(SOLVED) SU Password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PeDr0

(SOLVED) SU Password

Post by PeDr0 »

When trying to login as SU it is asking for password:
__
pedr0@Time-thief ~ $ su
Password:
__

But I don't know what it is?

When I installed I think I only set up one user called: Pedr0. Does SU get the same password as the user that I set up during install? If so I have since changed my password I think, anyway Its not the same as the password I am using now, and I don't know what it is. Is it possible to change root password without knowing what it is currently with a user that has admin rights? I'm thinking its not.

If it aint, then is it possible to reinstall L.M. over the top of this install but still keep my boot partition and grub the same as I am dual booting Windows 7. If so, then how please :-)

Thanx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: SU Password

Post by xenopeek »

If you do remember your own password, you can run following at Terminal to change password of root:

Code: Select all

sudo passwd root
It will ask for your password, and then you can enter a new password for root. I'm unsure why you need this though, stay away from root man :wink:
PeDr0

Re: SU Password

Post by PeDr0 »

I hadn't forgotten my password, just the password I used when I set up LM perhaps.. not sure now..think I may of changed my pass after install or sumink.

But now I've changed password and can logon as root. :-) Thanks a lot!

All I need to do now is get my soundcard to work... http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... it=ice1712

Muchas Gracias, Pete

Return to “Beginner Questions”