Mint 11 KDE development

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 11 KDE development

Post by Andrew33 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:58 pm

My experience so far manny is a great one.....it's been very smooth...this the snapshot of my experimental LMDE_KDE version off of my laptop: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 09....this is a usb sata drive 320GB. I'm currently gearing up a custom desktop build found here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=79217 for testing of the 64bit version of LMDE.

manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Andre5859. Fantastic to hear. I solved my flasplayer problem. To create the document, obviously, one needs to be on root. Everything works very smooth. Those are litle problems I'm sure will be fixed on the final release and on LMDE_KDE. The experience so far is fantastic.

tshann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tshann » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi,
I went through a great deal to try to get this puppy to work in Kubuntu 11.04. The final solution - for my rig (HP DV6233se) was to uninstall the bcmwl-kernel-source. I did confirm that the bcm43xx was blacklisted and removed the blacklist - didn't work. No fix on the broadcom sta driver ever worked. But after installing firmware-b43-installer (which automatically brought in cutter) I could get it to work, but I had to log into a terminal every time @ boot up and type in sudo modprobe b43. It was only after removing the above source file and rebooting that my rig came up with a working wireless for Kubuntu 11.04. Hope this is useful for someone else.

Peace

foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:56 am

So no word since the "mid-August" projection? No activity on the Community ISO page either...
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 pm

foggytown wrote:So no word since the "mid-August" projection? No activity on the Community ISO page either...
Everything is waiting on the final release of the LMDE respin as well as the finalization of the new LMDE update system. Testing of both is going on right now at a rapid pace, believe me. Unfortunately, it's not obviously visible except in certain LMDE testing threads at the moment. We're currently testing the new Update Pack 3 via the "incoming" LMDE testing repo as well as the new "incoming" "security" and "multimedia" repos. What this all means is when the LMDE final is released, all 3 repos involved with LMDE will be under Mint's control (debian.linuxmint.com). Once that's all in place and the final LMDE respin is released then the .iso(s) of LMDE-KDE can be built and tested. I'm sure that testing of the new LMDE-KDE is going on right now. There simply won't be an "official" test .iso until LMDE respin is final.

Hope that makes sense. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:19 pm

kmb42vt wrote:
foggytown wrote:So no word since the "mid-August" projection? No activity on the Community ISO page either...
Everything is waiting on the final release of the LMDE respin as well as the finalization of the new LMDE update system. Testing of both is going on right now at a rapid pace, believe me. Unfortunately, it's not obviously visible except in certain LMDE testing threads at the moment. We're currently testing the new Update Pack 3 via the "incoming" LMDE testing repo as well as the new "incoming" "security" and "multimedia" repos. What this all means is when the LMDE final is released, all 3 repos involved with LMDE will be under Mint's control (debian.linuxmint.com). Once that's all in place and the final LMDE respin is released then the .iso(s) of LMDE-KDE can be built and tested. I'm sure that testing of the new LMDE-KDE is going on right now. There simply won't be an "official" test .iso until LMDE respin is final.

Hope that makes sense. :D

Kmb42vt, thank you for the update, I give lots of merits on the team and what they are triying to achieve. In my opinion, this is the road to success and for other distributions, to emulate. However, omh opinion, when it comes to KDE, the team fails to keep the comunity informed properly. I'm not demanding anything, I'm grateful I can be a user and I admire LM for what it is and I'm faithful to the comunity; but LM needs to improve communications when it comes to KDE. Information like yours keeps every one together, other ways, if there is not information, people my feel there is not care and maight move to other distributions, which it is sad to do when, in my opinion, LM is the best.

thenewguy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thenewguy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:14 am

Agreed. A year ago there was talk of Mint KDE being released at about the same time as the main edition releases. Now it's been about five months since Mint 11 came out and there's no sign of a KDE edition on the horizon. I don't mind the delay so much as the silence. Is KDE going to be based on LMDE? Is there even going to be a KDE edition going forward?

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:44 am

Read Post #15 from Clem in the comments after the latest announcements on the main linux mint page...

Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gnarly » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:23 pm

thenewguy wrote:Agreed. A year ago there was talk of Mint KDE being released at about the same time as the main edition releases. Now it's been about five months since Mint 11 came out and there's no sign of a KDE edition on the horizon. I don't mind the delay so much as the silence. Is KDE going to be based on LMDE? Is there even going to be a KDE edition going forward?

This has always been a problem with the Kde and the Fluxbox forums. There is very little comments/info from the Head developer's of said editions. You have to scrounge around for info.

Alittle update from time to time in the forums would be nice...

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:57 am

craig10x wrote:Read Post #15 from Clem in the comments after the latest announcements on the main linux mint page...
(Thanks Craig) ...where Clem responds to a comment about LMDE KDE...
Clem wrote:The fundation [sic] for it is LMDE. We’re in the process of updating it so it’s natural for Boo to step back and wait for a stable release.
...so I'm inferring that LMDE (now in RC release) needs to be finalized first.

Joe

Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:15 pm

KDE definitely feels like a 2nd class citizen around here (maybe not even that high).

I'm considering either adding the KDE packages to LMDE XFCE or upgrading to Kubuntu Oneric (beta).
The first option seems like an inefficient method (and I'm not sure 4.7 is in the repos anyway) so I'm leaning toward Kubuntu.

I have a 2nd PC which I'll put an install on tonight. I'll be a little sad to drop Mint if I go the Kubuntu route.
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

solna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solna » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Fandangio wrote:KDE definitely feels like a 2nd class citizen around here (maybe not even that high).

I'm considering either adding the KDE packages to LMDE XFCE or upgrading to Kubuntu Oneric (beta).
The first option seems like an inefficient method (and I'm not sure 4.7 is in the repos anyway) so I'm leaning toward Kubuntu.

I have a 2nd PC which I'll put an install on tonight. I'll be a little sad to drop Mint if I go the Kubuntu route.
i dropped KDE 4.6.x on my Katya install(i went with KDE-Full just to ensure i didn't miss any libraries i might need, yeah, bit of software excess but you can always uninstall stuff afterwards...).

it's nice. very solid. it's tempting to drop it on an LMDE install but honestly, not knowing debian linux, i'll wait patiently for the LMDE-KDE spin.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:25 pm

solna wrote:...i'll wait patiently for the LMDE-KDE spin.
Agreed. And seeing as LM 10 KDE is only six months old, I'm quite content with it while I wait. That said, I do admit to wanting to play with the new LMDE KDE as soon as possible. :)

Given that LMDE is a prerequisite for LMDE KDE, I'm going to keep my eye on that release going final before I get my expectations up.

Joe

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't see KDE being released at least till the current version of LMDE goes into final. It is still RC..

Xwang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xwang » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Is there any news or roadmap?
Thank you,
Xwang

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm

KDE will be supported in LMDE in the future. See here for details.

Thread Locked.

Return to “KDE”