Partial Migration Option in the Installation Wizard

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
bugmenotprettyplz

Partial Migration Option in the Installation Wizard

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

I would like to suggest that a "Partial Migration" Option be added to the Linux Mint Installation Wizard, in addition to what normally occurs I would like it to:
1. Offer to backup any existing partitions to a external device.
2. Offer to move Linux and Windows "document" and "desktop" folders to the new install
3. Scan for Linux and Windows Applicatiions that are installed and offter:
A. To install the Linux Mint Version of that exact Application.
B. To install a appropriate alternative based on a database or package survey (similare to http://alternativeto.net/)
C. Offers to Explain Wine and instructs the user to gather the appropriate Windows installers.
Racoffey

Re: Partial Migration Option in the Installation Wizard

Post by Racoffey »

It would be nice to see more then a partial migration. I'm new to Mint, run a low bandwidth Internet connection and did my first mint install as a persistent flash-drive. It took over 4 hours to download the Mint OSI, then I spent the next 3 days realizing the programs and packages I needed and getting them installed. Now, I've been able to install a second hard drive onto my laptop and I've installed Mint on that hard drive and I have another 3 days of downloading to get it where I had it on the flash drive.

I like Mint, but if I have to do this every time I do a fresh install or worse yet, version update, I won't get rid of Mint, I'll simply never update it. LOL
rich_roast

Re: Partial Migration Option in the Installation Wizard

Post by rich_roast »

Racoffey wrote:I like Mint, but if I have to do this every time I do a fresh install or worse yet, version update, I won't get rid of Mint, I'll simply never update it. LOL
There's less wrong with that than you might think. My own policy is not to upgrade any packages unless I'm missing a feature or there's a bug that I know has been fixed.

With some fleshing out the OP's idea has its merits, for sure.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”