Banshee sound menu integration in Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Kazmirzak

Banshee sound menu integration in Debian

Post by Kazmirzak »

Hi,

today I tried the live Mint 11 DVD and what I liked a lot was that you could start and stop Banshee playlists direclty through the system sound menu on the bottom right corner of the screen. I installed Banshee and it works fine, but it wouldn't integrate into the menu.

On the internet I found that you need the package banshee-extension-soundmenu, but however, that does not exist in the package manager of Debian!?
(for a screenshot look here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/how- ... ntu-10-10/ )

So do you know hoe to integrate Banshee in the sound menu of debian?

thanks alot!
Jürgen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Banshee sound menu integration in Debian

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not sure you can. On LM11 this feature of the sound menu is coming from Ubuntu, where this is possible because they have rewritten the way applications and information is shown on the panel. You would need the Ubuntu "indicator" applets libraries, but I don't think these are available in the default repositores?
Kazmirzak

Post by Kazmirzak »

hi,

in apt we have:

indicator-applet
indicator-applet-appmenu
indicator-applet-complete
indicator-me
indicator-applet-session
indicator-session
libindicator-dev
libindicator3

They are all not installed, but installing them would not bring me any further as there is no plugin for banshee I could install.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You need either package banshee-extension-soundmenu or banshee-extension-appindicator I think, these are installed on LM11 with Banshee.
Kazmirzak

Post by Kazmirzak »

Hi,

neither banshee-extension-soundmenu nor banshee-extension-appindicator are in the repos of Linux Mint Debian. Where are they?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

They are in the Ubuntu repos. You can try downloading a .deb file and installing it manually. Following is link to the packages, just click through to probably natty and download the correct package (i386 for 32 bits, amd64 for 64 bits): http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... -soundmenu

You can look up the other package in the same way.

To install, just double-click the file and Gdebi will launch. It will check if you meet the dependencies of the package before it installs.
Kazmirzak

Post by Kazmirzak »

thanks so far. I successfully installed banshee-extension-soundmenu, it pulled all dependencies automatically and I activated the plugin within the settings of banshee. Alas, nothing happens, nothing pops up above the volume bar...

(I couldn't get banshee-extensions-appindicator working because of another set of dependencies;in no version it supports banshee-extensions-common 2.0.1.1, which all the rest is based on, but I don't think this is needed as the appindicator is something else, not the volume bar)

So what else could be missing? What applet do you use for volume?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

indicator-sound
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You may also need:
indicator-application
indicator-appmenu

Other than those I have no more indicator things installed than you list. You will have to add the indicators to the panel of course.

Return to “LMDE Archive”