Is Ubuntu Driving Users Away?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Is Ubuntu Driving Users Away?

Post by WinXpNewb »

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/i ... way-1.html

P.S. Not an intended blogspam. Not affiliated with the link. Just too lazy posting my own opinions on Linux nowadays.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is Ubuntu Driving Users Away?

Post by xenopeek »

WinXpNewb wrote:Just too lazy posting my own opinions on Linux nowadays.
Wait, what? :shock: :lol:
yaye

Post by yaye »

It is driving me away. I've gotten tired of having to undo more of what Ubuntu has done with each new release, and being forced to do things the "Ubuntu Way". They may be able to attract new users, but it won't be because of me. I'm the only one in my work environment who uses Linux, and now I'm distributing Linux Mint CD's & DVD's instead of Ubuntu (though not the LDME version, which I use). :D
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

yaye wrote:It is driving me away. I've gotten tired of having to undo more of what Ubuntu has done with each new release, and being forced to do things the "Ubuntu Way". They may be able to attract new users, but it won't be because of me. I'm the only one in my work environment who uses Linux, and now I'm distributing Linux Mint CD's & DVD's instead of Ubuntu (though not the LDME version, which I use). :D
Actually, starting out with Ubuntu was useful to me. Great support, fairly easy to get working, and I learned a lot by getting rid of things I didn't want.

It made a very easy and painless way to enter the Linux world. They went in directions I didn't want to go, so I bailed, but I'll always have a fond spot in my heart for Ubuntu.

Bob
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I have changed and Ubuntu has changed, we no longer suit each other.
Will they bring in new users ?
Maybe.
Are they driving away current users ?
Some.
Any change "drives"away some people, also some are now ready for changes in different directions than Ubuntu is going.
As you become a more experienced Linux user you learn more of what is possible, what you can do for your self, and more of what you like and what you don't.
Last edited by jeffreyC on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRI

Post by NRI »

Will they bring in new users ?
Maybe.
Are they driving away current users ?
Some.
Well, I did like Ubuntu until they changed things in 11.04. The new desktop environment is just not my cup of tea. However, when I recently set up a friend's laptop with LMDE and later on showed Ubuntu 11.04, he was rather impressed and liked Unity. It seems that Ubuntu is working toward getting the OSX crowd with their changes. More power to them. However, I do prefer LMDE Gnome.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

rtrev wrote:
yaye wrote:It is driving me away. I've gotten tired of having to undo more of what Ubuntu has done with each new release, and being forced to do things the "Ubuntu Way". They may be able to attract new users, but it won't be because of me. I'm the only one in my work environment who uses Linux, and now I'm distributing Linux Mint CD's & DVD's instead of Ubuntu (though not the LDME version, which I use). :D
Actually, starting out with Ubuntu was useful to me. Great support, fairly easy to get working, and I learned a lot by getting rid of things I didn't want.

It made a very easy and painless way to enter the Linux world. They went in directions I didn't want to go, so I bailed, but I'll always have a fond spot in my heart for Ubuntu.

Bob
+1 on everything that you said
Mikeb85

Post by Mikeb85 »

I actually started out on Linux Mint. Very nice operating system, but Ubuntu 11.04 is just a little nicer IMO (less buggy than Mint in my personal newbie experience). Although I hated it at first, I actually quite like Unity now (once I installed CCSM and changed it so it's no longer an eyesore). Using the dash I can open just about any application or folder without ever touching a mouse, or going through menus, which is nice. Plus I can use the launcher to put the applications my girlfriend wants to use, and everything I don't want her touching is hidden lol. I really don't understand the Unity hate. Once you actually commit time to using it (which I was reluctant to do as well) it's a much more efficient GUI, and is easy enough for the masses to use...

In the end, for all the people Canonical drives away, they'll attract many more, and IMO Ubuntu is the only Linux OS at the moment that has the potential to go 'mainstream' and take Microsoft or Apple's market share...
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Chat about Linux & Other Distributions from Editions ‹ About Mint Editions ‹ General Topics
NRI

Post by NRI »

I really don't understand the Unity hate. Once you actually commit time to using it (which I was reluctant to do as well) it's a much more efficient GUI, and is easy enough for the masses to use...
It's not that I hate Unity. After working with it for about three months, I decided to switch, because I just didn't like it. Even when I switched to the regular Gnome 2 interface, I found Ubuntu's responses lacking a certain speed. Therefore, I switched to LMDE. Well, another reason is that i wanted a rolling distro and not download a boatload of updates every six months with Ubuntu.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Ubuntu is kind of like Las Vegas. Every month several thousand people move there, and every month several thousand leave.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Personally I don't care much for unity so I think my comps will probably stick with Mint, openSuse, #!, and my hack. just find them more appealing IMHO. :D
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

I haven't used Ubuntu since 9.04, so I have never used the Unity interface (am downloading it now and will try it out on one of my other partitions). I though 9.04 was really ugly (way too brown, even after I had played with it and changed some) and I did not like the way it worked, menu bar at the top, Gnome menu tree, etc. So I left as soon as I found out about Mint, and started with (I think) Mint 7 xfce.

Have played with some others, and was exclusive to Peppermint for awhile. Now on Mint 9 LXDE, and plan to stick with Mint LXDE LTS versions. And that is what I recommend to clients.

My sister has been satisfied with Ubuntu (I think she has 10.04) on her laptop. So it is a matter of taste.

Ubuntu was my introduction to GNU/Linux, since it was, and probably still is, the most popular and easiest to find info on. So I give Ubuntu props for that, but I won't ever use it as my primary OS again.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Ubuntu is a stop along the Linux way for many users! Most start with Ubuntu, explore elsewhere a bit, come back to Ubu a time or two perhaps, and some move on to "advanced" distros like Arch and Debian. I think one of the most valuable ways that Ubuntu contributes to Linux overall is by introducing new users to Linux. Many move up to become developers and maintainers and such, not only to Ubu but other projects as well, including Debian and Mint!

Ubu was my first, and I've "visited" several others, from PCLinuxOS (pure awesomeness on a CD, but a bit troublesome on my hardware), Crunchbang, Mepis, Mint, Debian, SalixOS, Slax, and others.

I'm currently "home" on Xubuntu since Mint Xfce has switched to a Debian base. Debian installs okay but on my hardware it's still a pain. I'm hoping that Mint can do with it's Xfce edition what Mepis has done with KDE and what Ubuntu has done - make Debian truly "desktop friendly" and workable on my old hand-me-down hardware.

Three things this all boils down to for me: Hardware support, repositories, and tech support. There's just no outperforming Ubuntu and its derivatives (Mint included) in those three categories because of whatever Ubuntu does with the Debian kernel that makes it soooooo much easier; because of the vast Ubu repositories; and the Ubuntu Forums (where many Mint users find great tech support for their Ubu-based Mint as well as here).

Been there, donethat, got the teeshirt.... and will always remain an Ubu fanboy. Even when I'm using Mint.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Ubuntu was a stepping stone from Linspire for me. When I found Mint 6, I switched rather than fight.
I now run Mint 7, Gnome. Works for me as I am not much above a Windows user level. I do know how to stay out of trouble, though.
I do not like Command Line, aka, DOS.

L
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Ubuntu isn't driving me away. I'm okay with using Unity, but even if I wasn't, I'd just install Openbox or something in Ubuntu and use that instead. No big deal.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hmmm, well if it was just Unity... I did indeed switch to another DE, but even with that Ubuntu 11.04 kept crashing on me every few hours (either full halt, or spontaneous reboot). Given that I have all Intel hardware, nothing fancy and all mainstream, I just don't understand what else I'm expected to do but walk away from that apparently completely untested release. After fruitless efforts to get it to stop crashing, switching to Linux Mint 11 has been rock solid stable for me from the first day.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

@xenopeek - Yeah, if that was happening here, I'd probably be driven away, too! Most of the complaints I've read have been about Unity; no issues with 11.04 crashing here.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

MALsPa wrote:@xenopeek - Yeah, if that was happening here, I'd probably be driven away, too! Most of the complaints I've read have been about Unity; no issues with 11.04 crashing here.
Ah well, putting away my last few grudges, at least I'm happy now :wink:
NRI

Post by NRI »

One thing I do miss a lot is Ubuntu One - So far, I wasn't able to find the repos in LMDE.

Has anybody figured this out, by any chance?

Return to “Chat about Linux”