Ikey Doherty full-time on Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Ikey Doherty full-time on Linux Mint

Post by zerozero »

Congratulations Ikey :)
Congratulations Clem :)
Congratulations Linux Mint :)
Congratulations Mint community :)

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1655

now we have Ikey full-time coding for Mint :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: Ikey Doherty full-time on Linux Mint

Post by Elisa »

Congratulations Ikey! ;) Hope, the all things around will go better and better now, right ? ;-)

It's always cool when a hobby becomes a job... :)

Elisa
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Congrats Ikey. I am very happy to know that you are now full time with Mint. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

congrats Ikey
everybody use the mint search to give money to the Clem and Ikey and mint in general
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

cpatrick08 wrote:congrats Ikey
everybody use the mint search to give money to the Clem and Ikey and mint in general
There is a donation link on the home page http://www.linuxmint.com/

I use it monthly.
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Ikey Rocks :wink: -- He's The Man 8)
mads

Post by mads »

Hi.

Does anybody know what happened to Ikey, in other words, why did he leave Mint? Thanks.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

By my understanding he left mint a few months ago to take care of personal issues in his life. That is the only thing I have seen.
mads

Post by mads »

willie42,

thank you so much. It was BIG when he officially joined Mint Team, but almost nothing about why he left.
Anyway, I miss him, and that was why I asked. Thanks again.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

We all miss him and I really hope he returns to the team.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I know some a bit longer part of Ikey history here and IMHO, it's a bit unfair he left because, again - IMHO, there is always even little time to make for other than personal activities, therefore for Mint issues too... :-|
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well I don't believe its a Mint thing. I believe it was posted because or personal issues in his life. The hope is that he can get them taken care of and return. IKEY was great at what he did.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

AFAIK, he's run his personal (Linux) business... :|
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well in that case I am happy for him.... I wish that he would return as a consultant for Mint. But success is always a good thing for someone. I didn't know he had a personal business. But I do wish him lots of success in his venture. :D
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Actually, Ikey was in the IRC chat rooms on Sunday or Monday last week. He's doing well, and has moved house (again).
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I am glad hes doing ok. :D
Robin

Post by Robin »

Ikey wrote: Please believe me I have not been away on some
paradise cruise, In fact for most of it I was homeless.
Wow. My family and I were homeless last year for a period of several months! We didn't eat scarps out of restaurant dumpsters and sleep under highway overpasses most nights, but we had no place to put stuff, eat, wash up, or sleep. My mom went to her mom's house (the rest of us were not invited), and my father and I ended up living in an 18-wheeler while I finished high school through online studies. I understand the hardships of homelessness - Papa and I had it better than most - and I am always happy to hear that someone has overcome all those hardships and got themselves off the streets and into a home of their own! Especially someone who has contributed as much as you have to a wonderful project like Linux Mint.

Inspired and encouraged,
Robin
(who recently graduated from high school in spite of being homeless for most of my senior year)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I always managed to scrape by. Back in the late 80s I did not earn enough to pay the electric bill in my all electric apartment. In the spring they would shut the electric off until I payed the bill and a huge deposit. Back in those days jobs were scarce and I had to take whatever job I could find. The company I worked for back then did not even pay me minimum wage, they used a loop hole by having under 15 employees, they were crooks. I left there and worked at a sweat shop for several years. I ran 6 presses at a time in a rubber factory that made automotive parts. I started there during a heat wave and it was 130 degrees on the press line I ran. My second day I got a third degree burn across the top of my arm and I don't know how I ever managed to stay there for 7 years. The molds I ran had to be drug out of the presses with a chain hoist and they were 5 and 10 minute molds, it was real hard and if you did not meet production you were fired. I watched 6 people get fired my first day there and I figured I wouldn't last long either but somehow I did. My 2nd wife racked up some huge bills and I found myself going in early and working double shifts all the time....

I was seriously injured at the rubber factory and almost lost the eyesight in my only eye with sight. I was lucky, after 3 eye operations I went from legally blind to having decent vision out of the good eye. I got a job in a factory that painted car parts and in 3 months time I was made a supervisor in paint mix! I started tinkering with computers in my spare time and took right to it. Out of the blue one day I got a call asking me I wanted to work in a IT department in a factory that payed really well. I thought, what the heck it's worth a shot. I worked in IT for 3 years until the factory closed it's doors. I moved from job to job for a few years after that, back on production lines because there was nothing else around. I finally settled on the job I have making wiring harnesses because it was a half way decent environment and they treat people pretty fair. I can keep my bills paid and not have to worry about getting injured, the pay is not too bad but it took 5 years to get to a decent pay rate.

The point of my post is that there is always some kind of job out there, it just may not be what you want. I have worked in places that have 65% turn over rates because I had to. I worked in a factory once where I kept breaking out in hives because they were so bad. They worked me so hard I had to have hernia surgery because they would not rotate me on the line like they were supposed to! I had to take nerve pills to keep from breaking out in hives and killing someone, it was that bad! That place was the only job I ever quit without having another job lined up, it was the worst place I had ever worked at and I have been in some pretty bad factories in my life. Luckily, I got on where I am now and I worked myself into the department I am in now.

All this goes to show that even in a bad economy there is work if you are willing to do whatever it takes to get by. I have worked some really hard and dirty jobs but have always managed to survive.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”