Getting hibernate to work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Getting hibernate to work

Post by enchance »

I can't seem to get hibernate to work. My screen turns black but the light on my laptop says it's still running. Did I miss something here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
It's not that hard to train a pengiun to do stunts. Just say, sudo roll-over or sudo play-dead.
Caffeine-induced designs by http://www.johnimbong.com

Husse

Re: Getting hibernate to work

Post by Husse »

Will it boot from that state?
I think thats the most important part...
Check if the disk is running. I know some computers does not turn off the light when going to hibernate
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

I too have had problems with the hibernate/sleep mode. I get an error message that tell me it's not working properly (duh) and to check the Help File.
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enchance »

Husse wrote:Will it boot from that state?
I think thats the most important part...
Check if the disk is running. I know some computers does not turn off the light when going to hibernate
Okay, when I hibernate the screen then proceeds to go blank but it doesn't shutdown since my screen is still a bit lighter than it should be than when it's off. Also, the light on my notebook is still on. Once, I'm in this state, when I press the power button, nothing happens so I have to do a forced shutdown to get my system back up.

Why doesn't it work? Back when I was still using xp, it hibernated ok.
It's not that hard to train a pengiun to do stunts. Just say, sudo roll-over or sudo play-dead.

carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

I also have the same issue I have a dell d800. It seems that gutsy is using a different method for hibernating and it seems alot of people are having issues. Do a search on the ubuntu forums. I'm hoping when I have a bit more time to see if here is a solution.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

constantine768 wrote:You might need to check if the drivers for the display card are installed correctly since I am also not able to put my lappy to hibernate.
This has never been a problem with previous releases. Also, please tell the noob here how to check the drives.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Also, please tell the noob here how to check the drives.
Drivers my friend not drives :)
This makes me wonder - do you have ATI or nvidia
I have a feeling the answer will be ATI
If so try to install the very latest driver 7.11 I'm not quite sure if Envy has it yet but I think so
Not all ATI cards (but most) will use this.
And yes - something seems to have happened.....
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:
Also, please tell the noob here how to check the drives.
Drivers my friend not drives :)
This makes me wonder - do you have ATI or nvidia
I have a feeling the answer will be ATI
If so try to install the very latest driver 7.11 I'm not quite sure if Envy has it yet but I think so
Not all ATI cards (but most) will use this.
And yes - something seems to have happened.....
Yes drivers not drives (I so embarrassed)...but the noobie question just keep on keeping on. I too think it's ATI, but how do I check for sure. I used the Control Center to check my hardware, but I don't see anything:(

ps thanks for you help.

***edit***

BTW, I ran Envy for grins and it indeed says some dependencies are missing. However, the above question is still valid, ATI or nvidia...I don't know. After all, I don't want to screw this up or break something. I do that too much as it is:(
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enchance »

Mine isn't working. I'm using ATI. Is there a fix for this?

newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I think Husse may have posted about this one already:
http://www.linux.com/feature/114220
Improved ways to suspend and hibernate a laptop under Linux

5th paragraph:
"The good news is that uswsusp is now stable, well integrated with kernel versions 2.6.17 onwards, and supported by most major Linux distributions. Debian (Etch and Sid) and Ubuntu (Edgy Eft and Feisty Fawn) users can install the uswusp package, enter their swap space partition when asked by the package manager, and then run s2disk to hibernate their laptop, as long as they run the stock kernel provided by their distribution."

Yes it is in synaptic. .
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thanks for the input
You may be right
If you use Synaptic there's an alternative to completely remove (apt-get --purge remove)
This removes config files as well. Maybe some left over config file was used....
This is motsly an educated guess
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by enchance »

Husse wrote:Thanks for the input
You may be right
If you use Synaptic there's an alternative to completely remove (apt-get --purge remove)
This removes config files as well. Maybe some left over config file was used....
This is motsly an educated guess
So, to summarize: Don't install uswsusp in Synaptic (or usw, susp for that matter). Am I right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”