete iconset out there.... it is already a combination of about 10 different themes that I liked as well as dozens of icons I've done myself or reedited others...

I want some critics guys :)

http://www.linuxmint.com/mintart/tmp/Ni ... int.tar.gz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Cassandra is going out anytime now... this won't make it in time. We can look at it for mintArt and 3.1 though.

Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

d1wayne:

1) if I use just one name than in some areas you wont get an icon.. as for the ethernet icon on te networked printer, I just added this icons... I'll make a new release soon... especially seeing that I have time to perfect it for 3.1 if you notice anything else missing or that could be improved please let me know.

2) yes that's correct... but I prefer it this way... the icons are meant for general installation of gnome... as such they will behave just fine... now if you tweaked your gnome interface to display icons of a larger size, they will adapt with the loss of quality. Including .svg icons would result in a ridiculously large files... (about x3)... if I set them to fixed on the other hand - I'd be actually preventing you from tweaking your screen the way you want to because the icons would always remain the same fixed size..
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I love some of the icons, I regret others... I need to get used to it a bit before I can give you feedback. First impression, they're a bit smaller than the default ones... I can see the menu looking more empty for instance.

Other problem: 15MB !!! :)

Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

all feedback is welcome...

so far I am trying to figure out how to replace the ndisgtk and xorg-edit icons... this appear to be the last menu entries that are not changed... and the orange update notifications icon in tray... I don't know how these should be named, and if you do let me know :D

I don't think they are really smaller, but when scaled down for menu some loose too many details so I have to make modifications - again, all feedback is welcome... :D

the size can be scaled down quite a bit - there are no shortcuts in there, but there are a lot of identical icons under different names.... for the final release I'll make all the shortcuts... to help the size...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

okay... I've made even further corrections to the theme...

now, I can't for the life of me figure out how to make replacement icons for:

ndisgtk and
xorg-edit

I've actually found xorg-edit.xpm in /usr/share/pixmaps but creating a xorg-edit.png icon in my .../.icons/mytheme/apps/ directory doesn't have any effect.

I've also found
/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/network-config.png this is the identical icon for the ndisgtk but my alternate network-config.png is not getting loaded...

:?
-Clem
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

You definitely cant release any icon set that contains apple proprietary icons under the GPL, and Apple are notorious for litigating against anyone who uses their icons in released software, as shown by their recent iphone attack, http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/ ... icons.html
your technically only allowed to use them if you own OSX
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

heh... just more and more problems ... bah! I've actually used only icons that are in various other icon themes I've found on gnome-look.org made some derivations of those as well as some that are completely my work....

Since I've never EVER used OS X I have no idea which icons might be infringing... can anyone help out here? I'd really appreciate it :)
-Clem
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

well if your just posting it as a theme on gnome look or something it wont really bother apple, but if your using it as default in an OS then apple tend to get a bit touchy :)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

nah... I'm gonna clear it out... haven't realised those are copyrighted icons in there... :)
-Clem
verdegal37

Post by verdegal37 »

Hey NiksaVel , Thanks good work installed remains well enough. :wink:
Thanks;
Agust
surfer57
Level 3
Level 3

Re: NiksaVel-Mint iconset RC-3

Post by surfer57 »

very cool set of icons.... 8)
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

I like them, but you must change Folder icon, because I feel that I'm using Vista
Linux Mint apps translator
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I liked this, however, I have one little issue... When the wireless signal gets low enough, it 'returns to default' (below 6% strength, think).
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

thanks for pointing it out... I'll see what I can do about it :) I might actually possibly have some free time soon to work a bit more on the mintArt stuff :)
-Clem

Return to “Your Artwork”