Does LMDE require swap partition? [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Bob E

Does LMDE require swap partition? [SOLVED]

Post by Bob E »

I just installed LMDE and checked the disk utility and noticed there is no swap partition. Is it required for this flavor of Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: Does LMDE require swap partition?

Post by Gerd50 »

Let me say it like this, i have a swap partition but it seems like my system never uses swap. Do you have another distri with
swap installed? If yes, you can use it. You only need to edit your LMDE etc/fstab for that.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Thats the great thing about magic there is always another way :wink: :

Debian, and Ubuntu have an incredibly convenient package that creates a swap file in any directory. Install with:
sudo apt-get install dphys-swapfile
The installation process with automatically create the swap file. Then just enable it with:
sudo swapon -a
Viola, a fully function swap file that is not on a separate partition.
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

My experience has been that the installer never correctly finds the swap partition. I have to fix it after each install with a two step solution:

Code: Select all

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
This will give you the uuid for each of your partitions, and hopefully you'll remember which one you set as swap.

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
Now you have to fix it in fstab. You'll probably find a swap entry in there already with an incorrect uuid specified. Edit and reboot.

HTH
Bob

ETA: No, you don't *have* to have a swap, but it's considered a real good idea.
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Thanks for the info everyone.
Gerd50 wrote:i have a swap partition but it seems like my system never uses swap.
How would I find out if swap is being used? Is there a command for the terminal that can show swap usage/history for current session?
sumski

Post by sumski »

free -m
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”