[SOLVED] Setting up a System-Wide proxy

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Danko8321

[SOLVED] Setting up a System-Wide proxy

Post by Danko8321 »

I want to setup a System-Wide Proxy, but i really have no idea regarding how to do it: so here is the question How? What recomendations do you have? Any Proxy servers you would like to suggest? Perhaps some considerations about the subject? I thank your help in advance. I really know nothing about Proxy, and the main reason I want to set one up, is to bypass some restrictions, and to have a little more privacy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
istrandi

Re: Setting up a System-Wide proxy

Post by istrandi »

I don't have access to my mint box right now. However, what works in ubuntu should work in mint (assuming you are using the main version). So... you could try:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15719/wh ... y-settings

and see if this does what you want.

What restrictions do you want to bypass? If its stuff like content based upon country restrictions, then just google around for proxy's in the relevant countries.

Also, if you are after privacy/anonimity, and its just for basic web browsing i.e. in firefox, then you could consider TOR (https://www.torproject.org/). Note: If watching videos etc. you cannot use their bundled broswer.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Danko8321 wrote:setup a System-Wide Proxy
Menu > Preferences | Network Proxy | Apply System Wide
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

remoulder wrote:
Danko8321 wrote:setup a System-Wide Proxy
Menu > Preferences | Network Proxy | Apply System Wide
Yes, I already Knew that; in fact, thats how I got the idea, but, as I said, I'm a TOTAL Newbie, so i would like something a little more explicit, and, if possible, the basic structure of a proxy address (IF there is one), what should and shouldn't I do when I want to configure my own (I tried to do it but failed, so I was looking for something a little more "Idiotproof" than the things I found through google); Maybe I used a wrong Proxy Address, I don't know, but you might, so that is the nature of my request.

PD: I'm using the main version of Linux Mint 11; that means, Gnome desktop, and very alike to Ubuntu, but I still Can't make it work :cry: :cry: :cry:
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

Ok... for a list of free proxy's try here:

http://spys.ru/en/

not that I actually trust this but hey.

I grabbed one of theirs at random and put it in. Screenshot attached.

This should work.

I'm posting this through the proxy, and then I'm reverting.

Have fun with the proxy.
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

istrandi wrote:Ok... for a list of free proxy's try here:

http://spys.ru/en/

not that I actually trust this but hey.

I grabbed one of theirs at random and put it in. Screenshot attached.

This should work.

I'm posting this through the proxy, and then I'm reverting.

Have fun with the proxy.
Thanks, it seems to be the solution, but, as I told before, I'm a total Linux-newbie, so I have absolutely no idea of what to put in the "port" tab; it would help me to be more specific in the answer and please tell me how to configure the proxy to work with both Google Chrome an Mozilla Firefox, as well as the package manager. I did as you told me but i couldn't make Chrome nor Mozzila recognize it, and I'm running out of ideas regardig which boxes to change; PD: i tried to use the same settings you used, but it didn't work either.
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

Ok, using the settings I used, it should AUTOMATICALLY work with firefox. Haven't tried with chrome/chromium.

Did you remember to hit apply system wide?

BTW port = the port that the proxy specified. If in doubt try port 80 (default http).
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

istrandi wrote:Ok, using the settings I used, it should AUTOMATICALLY work with firefox. Haven't tried with chrome/chromium.

Did you remember to hit apply system wide?

BTW port = the port that the proxy specified. If in doubt try port 80 (default http).

Ok,I tried it, but I don"t know where does it say the port number (may it be the 4 number after the colon?), I've been trying with both Chrome and Firefox, but i can't get it right no matter what; I've also tried to connect using the default port (port 80), but it doesn't work either. Any other Ideas?

PD: thank you for your help, I see this is a very friendly community, and it's very pleasant to know I can count with your help (not like provider client service, where all they make sure is that it isn't their fault and then they hung up on you)
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

Ok, I'll give you step by step instructions as to what I did to make this work.

1. Close firefox.

2. Open Network Proxy Preferences.

3. Select Manual Proxy Configuration

4. Check the box "use the same proxy for all protocols"

5. Enter the url of the proxy and the port i.e. url: 81.200.10.38 and port: 3128

6. a. Click apply system wide
b. Enter your password in each of the popups

7. Click close on network preferences

8. Open firefox.

9. Select, Edit, Prefernces, Advanced, Network, Connection Settings.

10. Select Use system proxy settings

Try that. If this still doesn't work, I'll walk you through configuring just firefox/chrome
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

istrandi wrote:Ok, I'll give you step by step instructions as to what I did to make this work.

1. Close firefox.

2. Open Network Proxy Preferences.

3. Select Manual Proxy Configuration

4. Check the box "use the same proxy for all protocols"

5. Enter the url of the proxy and the port i.e. url: 81.200.10.38 and port: 3128

6. a. Click apply system wide
b. Enter your password in each of the popups

7. Click close on network preferences

8. Open firefox.

9. Select, Edit, Prefernces, Advanced, Network, Connection Settings.

10. Select Use system proxy settings

Try that. If this still doesn't work, I'll walk you through configuring just firefox/chrome
Thanks Man, I finally did it; it was really simple in the end, even though I was close to giving up; I don' know how to thank you properly for your help and your patience (I'm trying to sort out that "Linux-Newbie" situation, but I'm starting to think it might take some more time than that initially thought); I have just a little doubt: the port for the proxy is the one after the colon(:)? because I tried with it but it didn't work (the instructions you gave me worked perfectly though); I don't wan't to bother you again with the same question, so I need to learn how to recognize the port that the proxy is telling me to use. Again, thank you all, since you were very diligent and also very helpful
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

yep, the number after the colon is the port. Have fun!

BTW, mark the post as solved
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

istrandi wrote:yep, the number after the colon is the port. Have fun!

BTW, mark the post as solved

Thanks, now I was able to configure a proxy of my own, and know where the port directions are on the proxy address; Marked as solved

Return to “Beginner Questions”