Linux Mint Debian - blank screen

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tah_206207

Linux Mint Debian - blank screen

Post by tah_206207 »

Hello
I am newbie for linux mint!
i have problem in starting my Linux mint!
when i boot my LMDE i encounter with blank screen
my laptop is Hp pavilion dv6t( dv6 6080 ) this laptop has to graphic card one is intel sandy bridge card and other is ati radeon 6070m
I add these options after i encounter with blank screen to grub menu i clear quiet and add noacpi noapci nosplash irqpoll-- but after that i encounter with blank screen! so i do another work!
i boot LMDE in safe mode! and go to terminal and do these

Code: Select all

nano /etc/modprobe.conf/blacklist.conf
add
blacklist radeon

nano /etc/rc.local
add

modeprobe radeon
echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
and reboot system and boot LMDE but i encounter with blank screen with blink dash(-)!!! :oops: :oops: :(
i do these in ubuntu and it can boot but in LMDE i can't boot system!!
i want to use LMDE
please help me to fix my problem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tah_206207

Re: Linux Mint Debian - blank screen

Post by tah_206207 »

No every one have information about this problem?
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

In the terminal:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
And reboot.

That should get you to a working desktop. Then think about using sgfxi (http://smxi.org/) to install the properiety gfx drivers.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
tah_206207

Post by tah_206207 »

Roken wrote:In the terminal:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
And reboot.

That should get you to a working desktop. Then think about using sgfxi (http://smxi.org/) to install the properiety gfx drivers.
Thank you for reply
i cant find xorg.conf in /etc/X11 path!
do you have any other suggestions?
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

OK, I can't test anything because I don't have a dual graphics option to test with, but this looks promising for getting things working:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Vga_switcheroo

Don't worry that it talks about fedora - it should work just as well on Debian
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
tah_206207

Post by tah_206207 »

Roken wrote:OK, I can't test anything because I don't have a dual graphics option to test with, but this looks promising for getting things working:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Vga_switcheroo

Don't worry that it talks about fedora - it should work just as well on Debian
Thanks
Does LMDE kernel supports sandy bridge graphic card?
i don't installed any new kernel on LMDE!
tah_206207

Post by tah_206207 »

I have to compile new kernel for LMDE?
which kernel use battery like win7?
i switch from ubuntu to LMDE because ubuntu kernel use many battery life however i add pcie_aspm=force to grub.conf! and kernel has issue in ubuntu
please help me to choose best.
i want to use linux on my system but linux use many battery life!!
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

OK - building a kernel takes a little more time (and research) than you would think, but can certainly be done optimally for your needs with a little patience. Gingerbread man provided a nice, simple guide here - http://gingerbread-man.co.cc/node/4

The time consuming part is at make xconfig (or make menuconfig as you prefer), when you get to configure the kernel options that you need. Running make oldconfig will copy the configuration options from your running kernel, but you will still need to tweak, and having google handy is practically a must to determine what the multitude of options do.

Once you have all your configuration options ready it's a simple matter to build and install the kernel. Since you are running LMDE it's low risk to experiment, since you can always boot with a working kernel and try again if things go wrong. You can also save your .config file and re-use it for future builds.

Note that different kernel version will have some differing options, so you will almost always have to tweak a little.

Edit: I wrote a simple bash script to help things along a little:

#!/bin/bash
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
	echo "Please include a version string"
	exit
fi
#patch -p1 <~/kernels/cx88-locking-fixes-v2.patch
cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
make oldconfig
make xconfig
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=$1 kernel_image kernel_headers
Feel free to use it. You run it with ./makekernel.sh roken (where "roken" is a short string you use to identify your kernel). You should CD to your kernel source directory before running it. The script is very simple, and doesn't include error checking (I wrote it to save myself some typing) but it helps to avoid remembering the sequence of commands. At the end you will have the .deb files ready to install.

The commented lines are as follows:

patch - will include kernel patches as necessary. Uncomment and change the path to the patch as required. Copy the line for multiple patches
#cp /boot/config.... - will copy your current kernel config
make oldconfig can be commented out if you want. It's their for legacy reasons and if you use the cp line, not really necessary.
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
lambikas

Post by lambikas »

This is how I did it...

Have Debian testing CD1 ready.
Boot to recovery mode, add CD1 to repos and disable other repos, command: apt-cdrom add (and nano /etc/apt/sources.list to disable repos)
apt-get update (to update available packages)
Now install new kernel, I did it through "aptitude upgrade" and installed other upgrades as well, because this was how it worked for me. After I booted to linux, I installed wifi driver and did upgrade again to get wifi working.
tah_206207

Post by tah_206207 »

Roken wrote:OK - building a kernel takes a little more time (and research) than you would think, but can certainly be done optimally for your needs with a little patience. Gingerbread man provided a nice, simple guide here - http://gingerbread-man.co.cc/node/4

The time consuming part is at make xconfig (or make menuconfig as you prefer), when you get to configure the kernel options that you need. Running make oldconfig will copy the configuration options from your running kernel, but you will still need to tweak, and having google handy is practically a must to determine what the multitude of options do.

Once you have all your configuration options ready it's a simple matter to build and install the kernel. Since you are running LMDE it's low risk to experiment, since you can always boot with a working kernel and try again if things go wrong. You can also save your .config file and re-use it for future builds.

Note that different kernel version will have some differing options, so you will almost always have to tweak a little.

Edit: I wrote a simple bash script to help things along a little:

#!/bin/bash
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
	echo "Please include a version string"
	exit
fi
#patch -p1 <~/kernels/cx88-locking-fixes-v2.patch
cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
make oldconfig
make xconfig
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=$1 kernel_image kernel_headers
Feel free to use it. You run it with ./makekernel.sh roken (where "roken" is a short string you use to identify your kernel). You should CD to your kernel source directory before running it. The script is very simple, and doesn't include error checking (I wrote it to save myself some typing) but it helps to avoid remembering the sequence of commands. At the end you will have the .deb files ready to install.

The commented lines are as follows:

patch - will include kernel patches as necessary. Uncomment and change the path to the patch as required. Copy the line for multiple patches
#cp /boot/config.... - will copy your current kernel config
make oldconfig can be commented out if you want. It's their for legacy reasons and if you use the cp line, not really necessary.
Thanks
compiling kernel can make my OS to use battery life like WIN7?
i search in google for optimizing kernel for sandy bridge but i can't get any thing about this!
which kernel version is best for my laptop? how can i choose this kernel version?
i want stable and best performance linux like Win7 on my laptop.
is kernel3 best choice or no?
I use Gnome in this system i have to use

make gconfig - X windows (Gtk) based configuration tool, works best under Gnome Dekstop.
or use xconfig?
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

OK, the easy question first. THe choice between make menuconfig, make xconfig or make gconfig is entirely a personal one, and simply choose whichever you prefer. I personally prefer xconfig, but that's just my taste.

Now, which kernel? From what I've been able to establish, SandyBridge support has been included in kernels since 2.6.33, though certainly early 2.6.39 kernels have been reported to break support. Whilst those reports suggest that SandyBridge is now fixed in 2.6.39, I haven't found specific details of what changes are supposed to have broken (and fixed) the kernel. Owing to the lack of information, and if it were me, I'd be looking at a kernel not later than 2.6.38. You may even want to try 2.6.36 which is a much stabler kernel, though personally I had some problems getting .36 to build on my system.

If you are able to build a .36 kernel you may also find that your battery life improves anyway. Later kernels are known to use more power than the .36 kernel.

If you search around you may be able to find the download .debs for Liquorix 2.6.36 kernels, which work no problem and are optimised for desktop usage. This would avoid building your own and may just resolve your problems.

Edit: Just spotted this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=77902

You may want to merge your questions into that, it seems to be the same issue.
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
tah_206207

Post by tah_206207 »

Roken wrote:OK, the easy question first. THe choice between make menuconfig, make xconfig or make gconfig is entirely a personal one, and simply choose whichever you prefer. I personally prefer xconfig, but that's just my taste.

Now, which kernel? From what I've been able to establish, SandyBridge support has been included in kernels since 2.6.33, though certainly early 2.6.39 kernels have been reported to break support. Whilst those reports suggest that SandyBridge is now fixed in 2.6.39, I haven't found specific details of what changes are supposed to have broken (and fixed) the kernel. Owing to the lack of information, and if it were me, I'd be looking at a kernel not later than 2.6.38. You may even want to try 2.6.36 which is a much stabler kernel, though personally I had some problems getting .36 to build on my system.

If you are able to build a .36 kernel you may also find that your battery life improves anyway. Later kernels are known to use more power than the .36 kernel.

If you search around you may be able to find the download .debs for Liquorix 2.6.36 kernels, which work no problem and are optimised for desktop usage. This would avoid building your own and may just resolve your problems.

Edit: Just spotted this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=77902

You may want to merge your questions into that, it seems to be the same issue.
for compiling kernel i can't do this command because Lmde kernel can't recognize my adsl modem!

sudo apt-get install build-essential bin86 libqt3-headers kernel-package libqt3-mt-dev libncurses5-dev fakeroot initramfs-tools
i do these but hasn't effect!

ifup eth0
ifconfig eth0 up
LMDE can't recognize eth0 or eth1!!!
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

What's the output of sudo ifconfig?
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
tah_206207

Post by tah_206207 »

Roken wrote:What's the output of sudo ifconfig?
sudo ifconfig eth0 up

eth0:Error while getting interface flags : no such device
such for eth1...
sudo ifconfig

link encap:local loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
when i want to update or install software it can't connect to internet!!!
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

OK, see http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46825 for possible solutions. If the driver is what you need then you will need to google for the linux driver for your particular NIC.

However, first things first. If you boot a LiveCD, does the ethernet work?
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

I had problems on my Toshiba with an ATI card, you could try turning off kernel mode setting, to do this

try changing grub, this is not permanent and will only affect the current boot, to do this...
- hold shift at boot time to get the grub menu, the default boot item will be highlighted
- press "e" to edit,
- on the line ending "quiet" add "radeon.modeset=0" (without the quotes)
- press ctrl+x to boot

if that fixed the problems then (I think) you can make it permanent by changing the modprobe option, to do this...
- sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
- add/change the contents to "options radeon modeset=0" (without the quotes)
- save and quit
- reboot

(I think there may also be similar fixes for other video cards, like Intel, and even chipsets)

Return to “LMDE Archive”