UPDATE PACK 3 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
doktordave

Re: UPDATE PACK 3 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by doktordave »

Not much to report here. Mint Update updated itself, then showed the other updates. Completed the remainder with smxi, around 400 updates, no issues. As I use the open source driver on my "Incoming" PC (LMDE 32), no gfx issues.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

After installing update pack 3, my system is suffering from an extreme increase in corruption of images (see below).
The first image is part of the background, the second an image on a webpage as shown by Firefox. Sometimes bits of header texts (i.e. larger font) get corrupted as well.

This used to happen very infrequently before the update, only on some occasions if there was a lot of swapping going on. Now it's happening all the time...
corrupted1.jpg
corrupted2.jpg
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It is a problem with Flash grizzler, I had it a few months ago and I had to downgrade libflashplayer.so to an earlier version. That was on my 32 bit LMDE on the 64bit version it hasn't happened yet - but I haven't had it long.

You might want to try the beta 64 bit flash, there is a thread about it here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 12&start=0

Did you run the command Clem recommended for Flash problems in this update pack?

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --auto libflashplayer.so
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Isn't that for 64 bit systems? Mine is 32 bit.

It's hard to imagine this is flash related. It happens even if I don't use flash at all.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well the 64 bit flash is for 64bit systems obviously, as for Clem's command recommendation, I don't know if that was meant to be architecture specific or not. However, the installation that I had a virtually identical problem with was 32bit not 64bit, and it was most definitely flash related. Of course yours might be a different problem, I don't know.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

viking777 wrote:as for Clem's command recommendation, I don't know if that was meant to be architecture specific or not.
Looks like it is. He mentions it like this (on http://linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php):
In LMDE 201108 RC Gnome 64-bit, Flash isn't configured properly. To fix the problem, run the following command:

sudo update-alternatives --auto libflashplayer.so
Besides, I still use my original setup (rolling release you know, no need to update when a new iso appears... :wink: ). With update pack 3 of course, which seems to be the cause of this mess (or at least of the considerable increase of it).

Anyway, judging by the man page for update-alternatives this won't do any harm, so I tried it. No difference so far.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Looks like it is. He mentions it like this (on http://linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php):
Looks like you are right.

BTW I spent ages trying to get onto the linuxmint.com site to look that up and I got timed out every time.

I must read that update-alternatives manpage myself.

And you are absolutely right btw, no reason at all to update a rolling release just because another iso appears, and I didn't. The reason I have downloaded and installed it is because I thought it was time that I switched to 64bit from my original 32bit lmde and you can't do that on a rolling release without reinstalling. In fact I am running both architectures now.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I found a real show stopper here. :wink: The only way to change desktop backgrounds now is the theme manager. right click on the image it's not listed, opening up the image viewer and right click/ set a desktop background gets you the control panel.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

wyrdoak, that is funny, if you open the image with EoG and try to set it as background, nothing happens, however if you open it with F-Spot, it works, go figure :shock:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

It works with Gthumb and fbsetetbg as well as right clicking the desktop and 'Change Desktop Background' so maybe it is a problem with Eog - I wouldn't know I have uninstalled it.
elastic

Post by elastic »

as far as I can say actually everything works fine except of many broken AWN Applets: Wheather, Volume, Logout, Mint Menu, File Browser Launcher, Digital Clock and Media Control (maybe more ...)
xircon

Post by xircon »

elastic wrote:as far as I can say actually everything works fine except of many broken AWN Applets: Wheather, Volume, Logout, Mint Menu, File Browser Launcher, Digital Clock and Media Control (maybe more ...)
AWN works fine here, but I use the Ubuntu PPA version, it is more up to date than the one in the repos.
edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

@ elastic

I have no experience with Ubuntu whjatsoever. How do you get the PPA version? And can you simply install it or are there any caveats?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Add:

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
To your sources.list.

lucid seems to be the best match for squeeze, but I have had this line in for months so may take the risk and try natty in a bit, will report back.

Go to synaptic, reload, find the ppa in the origins section and install/update.

I have had absolutely no problems with doing this at all. Purists will cast me out for doing this though :D

:Edit: Natty does not work, stick with lucid.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

The image corruption problem is becoming so bad I'm actually considering abandoning LMDE altogether. This is not what I anticipated when I saw it described as 'a little rough'. I have no idea where to start looking. That's the biggest problem with these packs. How do you figure out the cause when there's more than 500 packages updated in one go?
edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

Thanks!!! That sorted all problems with AWN.
The Diamond Geezer

Post by The Diamond Geezer »

wyrdoak wrote:I found a real show stopper here. :wink: The only way to change desktop backgrounds now is the theme manager. right click on the image it's not listed, opening up the image viewer and right click/ set a desktop background gets you the control panel.
Another example of Gnome Shell creeping in?
xircon

Post by xircon »

edgarkls wrote:Thanks!!! That sorted all problems with AWN.
But I screwed mine up :roll: Got it working again, but as Maverick not Natty (Lucid would be too easy :D), got myself in dependency hell (deeper and deeper) but have struggled through and sorted it out. Have ahem slightly more Butnut packages installed than I wanted (libdesktop-agnostic, libindicator and libwnck22) also had to remove some of the debian packages as well. I would not recommend anyone else tries this, it will break a lot of stuff on standard desktops (probably!). I run Slim and compiz as standalone, not a standard set-up by any means.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

With the desktop background, installed gthumb it seems to work changing wallpaper. So EOG was what wasn't working for the wallpaper.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Unetbootin.

I just noticed that on this installation (201108 Gnome rc, 64bit, Update Pack 3) I am completely unable to run Unetbootin - perhaps somebody can confirm if this is me or the distro. My feeling is that it might be linked to the same error that makes the it impossible to change login preferences ie. it is not asking for authorisation to run. OTOH I tried running it from a root file manager and it wouldn't run from that either. I don't know how to start it from a terminal so I can't give you any error messages.

The same file starts from other distros so it is not faulty.

Return to “LMDE Archive”