! Kernel 3 cautions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
victorsk

! Kernel 3 cautions

Post by victorsk »

Hi everyone,

A small word of caution about Kernel 3 which is available in Debian's repository. I had LMDE break 3 times after I installed Kernel 3 and ran 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade' commands afterwards. The problem was that upon restart the system didn't go to the login screen but just hanged indefinitely with a dark screen with nothing happening. The only common variable that was in all these breakages was the presence of Kernel 3. Perhaps there are some inherent issues with it that causes it not to be 100% compatible with LMDE? This is probably something that Mint developers might want to take a look at.

I am on Katya now and when I installed Kernel 3 by adding it's repository to sources.list, exactly the same problem happened as with LMDE when I ran 'upgrade' 'dist-upgrade' from in Katya after installing Kernel 3. Again, the only conclusion can be made is that Kernel 3 is the culprit for causing system breakages in all those occasions.

So, I'd like to caution others if you are planning on installing Kernel 3 on your system there may be some issues associated with it.

Best,
Victor.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
o_unico

Re: ! Kernel 3 cautions

Post by o_unico »

I've updated to kernel 3.0.0.1 this afternoon. No one problem until now.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Is it final, or still rc-X?
victorsk

Post by victorsk »

Habitual wrote:Is it final, or still rc-X?
The one I picked was linux-image-3.0.0-1-686-pae

from ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

repository
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

victorsk wrote:

repository
Are you using the proprietary nvidia drivers? There has been a discussion in the last 2 or so pages in the breakages thread about issues with the nvidia drivers recompiling for the new Linux kernel.
victorsk

Post by victorsk »

gavinhc wrote:
victorsk wrote:

repository
Are you using the proprietary nvidia drivers? There has been a discussion in the last 2 or so pages in the breakages thread about issues with the nvidia drivers recompiling for the new Linux kernel.
Good question! I did, in fact, install ATI Radeon driver which I downloaded for LMDE and then in Katya (from its proprietary driver application). In all cases it was done with kernel 3 and the system crashed after I did both 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade'. Maybe it's the driver which causes kernel to crash :?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Kernel upgrades are always a "your mileage may vary" proposition. Everyone is using different hardware; some will work flawlessly with a new kernel and some will appear to have ingested poison. I've gone through a couple of kernel upgrades that have made my HP laptop act like a zombie. Going back to the last working kernel is the solution until the next point upgrade comes out.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

victorsk wrote:...I did, in fact, install ATI Radeon driver which I downloaded for LMDE and then in Katya (from its proprietary driver application). In all cases it was done with kernel 3 and the system crashed after I did both 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade'. Maybe it's the driver which causes kernel to crash :?
There's issues with the Broadcom STA wireless over at http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- ... 3-0-a.html

So I think I'll wait for Final+1
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

I was lucky (again; i never encountered a problem with kernel updates). No issues at all with the 3.xxx kernel.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I tried 3.0, and have been running a 3.1 (self-build) kernel for two days without problems. Having said that, my build is seriously restricted and cutomised to my system, and would probably not work on anyone else's system, so I can only speak for stability on features that I need, but it seems fine up to now (and one patch no longer required after .39 which is a bonus).
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM

Return to “LMDE Archive”