Flickering intel graphics on hybrid AMD graphics machine

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
trenthawkins

Flickering intel graphics on hybrid AMD graphics machine

Post by trenthawkins »

I have a Dell Vostro 3350, which uses a mux-less switchable graphics solution to change between the integrated Intel card and the AMD card.

Long story short, it means that the display adapter is connected to the intel graphics card, but the discrete amd card is called upon from time to time for rendering. On Linux this means that it's currently not possible to switch to the amd card discretely and what happens is that when i boot into LMDE i have both the Intel and AMD cards running full throttle and my battery life is terrible.

I used this method to get vga_switcheroo working so i could switch off the AMD card and run graphics solely off Intel: http://old.nabble.com/vga_switcheroo-sw ... 00563.html

However when i turn off the AMD card the display starts to flicker and eventually becomes so bad i can't use the computer and i have to revert to the previous setting or boot into Windows.

Is this a KMS issue?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

The details of the VGA controllers are below.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:04cc]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 49
Region 0: Memory at f6400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Region 2: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
Region 4: I/O ports at f000
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: i915

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc NI Seymour [AMD Radeon HD 6470M] [1002:6760] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
!!! Unknown header type 7f
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: Flickering intel graphics on hybrid AMD graphics machine

Post by wyrdoak »

I don't know if you have seen this or not? http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.c ... -1004.html

Return to “LMDE Archive”