Mint does not recognize my VCD in the DVD drive of desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
osxaberlite

Mint does not recognize my VCD in the DVD drive of desktop

Post by osxaberlite »

Hello Friends,

I have Linux Mint Julia and am having a hard time playing my vcd. I have two dvd slots on my machine and the following players on the system:
  • gnome
    KMplayer
    MoviePlayer
    Rhythm box
    VLC Media Player

I tried both slots alternating the dvd and vcd. All players seems to recognize the dvd, none, including the browser favor the vcd. What am I doing wrong?

P.S. The VCD has recently been professionally burnt from a workout VCR and sadly never been used (how could it be any other way :lol: )

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Mint does not recognize my VCD in the DVD drive of deskt

Post by ThistleWeb »

VCD's are an odd codec which Linux is very limited in handling. Check the repos for "vcd" there are a couple of applications for it. I have had VCD's sorta working in Totem I think ages ago, the chapters play but no menu.

All I can suggest is to copy the .dat files from the disc to your HD and rename the .dat part to .mpeg they will play as low resolution video files in any player then, Remember VCD is like 320 ish by 240 ish (it's different for US & UK), so it'll be kinda blocky on a larger screen. There's no point in trying to convert up to a higher resolution, upscaling always makes things worse. A lot of data has been chopped away to create the lower res version, to rebuild it, it has to guess at what was lost.
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

osxaberlite wrote:Hello Friends,

I have Linux Mint Julia and am having a hard time playing my vcd. I have two dvd slots on my machine and the following players on the system:
  • gnome
    KMplayer
    MoviePlayer
    Rhythm box
    VLC Media Player

I tried both slots alternating the dvd and vcd. All players seems to recognize the dvd, none, including the browser favor the vcd. What am I doing wrong?

P.S. The VCD has recently been professionally burnt from a workout VCR and sadly never been used (how could it be any other way :lol: )

Thanks!
Try xine, see this: http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/a/desktop06e.htm
rich2005

Post by rich2005 »

VideoCD - used to make these things before DVD's became affordable. The video files are in a mpegav folder and usually have a name avseq01(2..3..etc).dat. It is a form of mpeg1 video. It is a well recorded problem that these will not play or even copy in linux. Usually get a broken file error message.

Your best bet is to install VCDimager from the repo.
Have the VCD disk in the drive and mounted
Make a new folder in home say vcd (to be original)
Open a terminal and change to that folder
Then use the command vcdxrip - don't worry too much about error messages.
and wait, go have a cup of tea. Eventually you get a load of compliant video files avseq01(2..3..4).mpg that will play, You also get a load of other files, you can delete these.

Remember that VCD format is low fixed bitrate, 1150 kbps, and what is now called quarter DVD frame size 352x288 (PAL). Roughly equivalent to VHS video tape, so don't expect wonderful quality.

example at original size: http://i.imgur.com/8pmLf.jpg

I would suggest that once they are ripped, make them into a DVD with something like DeVeDe, haven't tried it but it should work.
lucky_linux

Post by lucky_linux »

Today is my lucky day

Was having the same problem - Mint 11. Downloaded VLC Media player

In VLC media player, go to Media->Open Disc->Disc-> select SVCD/VCD , make sure disc/device is right and then click play and voila !
osxaberlite

Post by osxaberlite »

I cannot believe I did not come back to say 'thanks' :(

Sorry, but I did not log in - in a while. Thanks to all who helped!

rich2005 wrote:VideoCD - used to make these things before DVD's became affordable. The video files are in a mpegav folder and usually have a name avseq01(2..3..etc).dat. It is a form of mpeg1 video. It is a well recorded problem that these will not play or even copy in linux. Usually get a broken file error message.

Your best bet is to install VCDimager from the repo.
Have the VCD disk in the drive and mounted
Make a new folder in home say vcd (to be original)
Open a terminal and change to that folder
Then use the command vcdxrip - don't worry too much about error messages.
and wait, go have a cup of tea. Eventually you get a load of compliant video files avseq01(2..3..4).mpg that will play, You also get a load of other files, you can delete these.

Remember that VCD format is low fixed bitrate, 1150 kbps, and what is now called quarter DVD frame size 352x288 (PAL). Roughly equivalent to VHS video tape, so don't expect wonderful quality.

example at original size: http://i.imgur.com/8pmLf.jpg

I would suggest that once they are ripped, make them into a DVD with something like DeVeDe, haven't tried it but it should work.

Return to “Sound”