LMDE RC

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Andrew33

Re: LMDE RC

Post by Andrew33 »

Ok....got the new respin on dvd, booted into live....was able to change background and fonts, but cannot access software manager, synaptic or other function in control panel. I'm also not able tostart FF from the menu, I click on these things from their perspective places and the dvd just sits there and spins......I think my issue is an isolated one because I haven't seen anyone else with this problem....any suggestions :oops:
timmythepirate

Post by timmythepirate »

andrew5859 wrote:Ok....got the new respin on dvd, booted into live....was able to change background and fonts, but cannot access software manager, synaptic or other function in control panel. I'm also not able tostart FF from the menu, I click on these things from their perspective places and the dvd just sits there and spins......I think my issue is an isolated one because I haven't seen anyone else with this problem....any suggestions :oops:
I had a similar problem. I just redownloaded the iso and everything was fine. If the md5sum is correct I would try to download a different iso (e.g., 32-bit instead of 64-bit) and see if that works. This mirror gave me a bad file when i tried to download for the first time.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

ok....sounds good...I'll give it a try...thanks timmy....cheers
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Hi, regarding some partitions in /etc/fstab being pointed to None I'm thinking that maybe you guys simply forgot to set a mount point to them while installing.
If it's like so then maybe the fstab generator in the installer could instead just leave the partitions (that people forget or intentionally don't set the mount point) out from the file or write them with a comment (#). Then GNOME would take care of mounting them properly.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I've run into a few quirks with the 64 bit version of the LMDE (respin) RC and found the solutions as well either from other threads, comments on the .iso test posts on the Community website or ones I discovered myself. Not all might experience every one of these quirks but for those that do:

NOTE: All the below solutions have worked for me without a hitch. Just thought I ought to put them all in one post. Will update if I found more.

--Make Flash work with Firefox: Open terminal and paste in the following:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --auto libflashplayer.so
It should return something like this: "update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /opt/mint-flashplugin-square/libflashplayer.so because link group libflashplayer.so is broken."

That's it. Flash in Firefox should work now.

--No login sound:

Open Nautilus, hit 'CTRL + H' on your keyboard and navigate to "~/.config/autostart". In the "autostart" folder and check to see if the "libcanberra-login-sound.desktop" file is there. If it isn't then (and leaving Nautilus open) Open the Control Center and then open "Startup Applications" and un-check the "Gnome login sound" entry. Now return to Nautilus window showing the contents of the "autostart" folder and "libcanberra-login-sound.desktop" should appear. Once it does then you can close Nautilus, the Control Center and the "Startup Applications" windows.

Open a terminal and type in:

gedit ~/.config/autostart/libcanberra-login-sound.desktop
The file contents should look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=GNOME Login Sound
Comment=Plays a sound whenever you log in
Exec=/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
AutostartCondition=GSettings org.gnome.desktop.sound event-sounds
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Application
X-GNOME-Provides=login-sound
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false
Remove the following line: "AutostartCondition=GSettings org.gnome.desktop.sound event-sounds"

and change the last line from "false" to "true". It should then look like the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=GNOME Login Sound
Comment=Plays a sound whenever you log in
Exec=/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Application
X-GNOME-Provides=login-sound
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Save the file and close Gedit (this will automatically recheck the "Gnome login sounds" entry in "Startup Applications" by the way). Your login sounds now should work next time you login.

--Nautilus does not show other hard drive partitions

This is a problem with LMDE incorrectly populating the "ftsab" file during install. Or should I say it overpopulates it with unnecessary and incorrect entries? Either way the easiest solution is to delete all fstab entries that don't pertain to your install (those with mount points showing as "NONE"). The appropriate entries in most cases will be one partition showing the mount point as "/", one showing the mount point as "/home" if you use a separate partition for your /home directory, and another mount point showing as "swap". Here's mine for example (before and after):

Right after install--Nautlius not showing other partitions:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=86e25ece-f88e-4a6c-a1ef-d37590d69023	None	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=e49e7546-fa49-46fe-9afe-c32fe32f2ae4	None	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=5c19817c-e072-48e3-8efd-3e08f9240637	/	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
# /dev/sda5
UUID=391fc593-b8e9-48e0-a212-30ac0bd134ca	swap	swap	sw	0	0
# /dev/sda6
UUID=dfe0d0d5-e933-41b2-8850-aa56884d8023	None	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
# /dev/sda7
UUID=f11c621d-0b56-4e19-a4d2-d2dc015882de	None	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
And after I removed extraneous entries--Nautilus now showing partition entries (I don't use a separate partition for "/home" on a test install):

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#

# /dev/sda2
UUID=5c19817c-e072-48e3-8efd-3e08f9240637	/	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
# /dev/sda5
UUID=391fc593-b8e9-48e0-a212-30ac0bd134ca	swap	swap	sw	0	0
Problem fixed

--For those seeing an "mt-probe" error during boot up

Open Synaptic and install "libmtp-runtime". That's it--no more "mt-probe error".

--The "Mint-X" and Mint-X-Metal" themes Mint Menu and right-click context menus not following system font settings

Commenting out line 52 (font_name = "9") in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/gtkrc makes Mint-X-Metal honor the font size specified in gnome settings. If you use Mint-X it's the same thing except the path is /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

--Flash videos have distorted audio in 64 bit Firefox using 64 bit Flash

Create a file called "ld.so.preload" in '/etc'. In a terminal paste:

sudo gedit /etc/ld.so.preload
The add this single line:

/usr/lib64/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-preload.so
Reference post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 08#p432522. It's the first solution stated but the line that's added to the "ld.so.preload" file is incorrect. See the following post for the corrected line (just a few comments down from the above post in the same thread):

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 08#p438808

That's it. No more distorted Flash audio in Firefox.

That's it for now. If there's any I missed (and I probably did) then please don't hesitate to bring them up. And please forgive any typos in the text portion (code items shouldn't have any though).

Again, all these solutions above worked for me so they hopefully should work for you as well.

Gateway Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-430 w/1GB DDR3. Multi booting.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

secipolla wrote:Hi, regarding some partitions in /etc/fstab being pointed to None I'm thinking that maybe you guys simply forgot to set a mount point to them while installing.
If it's like so then maybe the fstab generator in the installer could instead just leave the partitions (that people forget or intentionally don't set the mount point) out from the file or write them with a comment (#). Then GNOME would take care of mounting them properly.
Good point but I've never had to set mount points for any partitions other than the ones for the LMDE version (or any other Debian or Ubuntu based distro for that matter) I'm currently installing. I never had to set mount points for any of the other non-install partitions (I multi-boot, can you tell? :D ). In the past the installer always took care not to populate the resulting "fstab" file with any other partitions not directly related to my new install (in this case it would only the "/" and "swap" partitions in any of my test installs) and that includes the original release of LMDE. Go figure, right?

I simply deleted all "fstab" entries that didn't have to do with the LMDE install at hand and all had mount points set as "NONE". To me it looks like like a problem with the installer but that's just me.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Maybe I've been skimming through the threads/posts a bit to fast and this has been covered already, but I thought I'd share an experience I just had trying to install the 32bit XFCE iso.

I set up a virtual machine in Virtualbox, selected debian as OS and created a 20GB large virtual hard drive.
Running the installer I get stuck at the "Select where you want to install Linux Mint". (the one where you have to choose partitions) The pointer just keeps on spinning and spinning.

Remembering something similar from trying to install the first versions of LMDE I closed the installer and opened gparted to manually set up two partitions (one swap and one for mint) where I had to start with first creating a partition table for the drive. After that there was no problem proceeding with the Install.

I don't know if this is a "problem" isolated to virtual environments or if the installer - in general - has problems with "blank" hard drives.

So - if anyone has a probelm getting past the above screen it could be a good idea to open up gparted before going forward.

Any inputs on this one?
/gosa
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

gosa wrote:Maybe I've been skimming through the threads/posts a bit to fast and this has been covered already, but I thought I'd share an experience I just had trying to install the 32bit XFCE iso.
ditto for x64 gnome: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 13#p462611
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Just downloaded the new RC respin and I'm impressed so far. It booted straight up on my Toshiba Satellite L755D, detected both the Wireless and Ethernet correctly as well as the graphics card, with the correct resolution - first distro I've yet come across that will pick up all three correctly.

Obviously still got to install it, but it's a good start - congrats to the whole team for all their hard work on this.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

kmb42vt wrote:Commenting out line 52 (font_name = "9") in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/gtkrc makes Mint-X-Metal honor the font size specified in gnome settings. If you use Mint-X it's the same thing except the path is /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
Oh, thanks a lot for this, finally fixed extra-large fonts in my Firefox :D
Previously I've set all the fonts' size to 12 since they were looking too small on my 1280x1024 desktop, and... in Firefox they immediately started looking like 16 or so.

Now I wonder what caused these themes to contain that line... :?

EDIT:
There's one more issue which was discussed in this topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 61#p391254
Well I don't know if this is really an issue for everyone, but I'm used to have Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring the logout dialog.
So I've fixed that for myself... somewhat.
1. run gconf-editor
2. go to /apps/metacity/global_keybindings
3. change run_command_9 value to "disabled"
4. hmm, now ctrl-alt-del does nothing at all. but it should, since it's been set up in /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings/power all along.
5. no problem, go to control center -> personal -> keyboard shortcuts -> desktop -> log out.
6. ctrl-alt-delete is already assigned here - but let's assign it once more anyway.
7. rejoice, for now it works.
8. sit and wonder why it didn't work after step 3... :?
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

kmb42vt wrote:I've run into a few quirks with the 64 bit version of the LMDE (respin) RC and found the solutions as well either from other threads, comments on the .iso test posts on the Community website or ones I discovered myself. Not all might experience every one of these quirks but for those that do...
Extremely very-very useful post!
It should be in the release announcement!

Thanks a lot!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Agreed. At least this page - http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php - needs to be updated (and maybe splitted in two because of the separate XFCE release).
billybob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billybob »

Why doesn't the installer allow setting /home on separate drive?
Do I have to set my separate home drive in fstab after install or can i hack the install script?
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey Y'all....just out of curiosity, how stable or unstable is the 64bit version......the reason asking is that I'm getting ready to build a custom desktop for testing purposes, future specs are as follows:

GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA80A

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-222AB - OEM

Linksys WMP600N Wireless Adapter with Dual-Band IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI WEP, WPA & WPA2 Personal, WPA & WPA2 Enterprise

Cheers

Andrew
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

andrew5859 wrote:Hey Y'all....just out of curiosity, how stable or unstable is the 64bit version......the reason asking is that I'm getting ready to build a custom desktop for testing purposes, future specs are as follows:

GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA80A

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-222AB - OEM

Linksys WMP600N Wireless Adapter with Dual-Band IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI WEP, WPA & WPA2 Personal, WPA & WPA2 Enterprise

Cheers

Andrew
I've found it to be very stable indeed. Sure, I had to fix the problems I listed in my rather long post a few comments prior to this one but they didn't actually affect system stability at all, more quirks than anything. I'd wait until the final release before installing a a newly built machine though. By the way, looking at your specs you listed you shouldn't encounter any real problems however, I'd spend a little extra and go for 8 GB of memory instead of only 4 GB (recommended minimum memory for 64-bit OSs is 4 GB). Since it's the older DDR2 type it shouldn't cost that much extra and gives your system that much extra breathing room. Remember, when it comes to high horsepower, audio wattage and memory, it's not the quantity that counts, it's the quality of the experience. :D

Intel Core2-Quad Q8400/4MB L2 Cache, 8GB DDR2, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GT-430 w/1GB DDR3
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey kmb....thank you for bringing up that issue of the Mem.....I looked at the line up of my list and realized that I had DDR2 and not DDR3 which the mobo calls for.....so when I get my mem in the mail...have to send it back for wrong type....BTW I'm going to order the right type and max it out to 8gig...thanks for helping...cheers
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

A question...i had downloaded the LMDE 64 bit RC re-spin when they first became available on the mirrors (before Clem made the announcement and it was "officially" uploaded to all the mirrors)...now i notice that the MD5 Sum on the newer uploads to the mirrors is DIFFERENT then that earlier one that was on there...is there any difference between the two?

When i ran that earlier dvd live i noticed there was problems with "flash" in that sound would break up on videos...has anyone run the newer disc since the announcement was made, and find there was still a video problem??? (on 64 bit version)....

Just wondering... :wink:
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

I think so, because I ran on usb the iso without any youtube problems on audio and video, but the version is 32bits and is Gnome. 8)

craig10x wrote:A question...i had downloaded the LMDE 64 bit RC re-spin when they first became available on the mirrors (before Clem made the announcement and it was "officially" uploaded to all the mirrors)...now i notice that the MD5 Sum on the newer uploads to the mirrors is DIFFERENT then that earlier one that was on there...is there any difference between the two?

When i ran that earlier dvd live i noticed there was problems with "flash" in that sound would break up on videos...has anyone run the newer disc since the announcement was made, and find there was still a video problem??? (on 64 bit version)....

Just wondering... :wink:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

reinstalled both the 32bit and 64bit with the new rc, both went good, just had to install the ia32-lib on the 64bit before updating for some reason it would not afterwards and had depency issues, might of been my own fault trying to get ffmpeg in there and adding libsound2 after anyhow it all works now, even added gnome 3 in the 32bit one with no issues at all without xfce this time.
All good here.
Much thanks :)
toothandnail
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toothandnail »

Hope this is the right place to post this.... I've done some reading and searching, but haven't found the answers I was looking for.

I've just installed the LMDE RC, Xfce version. Install was ok, but....

First, a question - when selecting a partition, is it possible to specify that it not be formatted? I have /home on its own partition, which is shared between several distros, and didn't want to risk having it formatted. I have backups, but....

Second, is xfs supported? I'm currently running the 32-bit version, and every attempt I've made to mount an xfs partition has failed. I have data on just such a partition, and haven't the time or resources to change it to ext4 at the moment.

Other than those minor problems, I like it. I've hit a few areas were is seems a little laggy, but that may be how I have things set up. Most of my Linux installs are Slackware or slack-based (Salix being my normal day-to-day OS)

Paul.

Return to “LMDE Archive”