SecurStick on Linux Mint / Running linux binaries?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
beslayed
Level 1
Level 1

SecurStick on Linux Mint / Running linux binaries?

Post by beslayed »

I'm trying to run the USB encryption program SecurStick on Linux Mint. It is a linux binary.

Under Bodhi linux, I can just double-click the icon, or else run it through the terminal via

Code: Select all

./SecurStick-linux

And the file, when I view it under Bodhi Linux has 777 permissions.

When I take the same file (on the USB stick) to my laptop running Linux Mint: (1) when I double-click the file, it asks me which application to use to open it; (2) when I look at the permissions, they are now 644 (even though it's the same file); (3) and, unsurprisingly, when I try

Code: Select all

./SecurStick-linux
it tells me "permission denied".

I'm perplexed why the same file would act different under Mint and under Bodhi.

In any case, I'm assuming it's not specific to the SecurStick-linux file, but related to some sort of setting for Mint that I don't know about.

Any suggestions for how to fix, or work-around, etc? Since currently I can't get the program to run at all under Mint.
beslayed
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SecurStick on Linux Mint / Running linux binaries?

Post by beslayed »

Update: It seems to be specific to trying to run the program from the USB drive under Linux Mint. I can run the same program from the hard-drive in Mint.

But that won't work for me, as the it should be run from the same directory where the encrypted volume is, which is on the USB drive.

And, it does run from the USB drive under Bodhi Linux, so I don't understand why it won't under Mint!?!
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Securstick and how it is used
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... rivileges/
  • The installation is straight-forward, just extract the program to your USB drive and run it. The fact that it has a web interface does feel a bit strange at first, but one can get easily accustomed to that. After you have set up a password (for which you have to meet some extreme requirements, I think), a safe zone is created in the folder encrdata on the drive (having both “hidden” and “system” attributes). Inside, a folder called data will contain all the encrypted files; the filenames will be scrambled, if one chooses to. However, there is still some transparency from the outside as to what’s in your safe zone.
beslayed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beslayed »

@DrHu: Yes, I get that.

And I can get it to work under Bodhi Linux, and under Windows. Just not under Linux Mint.

Thanks!
GopherBaroque
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GopherBaroque »

http://www.withopf.com/tools/securstick/ FAQ:

Q: I use SecurStick under Linux and am having trouble starting the application from a USB stick. What can I do?
A: Because Linux can not be executed mounts usually FAT-formatted USB sticks to SecurStick will not start. So you do not always need to include the stick as root, it is to enter the stick with its UUID in fstab as executable helps. This works like this:

Determine the UUID of the drives with the command "sudo blkid"
Create a mount point using the command "sudo mkdir / media / USB-Stick"
Enter the stick in the fstab with "sudo pico / etc / fstab"
Expand the fstab file with the following line:
UUID=3D72-8344 /media/USB-Stick vfat defaults,users,noauto,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
Instead of "3D72-8344" insert the appropriate UUID of the respective sticks.

After a reboot Linux binds the USB stick so that the program can start SecurStick.
Many thanks to Stefan Baireuther for this tip.

Return to “Software & Applications”