LMDE (gnome and xfce) new isos up for testing

Post by zerozero »

well, here they are :)
the updated iso's are atm in the community site for testing

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/79
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/78
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/80

won't be long now to have them out 8)

ahh, and btw, there's no need to reinstall (yeahh, i know this is obvious, but anyway just saying :D )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE (gnome and xfce) new isos up for testing

Post by xenopeek »

zerozero wrote:ahh, and btw, there's no need to reinstall (yeahh, i know this is obvious, but anyway just saying :D )
:lol: Thanks for a good laugh :wink: Looking forward to the release.
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

Hello Guys!!!!!

I was checking everyday the site, ZeroZero, thanks for the links!!!

I am so .... excited! All the new goodies right?

:D
Dr.m0x

Post by Dr.m0x »

Has the installer been improved any? Can it recognise encrypted partitions yet?

Sent from my Cyanogenmod 7 phone.
jaycee

Post by jaycee »

Hmm... I can't find the download links for the isos on the pages zerozero listed (just all the test cases). Does anyone know where they can be found?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi jaycee, there's no public download links for now, the iso's are in testing, when they pass those tests we will find them, no worries :lol:
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I'm glad that the Xfce ISO is getting a respin, because I can't successfully install from the current one. Screwed up MBR, corrupted inode table for /boot, no user actually created, or a combination of these problems. ISO MD5 checksum is fine and I'm using a USB flash drive for installation so I avoid bad burns. I guess the particular software that comes with that ISO just doesn't like my hardware.

Only another few weeks at the most I guess! :) In the meantime I have 200 other distros to hop between.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'm also looking forward to checking it out...especially with the new "monthly snapshots"...i had to go back to main edition from LMDE because of breakages i had and got tired of daily updates...hope this new version will mean better reliability in that regard... :wink:

As far as installer improvements...i was wondering if any "auto install" options have been added in...that would be very helpful to those of us (like myself) that aren't that adept with doing manual partitioning...anyone know?
thermodynamics4

jaycee wrote:Hmm... I can't find the download links for the isos on the pages zerozero listed (just all the test cases). Does anyone know where they can be found?
I was looking for the links too... Damn! Well we will wait until the sunshine rises. Peace! 8)
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

These news will make very people happy!
The time is coming!

My guesss is that due to the new repositories, respins will come more often
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

asymmetros wrote:. . . is that due to the new repositories, respins will come more often
That's the plan. :D
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

After the remarkable endorsement (by default) made by Linus Torvalds for Xfce, I am very eager to test your new Xfce iso. I am sure it will prove to be very trendy... I can't wait... :D

A pity this iso seems to suffer right now from this "pae" boot problem.

https://plus.google.com/106327083461132 ... bnL3KaVRtM
thermodynamics4

Any problems? bugs?

It would be nice to know if there's any issues...
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

There's always bugs with Mint!

Mint sucks!

I can't even get a printer driver installed. Great work!

I guess Clem needs his money from the Mint modification to Google Search!

Code: Select all

Selecting previously deselected package splix.

(Reading database ... 85%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:

failed to read on buffer copy for files list for package `mint-x-theme': Input/output error

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
It's pathetic when something causes a printer driver to not install.

Maybe concentrate more on the bugs instead of trying to modify stuff.
thermodynamics4

telenux wrote:There's always bugs with Mint!

Mint sucks!

I can't even get a printer driver installed. Great work!

I guess Clem needs his money from the Mint modification to Google Search!

Code: Select all

Selecting previously deselected package splix.

(Reading database ... 85%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:

failed to read on buffer copy for files list for package `mint-x-theme': Input/output error

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
It's pathetic when something causes a printer driver to not install.

Maybe concentrate more on the bugs instead of trying to modify stuff.

I guess you're right about problems or bugs that need solution. But, they're doing a lot of work and in time we will see a working release. I don't think that Mint sucks. Any linux distro would be the same. There's always bugs. But there is always will and a true democratic flow of power to the software.

Try it later on, hope you have another opinion.

Cheers!!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the xfce edition got a new build today http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/81
things are moving 8)
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

here's all I did to change the default search in FireFox.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

thermodynamics4 wrote: I guess you're right about problems or bugs that need solution. But, they're doing a lot of work and in time we will see a working release. I don't think that Mint sucks. Any linux distro would be the same. There's always bugs. But there is always will and a true democratic flow of power to the software.

Try it later on, hope you have another opinion.

Cheers!!
Sorry to disappoint you but it does suck.

Mint has always been a 'Ubuntu-centric' distro and only because of the changes Ubuntu is doing and they can't keep up so they started using a Debian base.

But, they don't seem to care much about it and there are tons of posts about LMDE breakage and I ran into so many bugs and this is supposed to be the release version!!!!

I have crashes and supposedly, corrupt packages. This all happening just after a day after I installed the OS!

Things must be really screwy for them right now.
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Linux Mint Debian does have a few bugs, and so does any other Linux distro I ever tried. Generally they are fairly easy to fix, or work around. And, there is a big difference from one machine to another. I am sorry to hear you have had such a negative experience. I have been using the Linux Mint Debian 64 bit version since it first came out with very little trouble at all. I have had no problems with printers, but again that would depend on the type of printer you have. I stick with HP as they tend to be more compatible with Linux in general. I have more issues with indivdual applications when they realease new versions such as GnuCash and Firefox. I repair and setup computers for my clients, most of which use that other famous OS, and it is not without its issues and quirks as well. If you want the perfect OS for your needs, you will have to build it yourself. Even then as applications and hardware change, you will have a never ending job keeping up with it all.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

telenux wrote:But, they don't seem to care much about it and there are tons of posts about LMDE breakage and I ran into so many bugs and this is supposed to be the release version!!!!
Well they have started two new repos to allow for more quality control on the packages. Also there is really no such thing as a "release version" for LMDE if you're using the straight Debian Testing repos unless you don't update after installing.

Return to “LMDE Archive”