Problem with Gnome Menu search

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adefigo

Re: Problem with Gnome Menu search

Post by adefigo »

rdonnelly wrote:I found you can also do Menu Preferences>Applications then deselect>Search for packages to install.
Doesn't work for me, this setting seems to be ignored.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

adefigo wrote:
rdonnelly wrote:I found you can also do Menu Preferences>Applications then deselect>Search for packages to install.
It is working for me on 3 machines, go figure?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Ikey,

FWIW I tried the 'solution' as given earlier in this thread. I can assure you that it does not work for me. Although it allows you to complete the typing of lib into libre office, and even gives you enough time to search for it, it does NOT prevent the runaway mintmenu process and accompanying overheating, all it does is slow it down at bit. I still had to kill the mintmenu process in order to prevent the overheat. So whatever your answer is, this is not it.

I think mintmenu really needs some serious looking at. 90% of the time on LMDE I am using the fluxbox window manager which does not use mintmenu and therefore I have not really noticed this before, but over the last half day I have been using Gnome desktop on LMDE and I note from conky that mintmenu - even when unused - is always in the top 4 processes for consuming resources and usually it is top of that list. The amounts it consumes are only small, maybe 0.5% cpu and 1.5% memory, so not enough to cause any problems, but in my innocence, I would have expected an unused menu button to consume zero resources (or near enough) until somebody clicks on it, this is certainly not the case.

On mint 10 mintmenu is never visible in conky 'top' processes unless you are using it.
msbln

Post by msbln »

adefigo wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, this setting unfortunately does not have any effect on my system either.
So I can only repeat what adefigo says: it seems to be ignored.
msbln

Post by msbln »

adefigo wrote:Quick and dirty fix:
in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py
line 797 - 803 comment out the lines starting with thr

Code: Select all

if self.current_suggestion is not None and self.current_suggestion in text:
                            # We're restricting our search... 
                            self.add_search_suggestions(text)
                            #if (len(self.current_results) > 0):
                                #self.add_apt_filter_results_sync(self.current_results, text)
                            #else:
                            #thr = threading.Thread(name="mint-menu-apt-filter", group=None, target=self.add_apt_filter_results, args=([text]), kwargs={})
                            #thr.start()  
                        else:
                            self.current_results = []  
                            #thr = threading.Thread(name="mint-menu-apt-filter", group=None, target=self.add_apt_filter_results, args=([text]), kwargs={})
                            #thr.start() 
and re-login.

The menu is finally usable. :-)
It works for me too.
I didn't want to wait for the fix anymore.

Thank you, adefigo.
yet_another_username

Post by yet_another_username »

So, what's the status for this fix? I'm very thankful to adefigo for his fix, which worked for me. However, I'm hesitant to recommend Mint to other users because of this bug. I myself just moved to Mint from OpenSuSE, and other than this particular bug, I've been far happier with Mint. However, I don't want to recommend this to other people if their computer is going to freeze. And, for those who migrate from Windows and decide to give Linux a chance, something like this could give them a bad impression of Linux as a whole.
Herbivore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Herbivore »

yet_another_username wrote:So, what's the status for this fix? I'm very thankful to adefigo for his fix, which worked for me. However, I'm hesitant to recommend Mint to other users because of this bug. I myself just moved to Mint from OpenSuSE, and other than this particular bug, I've been far happier with Mint. However, I don't want to recommend this to other people if their computer is going to freeze. And, for those who migrate from Windows and decide to give Linux a chance, something like this could give them a bad impression of Linux as a whole.
Ditto!
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I tried few times

It did not work for me. Still hang with CPU100%
msbln

Post by msbln »

wayne128 wrote:I tried few times

It did not work for me. Still hang with CPU100%
Why not?

1. Terminal: sudo gedit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py
2. comment out line 799,800, 804,805 so that it looks like:

#thr.start()
else:
#thr.start()

3. Save & Restart
Darksun

Post by Darksun »

Is there any word on an official fix? The code workaround works for me, but I quite like being able to search packages from the mintMenu (when it doesn't freeze) so it's a shame to lose this feature.

Also, it is possible to recover from this crash without resetting X/the computer by dropping into a terminal and killing the mintMenu process.

If you don't know how to do that: press ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to terminal 1. Log in, and type

killall mintmenu
Press ctrl-alt-F7 to switch back to your desktop. A dialogue will pop up asking if you want to reload mintMenu, click to reload and all should be well (till next time you try typing in a common word into the menu)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Since Mint 11, I am also having this problem. The computer locks up for some 10 seconds when I type 'trac' into the Mint Menu: there is no program with 'trac' in the name installed at me.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

#else:
                            #thr.start()  
                        else:
                            #thr.start() 
and re-login.

Sorry but what is the edit command for this file. I can look at it but can't edit it with the text editer
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

belay my last! It helps to read the whole post.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Right-click it: Open as Root/Administrator (don't know exact English name as my Mint is Dutch).

Or in terminal:

gksu gedit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
adefigo

Post by adefigo »

Glad and proud I could help you all! :D
limotux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by limotux »

#else:
                            #thr.start()  
                        else:
                            #thr.start() 
That's great! :D
This was the only thing that works, but with no package search :cry:
By the way, not necessary to find "thr" at the same lines mentioned, mine was 1 or 2 lines different, but I noticed that from the editor you can search for thr without quotes, all what is found I commented out.

Maybe any other or complementary solution to keep package search?

P.S. disabeling search for packages only didn't work for me.

and re-login.

Lenovo G580
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 - LMDE 4 Debbie
In Love With Linux
skybluenova

Post by skybluenova »

I was running into the same problems. This happened "alln of a sudden", as I could type in whatever I wanted in the search box before, but today it just started behaving as also the others here have experienced it. So I modified the applications.py as adefigo suggested, et voilá :D the search does not hang anymore (I did not use package search anyways) .. great fix. I'm still wondering why I had no problems before and from today on things did not work -

Best
Dennis
msbln

Post by msbln »

Darksun wrote:Is there any word on an official fix? The code workaround works for me, but I quite like being able to search packages from the mintMenu (when it doesn't freeze) so it's a shame to lose this feature.

Also, it is possible to recover from this crash without resetting X/the computer by dropping into a terminal and killing the mintMenu process.

If you don't know how to do that: press ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to terminal 1. Log in, and type

killall mintmenu
Press ctrl-alt-F7 to switch back to your desktop. A dialogue will pop up asking if you want to reload mintMenu, click to reload and all should be well (till next time you try typing in a common word into the menu)
I like this idea most. It's simple and always handy to know.
Adefigos solution is subtle and works, at least until the next mint menu update.
As I don't want to repeat this workaround after every update,
I'll stick with Darksun's idea when the next hang occurs.
ksfooo

Post by ksfooo »

Linux Mint 11 Katya
Hi,
I have similar problem:
After I enter in the search Menu in Gnome "ca;c", whole system freezes. This happened, when I was looking for calculator and I missed the keyboard key "l".
I wanted to share this with you. Thanks

ksfooo

Return to “Beginner Questions”