Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Any GUI app to configure samba on XFCE?

Post by spsf64 »

Hi
I'm looking for an application to configure samba file/directory share under xfce.
Is there something just like gnome (at least in ubuntu variant), where you just right click on a folder and select share using a simple GUI?

TIA
Sergio
edv
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Any GUI app to configure samba on XFCE?

Post by edv »

spsf64 wrote: Is there something just like gnome (at least in ubuntu variant), where you just right click on a folder and select share using a simple GUI?
There is this thunar-shares-plugin which does exactly that and is installed by default, but doesn't work for some reason.

Here are other tools you could use: http://www.samba.org/samba/GUI/
I use SWAT
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

edv wrote:
spsf64 wrote: Is there something just like gnome (at least in ubuntu variant), where you just right click on a folder and select share using a simple GUI?
There is this thunar-shares-plugin which does exactly that and is installed by default, but doesn't work for some reason.

Here are other tools you could use: http://www.samba.org/samba/GUI/
I use SWAT
The plugin does not work here too :(
I'll give swat a try
Thanks
Sergio
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
Be careful with SWAT. It's destructive in that it doesn't modify smb.conf it rewrites it from scratch. Make a copy of your existing smb.conf prior to it's use.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 »

altair4 wrote:

sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
Be careful with SWAT. It's destructive in that it doesn't modify smb.conf it rewrites it from scratch. Make a copy of your existing smb.conf prior to it's use.
I think system-config-samba is only available to ubuntu systems, not pure debian based, as is the latest mint xfce edition...???
Thanks for the advice on SWAT
Sergio
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Samba is a Gnome specific App. Really, has nothing to do with the OS or distro.

You can use Samba with other Desktop Environments - but, often with some degree of reconfigurability (playing with it)

I have used, either, Xfce, Openbox and Fluxbox for the past few years and have not had a need for anything-Samba. :P

If any trace of Samba is in my OS - somewhere - I never noticed nor configured it.

From the Xfce Projects: Thunar / FAQ
When will it support samba/network browsing?

It already does! Just mount your shares and go to them with Thunar! Just kidding.

You are obviously asking about Thunar being able to discover remote machines on a network and mount/unmount shares from them. What you are asking for is nice, but there is no common framework for it yet that Thunar can build on.

Thunar is designed to be a file manager, not a network file system manager. Once such a beast exists, Thunar and all other applications will be able to use it, and you can browse your samba or NFS shares in firefox or emacs, whatever.

Short answer: not any time soon unless you write it yourself.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I think system-config-samba is only available to ubuntu systems, not pure debian based, as is the latest mint xfce edition...???
You forced me to install Debian based XFCE in a Virtual Box VM. You are correct it is not there. My apologies for the bad advice. That is unfortunate since SWAT has never been my choice for a number of reasons: http://packages.debian.org/sid/swat
SWAT is no longer actively maintained, and its default configuration is not secure for use over an untrusted network. SWAT will also rewrite smb.conf, rearranging the entries and deleting all comments as well as include= and copy= options, so is not suitable for use in conjunction with hand-edited smb.conf files or the default package-managed configuration.
You are obviously asking about Thunar being able to discover remote machines on a network and mount/unmount shares from them. What you are asking for is nice, but there is no common framework for it yet that Thunar can build on.

Thunar is designed to be a file manager, not a network file system manager. Once such a beast exists, Thunar and all other applications will be able to use it, and you can browse your samba or NFS shares in firefox or emacs, whatever.

Short answer: not any time soon unless you write it yourself.
Since I'm now in Debian based XFCE it's apparent that quote is from someone who didn't get the memo. There is a "Network" link in Thunar that let's you browse the network for samba shares.

EDIT: Well it looked like it worked but it's broke. What a mess this thing is.

Anyway, Thunar + Samba access does in fact function because I can do this from a terminal:

thunar smb://192.168.0.100/share-name
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Samba GUI interfaces that might be available..
http://www.samba.org/samba/GUI/

I have never chosen webmin (a PHP) management tool for various Linux functions and utilities, however that is a well known option for those that want a web page interface to everything..
http://www.webmin.com/
  • I think the usual and smaller Linux tools are more than satisfactory for almost all cases..p/list]

Return to “Xfce”