Resizing disk: / point. Is it possible?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beer-in-box

Resizing disk: / point. Is it possible?

Post by beer-in-box »

Hi,
It seems I made a bad installation. I installed Mint on a single partition and a swap partition. I allocated 28 GB for Mint as I didn't expect myself to use it as much as I am doing right now.

So, I got an alert today, saying that only 1 GB remaining is all I have, I resized the Windows part and took another 18 GB. When I tried to add it to Linux partition (Mount point is /), of course it didn't let me because the partition was mounted. You know it is not possible to unmount it normally.

Then I rebooted and got into recovery mode. Tried to unmount the partition (being /dev/sda6) by umount -l /dev/sda6 command. I succeeded (I think and realized that it was not a good practice, but I was desperate). I succeeded of course. But then I encountered the other problem: I had unmounted the partition which the system works on :) So, parted (Text based of GParted I guess) couldn't find anything to modify.

I found kvpm to do the job, but I couldn't manage because of the same issue.

To sum up, I wanted to add another 18 GB to my Linux disk, and I failed. After what I tried, I am not even sure if I can do that. Is there a way?

BTW, I have the maximum number of partitions and I can't delete them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Resizing disk: / point. Is it possible?

Post by xenopeek »

Uh, just use your Linux Mint CD / DVD / USB stick from which you installed it (or download a new one). Boot into the live session, and use GParted from there to resize your partitions.

Maximum number of partitions? I see you have /dev/sda6 which is a logical partition. You can have at least 20 logical partitions...
beer-in-box

Post by beer-in-box »

xenopeek wrote:Uh, just use your Linux Mint CD / DVD / USB stick from which you installed it (or download a new one). Boot into the live session, and use GParted from there to resize your partitions.

Maximum number of partitions? I see you have /dev/sda6 which is a logical partition. You can have at least 20 logical partitions...
Thanks, this is helpful (At least it seems so, I'm gonna try it after this post).

I know I can have more logical partitions than I do have now. But I couldn't make it happen too. GParted told me that I have the maximum but I can have an Extended partition which basicly holds more than one partitions. I couldn't see how I could do that :) But I don't need it now, thanks to you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

beer-in-box wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Uh, just use your Linux Mint CD / DVD / USB stick from which you installed it (or download a new one). Boot into the live session, and use GParted from there to resize your partitions.

Thanks, this is helpful (At least it seems so, I'm gonna try it after this post).

I know I can have more logical partitions than I do have now. But I couldn't make it happen too. GParted told me that I have the maximum but I can have an Extended partition which basicly holds more than one partitions. I couldn't see how I could do that :) But I don't need it now, thanks to you.
You already have an extended partition, else there could be no /dev/sda6... You can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, one of which may be a extended partition; counting 1 to 4, you don't get to /dev/sda6 without already having an extended partition :D (Inside the extended partition, you can have logical partitions which start counting at /dev/sda5.) Easiest to do in GParted--look for /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 and see below which partition they are (either sd1, sda2, sda3 or sda4). That partition you first need to give more room, before you can either add logical partitions, or increase the size of /dev/sda6...
beer-in-box

Post by beer-in-box »

I wasn't aware that I could have only one :) Also, I wasn't aware that I allocated the extra space from the other partitions instead of the extended partition. Now, I am waiting for it to allocate another 18 GB and I have been waiting for 40 minutes, it says 1 hour to go. I am gonna report back.

Return to “Beginner Questions”