Status Report on Update Pack 3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Status Report on Update Pack 3

Post by malligt »

I keep seeing posts on Update Pack 3, so I'm curious as to the present status/release date of Update Pack 3 for those of us pointed to "Latest".

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Status Report on Update Pack 3

Post by malligt »

With all due respect, I don't see how your reply answers my question. Your reply-link deals with "incoming" and my op was asking about "latest".

Thanks!
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie »

I am curious about this as well. Update pack 3 has been in 'incoming' for over 2 weeks now, and I would have expected it to show up in 'latest' by now.
My guess is that there is a show stopper in UP3 and that it won't be released.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

if you go though the topic Habitual linked, you can see there's no issues with update-pack3;
now, if you read though the testing pages in the community website, you will see that Clem's intention (as far as i can understand is to hold up3 until the final release of the 201108 respin :)
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Thanks zz for taking the time to clarify my question.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

malligt wrote:With all due respect, I don't see how your reply answers my question. Your reply-link deals with "incoming" and my op was asking about "latest".

Thanks!
All I meant was "Open Search, input Criteria".
People tend to open new threads for on-going discussions elsewhere on the forum.
Even though searching doesn't yield an 'exact' hit topic-wise, a little discernment through such posts can be very enlightening.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Clem announced the publication of the new LMDE isos for Gnome and Xfce. He added the following information:
Update Pack 2 and Update Pack 3:

This release comes with Update Pack 2 and points to the “Linux Mint Debian Latest” repository as well as the Debian “Security” and “Multimedia” repositories.

Starting with Update Pack 3, “Security” and “Multimedia” become part of “Linux Mint Debian Latest”. When Update Pack 3 is made available, your sources will need to change and all of them will then point at Linux Mint. In the meantime, it is recommended not to apply up dates coming from “Security” and “Multimedia”, as they might not be compatible with the packages in Update Pack 2.
My question is the following. I am tracking Latest. Could somebody tell me if I have to change my sources.list and how?
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

When we must change our sources.list then we whil read it here on the forums.
How you change it is not so hard, open the update manager choose edit en choose software sources and then the second tab ( other software ).
There you can delete the orriginal security and multimedia lines, and add the new lines in it.
I think this is the easy way to do it, maybe others whil do it other ways.
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

kruijf wrote:When we must change our sources.list then we whil read it here on the forums.
An or those that do not read tech support forums or distro homepages except during reinstall? How are they supposed to know what, when and how? I imagine a bunch of people with messed up packages 6 months down the road won;t be good for mint. Put a script in the Update pack to change it automatically! Many people simply won't read that little message.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Christof999 wrote:
kruijf wrote:When we must change our sources.list then we whil read it here on the forums.
An or those that do not read tech support forums or distro homepages except during reinstall? How are they supposed to know what, when and how? I imagine a bunch of people with messed up packages 6 months down the road won;t be good for mint. Put a script in the Update pack to change it automatically! Many people simply won't read that little message.
How do you know there won't be a script in the update pack? :roll: nobody apart from clem and the the rest of the mint team know what's what so why don't we wait for an "official" response before we start this :wink:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I installed the final version of the re-spin iso and update pack 2 was available on "latest" which i installed...will i be ok when the source list is changed for update pack 3?

Also, i was also wondering about when the source list will need to be edited? Although Clem responded to me in the "announcement" page (where i asked this of Clem) and said he was testing now to see if the source list change could be sent down automatically (i guess either through an update in the mint updater or else in the pack itself...he didn't explain that aspect of it)...

That is a very good point that was brought out...many will simply not READ that the sources need to be changed which is why it is important that they get changed automatically and not through the need to manually "edit"...
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I got fed up with not being able to install a huge number of multimedia applications so I've gone ahead and just installed it from incoming :?
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Christof999 wrote:
Clem whill anounce it also on the blog site, he always do.
But a automatic script or something else that whil change it automaticly, should be a good thing.
Lets wait till we hear from Clem.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Ok, Just a minute please...

As the original poster, and after taking in all the replies, I'm confused....and following the advice of zerozero:
if you read though the testing pages in the community website, you will see that Clem's intention (as far as i can understand is to hold up3 until the final release of the 201108 respin :)
I waited for the respin release as zz requested. It's out as the blog announced. Great!

I'm currently pointed at Software Sources "Latest--- Update Pack 2".

As far as I know presently, there is no Update Pack 3 that has been released for those of us who have been tracking "LATEST".

True?

If False, if there exists a UP3 released for "LATEST" (not incoming or testing), can somebody please tell me how to get it?

Thanks.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Update pack 3 is not yet available for Latest.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Two quick questions (for those using "incoming" rather then "latest")...
did you change your source list after installing pack 2 but before pack 3? If you did...did you have any problem installing pack 3?

reason i am asking is that i am on "latest" and just installed the new iso...i did do the available pack2 that came up on my mint update...using the old source list that was on there...I know now that the source list needs to be changed before pack3 can be installed (when it's available in "latest")...but i was wondering if i should anticpate any updating problems? ( in regard to: conflicts between multimedia and security done under the old sources with the new sources and the pack3 multimedia and security)...

also, does that update pack (3) include gnome 3 in it...my newly installed LMDE is still showing gnome 2, but of course, haven't had the 300 or so updates of pack3 yet :wink:
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

I did just that: switching from latest to incoming. There is a special feedback thread for Incoming and update pack 3 where I reported yesterday. Before updating you just need to subscribe to the three repos advised by Clem (and close the formers ones).
Check this first: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=80386

Expect a huge update, after that, you CAN install the 3.0 kernel. It's not automatically installed I guess because older machines behave better with 486 and multicore with pae. So, it's up to you.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Can any one tell us when Update Pack 3 is comming to latest??
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

What should my "other sources" have in it to have the latest updates?
I know there is a new kernel out there and I am not getting it at this point.
Thanks
Dan

Return to “LMDE Archive”