LMDE hangs on a dell optiplex g260

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
edwinv

LMDE hangs on a dell optiplex g260

Post by edwinv »

i have installed LMDE on an old dell GX260 which previously had mint 11 - LMDE installed fine and runs well however after a while if freezes - i can only reboot the computer - this has happened in firefox, in nautllus, and even in writer - in mint 11 i had no problems - maybe i have to return to mint 11

second problem i cannot log in automatically - if i want to unlock the login screen it does not unlock - i click the unlock icon but nothing happens - maybe a bug ?

i really prefer LMDE because it is faster on this computer , however the hang ups are to frequent to work on this computer - does anyone know how to resolve theis ?

update :
i passed the parameter nomodeset in grub and it is running ok now (i'll keep my fingers crossed)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lauren

Re: LMDE hangs on a dell optiplex g260

Post by lauren »

edwinv

Post by edwinv »

thanks lauren that did the trick

if i only could find a solution to the freezing of the computer - nomodeset did not work - computer froze again

i guess i have to live with it or install mint 11 again
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi edwinv!
Sorry - I can't give you further help. I would do the following:
1. Search here in the forum
2. Search with Google
3. Install another browser (I had a problem with Opera - crashed every time I was starting it), e.g. Chromium
4. Search in other forums, e.g. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mint-84/
5. A new installation of LMDE (formatting the partitions!)

Return to “LMDE Archive”