Root

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

To launch something from root:

Code: Select all

sudo thecommand
To become root:

su -
If you've never given root a password, you must first do so before using su -:

sudo passwd root
Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dr.U
Level 2
Level 2

I think that you are correct

Post by Dr.U »

Frijolie wrote: does sudo just work for that particular command and then digress back to user access and the su keep root access until you close the terminal window?
The way I understand it, is exactly the way you have described it: when using sudo the root access ends with the end of the command. However, any further use of sudo <some command requiring root permission> does not ask again for your password, as long as this next use of sudo occurs within some default time window (I forget what the default time value is, but I seem to remember it being something like 5 or 10 minutes). It is also possible to change the default time to some other value (like 0 minutes, in which case you get asked for your password each time you use sudo) -- but I've also forgotten how to do this change :oops:

When using su, you retain root permission until the terminal window is closed (and I remember someone telling me that it is always good practice and safest to first log out of your root access mode (Ctrl-d will do that for you quickly) and then close the terminal window -- but I never do this su stuff: I always use sudo.

Regards,
-- Dr.U
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Need Help

Post by scorp123 »

gamedogs wrote: the part were it ask you to type in the password when i attempt to write it in the password the keyboard will not respond
The password or key entries are never echoed back :lol: So when you type a password on a UNIX-like system such as Linux, you have to do it blindly ... there won't be any asterixes, no stars, no dashes, no question marks, no visible hint whatsoever that you are typing the password (unlike the BS they show in movies). Just type it and hit enter ... if you didn't do it right the system will tell you so :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Yep

Post by scorp123 »

gamedogs wrote: I got it installed played it for a bit but now when i get back into the game the sounds gone ???
Only in the game or generally?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Well ... can't you just check the sound settings and the volumes again? Maybe it's something harmless like that.

Return to “Other topics”