[SOLVED]High memory usage

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
o_unico

[SOLVED]High memory usage

Post by o_unico »

I'm having high memory usage with my LMDE 64 bits with Gnome (I'm actually following Debian Testing repositories).
Some background info about my experience with computers (tl;dr):

Code: Select all

I'm new to Linux Universe, I was using Windows since I was introduced to computers but I have the desire to have the latest software applications at my hand and after Windows 98 SE Windows began  with unfair aggressive market strategies, in my point of view, releasing new products one after another in a quickly time segregating the users, I remember the time when every software was compiled twice, one time for 98 and another from XP. Then another companies followed the trend and after a time forgetting the 98 editions users and kind obligated us to buy new windows versions to keep ours products update. I don't know if I made myself clear to understand what I wrote here. Actually, I have a Dual boot system and I only use Windows XP for webcam conversations on MSN with my relatives who live faraway. By the time I was installing Windows XP Vista was being released but my poor old computer wasn't able to run that system without upgrading hardware parts.

So I decided to give Linux a try, I was looking for a user-friendly distribution and I found out Ubuntu was very big but my hipster side was stronger and I decided to look for more adventure and I ended up choosing Linux Mint Isadora Version.  I was quite happy and after I feel days and some tries of how to set up swap and formation stuff I completely forgot windows. Then I saw Julia was going to be released and I wanted to test but after some reading I learnt Julia it wasn't going to be a LTS release and the safest way to install it was backup all the important information and start a fresh install. I was kind of upset because I didn't want to every 6 months doing a fresh install. So I was looking for a solution and find out about Rolling distros and some time after LMDE was released. I made a fresh install and I'm using LMDE since its release.
I'll start dumping information about my old PC below:

romulo@romulo ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 22
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU          420  @ 1.60GHz
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 1607.562
cache size	: 512 KB
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 10
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dts
bogomips	: 3215.12
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
Memory Usage. I use my computer just for fun, at the moment I'm with only using Chromium with 10 tabs, no one with flash applications. I was a Firefox fanboy but the Mozilla software became a memory eater.

romulo@romulo ~ $ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           938        874         64          0          1         92
-/+ buffers/cache:        779        159
Swap:         1498        696        802
When I open sites with lots of ads and flash stuff like gossips sites, almost 3 tabs its enough to get my CPU running at 100%, Chromium pages becoming unresponsive and even my mouse stops responding up to 5 minutes! :cry:

Now the same stats with 3 gossips tabs and Amarok playing music at the time, which is what I do almost all day :D

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           938        890         47          0          0         42
-/+ buffers/cache:        847         91
Swap:         1498        951        547
Just looking by the numbers it doesn't show how slowly my computers acts. It took me almost 7 minutes to type in the terminal the command and copy and paste here.
How can I identify the problems source and fix this? Or its my computer to old and asking for a retirement? I tried using LXDE but the problem persisted.
Even If I tried to sum up all process manually I don't get this usage of ram. When I'm at Windows the same sites and activities (Like hearing music while Browsing) doesn't affect the using of computer.
Please don't tell me to get to back outdated system like Windows XP.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: High memory usage (or it's retirement time for my comput

Post by xenopeek »

It might be retirement time if you want to run flashy browsers like Firefox or Chromium. Both are hogs (memory hogs that is :D). You might try Opera, Rekonq or Epiphany as an alternative, perhaps. If you want a browser with add-ons and a wide range of media formats supported like Firefox and Chromium, it might be time for an upgrade.

Limiting to your system are two factors:
- Celeron 420 processor. This fine for lightweight use, but perhaps Gnome with Chromium you are asking too much of a single-core processor at 1,6 Ghz clockspeed with almost no built-in cache. Not putting it down, but it is a very low powered processor.
- Swap file use. If the RAM of the computer isn't large enough (1 GiB is rather limiting), swap file will be used. This holds loaded applications and data that are written to disk to make room in RAM for other applications or data, they are read back into RAM when needed and something else in RAM will be written first to disk to make room for it. I.e., if you have a slow harddisk this is giving you horrible performance. Horrible.

Things you can do:
- Run more lightweight applications / desktop environment, that requires less CPU power and RAM.
- Run less applications in parallel. They all hog memory, forcing swap to be used earlier and more frequently.
- The obvious, but not free, upgrade computer (just adding a GiB of RAM would make a difference).

Have a look at Menu -> Control Center -> System Monitor. Go to the Processes tab. Click the column header for Memory or CPU (make sure to click twice, so an upwards facing arrow is show), to sort the applications on that and have a look if you are running anything that you might not need. Post a screenshot if you want for other to have a look (especially memory is relevant).
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

There are tons of things ya can do. Not even sure where to start ... even want to. It'd be a shizzleton of typing. Vincent covered a couple there. Use of a lightweight DE ( xfce/lxde) or even better yet a windows manager. Though honestly think it's better to get a LM release specifically tailored to whichever light DE/WM you chose. Cause xfce with 900 gnome dependencies doesn't make much sense to me. Not sure if the Mint devs do that or not either. But xfce for example, should be using mostly xfce packages. Not bloated up with ones meant for gnome.

Get rid of unwanted startup apps in the gnome control center and/or with bum or with rcconf. Get rid of unneeded plugins and panel applets too.
note: One big resource hogging startup app you don't need, update manager. You can manually start it when ya wanna check for updates. It doesn't need to be sitting in the panelbar eating RAM and checking for updates every 5mins. Also bluetooth o course, if you don't use bluetooth devices with that PC. There's a bunch you can safely get rid of to lighten the load.

As for what's eating up your RAM/resources. Can open terminal and type top to look at the top culprits involved. Would downgrade to 32bit instead of 64 with 1gig/ram - whatever shared video or whatever is using. 64bit uses more system resources apparently.

Lower vm.swappiness=10 from the default of 60. Edit this file as follows.

gksudo atexteditor /etc/sysctl.conf

Scroll down and add this to the bottom of the file. Afterwards save the file ( the way you save any text file.) Next time you reboot swappiness will be set to 10, rather than 60.

# Set swap to a more reasonable level
vm.swappiness=10

Note: atexteditor means a text editor you have installed, whichever one you like to use. ie: gedit, leafpad, nano ... etc.

Would also say switch back to FF or one of its variants. FF 7 is supposed to be implementing some major memory saving improvements now. Just installed it today myself and only on XP. So haven't had time to really see if mozilla is going to live up to the hype surrounding it. Either way though, some about:config tweaks ( and easier to deal with ), a couple choice plugins will really make your browsing experience better and drastically cut down on RAM/CPU use in general. Noscript being the top of my list for all time greatest FF plugins when it comes to chopping down browser resource hogging.

(edit) Know you're using chrome/ium now. But if ya do switch back couple obvious things. Don't install 300 FF plugins and expect it to run like a dream. Install the ones you actually need and not a bad idea to either disable most of them, when you aren't using them. Or set up multiple FF profiles for specific tasks you want to do and install the plugins for that purpose in that profile. Either way ... I do both, a combo of all of that myself. Almost forgot another painfully obvious thing. Change your browsing habits if you have to. Though much of what I've typed until my fingers are bleeding here will really help make things run better for ya. Still don't expect a 1gig system to run like a 4gig dual/quad core one ... ya know.

With my old dinosaur setup here. Can have 20 tabs open ( not flash vid sites ) and only be using 150-180mbs/ram and hovering around 2% cpu most the time.

The only cure for flash devasting CPU's with browser flash vids, is basically not using flashplayers. From what I've seen they swallow CPU's and system resources whole. Some relief poss on the horizon supposedly html5 and the web is full of work arounds to bypassing flashplayer. Most of them seem 1/2 baked or over complicated from the ones I've been looking up today ( DAM FLASHPLAYER TO HEEL ! D: ) Though sadly haven't been able as of yet to find one that works for me for various reasons. Only recently started working on it. Getting real tired of watching youtube suck up in the range of 30% or more of my CPU to watch a friggin flv vid on the site.

If the lmde you're using uses that new 3.x kernel. Might play around with an older kernel version too. Rollback to an older one and see whatcha get. You can safely have several kernels installed anyway. You don't have to strictly only have one. Just a thought and that's your headache to sort out dealing with.

THE END: < lol ... that's the proper way to end a bk right ?

:D
o_unico

Post by o_unico »

xenopeek wrote:
Have a look at Menu -> Control Center -> System Monitor. Go to the Processes tab. Click the column header for Memory or CPU (make sure to click twice, so an upwards facing arrow is show), to sort the applications on that and have a look if you are running anything that you might not need. Post a screenshot if you want for other to have a look (especially memory is relevant).
In a distant past I already had upgraded my Memory Ram, it was just 96MB, I didn't know how I survived :D.
I'm a stingy guy, my PC has just 2 entries for memories blocks. I don't know if how it works. My HD is ATA and my motherboard only reads ATA. Today HD's are all SATA. For Ram memory, is it the same? They sell 1GB memory block already? To make up to 2GB.
I really use a lot of addons/plugins, I don't think I'll get used to Opera or other browser, but I'll give a try.

lmintnewb wrote:
Get rid of unwanted startup apps in the gnome control center and/or with bum or with rcconf. Get rid of unneeded plugins and panel applets too.
note: One big resource hogging startup app you don't need, update manager. You can manually start it when ya wanna check for updates. It doesn't need to be sitting in the panelbar eating RAM and checking for updates every 5mins. Also bluetooth o course, if you don't use bluetooth devices with that PC. There's a bunch you can safely get rid of to lighten the load.

Lower vm.swappiness=10 from the default of 60. Edit this file as follows.

gksudo atexteditor /etc/sysctl.conf

Scroll down and add this to the bottom of the file. Afterwards save the file ( the way you save any text file.) Next time you reboot swappiness will be set to 10, rather than 60.

# Set swap to a more reasonable level
vm.swappiness=10

Note: atexteditor means a text editor you have installed, whichever one you like to use. ie: gedit, leafpad, nano ... etc.

(edit) Know you're using chrome/ium now. But if ya do switch back couple obvious things. Don't install 300 FF plugins and expect it to run like a dream. Install the ones you actually need and not a bad idea to either disable most of them, when you aren't using them. Or set up multiple FF profiles for specific tasks you want to do and install the plugins for that purpose in that profile. Either way ... I do both, a combo of all of that myself. Almost forgot another painfully obvious thing. Change your browsing habits if you have to. Though much of what I've typed until my fingers are bleeding here will really help make things run better for ya. Still don't expect a 1gig system to run like a 4gig dual/quad core one ... ya know.

With my old dinosaur setup here. Can have 20 tabs open ( not flash vid sites ) and only be using 150-180mbs/ram and hovering around 2% cpu most the time.

The only cure for flash devasting CPU's with browser flash vids, is basically not using flashplayers. From what I've seen they swallow CPU's and system resources whole. Some relief poss on the horizon supposedly html5 and the web is full of work arounds to bypassing flashplayer. Most of them seem 1/2 baked or over complicated from the ones I've been looking up today ( DAM FLASHPLAYER TO HEEL ! D: ) Though sadly haven't been able as of yet to find one that works for me for various reasons. Only recently started working on it. Getting real tired of watching youtube suck up in the range of 30% or more of my CPU to watch a friggin flv vid on the site.

If the lmde you're using uses that new 3.x kernel. Might play around with an older kernel version too. Rollback to an older one and see whatcha get. You can safely have several kernels installed anyway. You don't have to strictly only have one. Just a thought and that's your headache to sort out dealing with.

THE END: < lol ... that's the proper way to end a bk right ?

:D
What more can I remove? I Couldn't manage to identify Update Manager icon by myself :? Take a look at the thumbnails:
As for what's eating up your RAM/resources. Can open terminal and type top to look at the top culprits involved. Would downgrade to 32bit instead of 64 with 1gig/ram - whatever shared video or whatever is using. 64bit uses more system resources apparently.
Can I do this without necessary doing a fresh install?
Would also say switch back to FF or one of its variants. FF 7 is supposed to be implementing some major memory saving improvements now. Just installed it today myself and only on XP. So haven't had time to really see if mozilla is going to live up to the hype surrounding it. Either way though, some about:config tweaks ( and easier to deal with ), a couple choice plugins will really make your browsing experience better and drastically cut down on RAM/CPU use in general. Noscript being the top of my list for all time greatest FF plugins when it comes to chopping down browser resource hogging.
is there already a FF7? :shock:
I'm stuck with FF5.
There was a plugin for greasemonkey with replaced youtube player by totem and it was great, but with the recent changes from youtube it isn't working anymore. Apparently the project was abandoned.

I have 3 and 2.3x but I'll try this.
Now I'm restarting my machine to see if it got any better after theses changes.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Haven't actually used lmde or any LM Debian based. I'm on a Debian stable distro and a coupla of others. Am too tired to go through a list of all those services. When in doubt ... google, when unsure, leave the service set to default. :D

cups could be one, if you don't have printing, samba ( do you do file sharing and networking ?) Though am going to go the safe route myself and say investigate and use caution with whatever you disable. Lmde may not have the standard update manager and since I don't know its UI, not sure where or whether to look for it. Assumed the LM Debian gnome release would be really similar to their gnome buntu ones. My experience with Mint was limited to Mint 10. Was ok ( great stepping stone into gnu/nix me thinks ) ... got tired of the bloat, having to tweak and then sort out borkage and strongly dislike ubuntu. So ended up moving on to other stuff. So while some of that may be restricted to Mint buntu based releases. Much of it applies no matter what you're using.

(edit) On second thought, not being fair to LM there above. Seems like LM tries to be all things to all people and for all that they do, jmo ... They do a darn fine job of it. Guessing they have summin for everyone here, newb ( like me ) to gnu/nix guru.

Am fairly well sure 64 to 32 is new/fresh install time.

Yep FF 7 is already here. So far am not super impressed with it on Xp. Haven't used it enough to really know yet. Can only say am not being dazzled or amazed yet though, lol.

Yep on the totem thing. Tried it today, wasted the whole day pretty much looking for any decent alternatives to adobe flashplayer or a good way to bypass it. When I definitely had more important stuff to do. By now am really starting to strongly dislike adobe, plus google for using their flv format !!! D: Hoping they both shrivel up and die ! DIE ! DIEEEEEEEE ! Sighs ... lack of sleep and caffeine typing. You'll have to pick and choose what's useful in that book I posted. Using a lighter DE ( good boost ), disabling unneeded/wanted ram suking startup apps/services ( good boost ) and lowering swappiness ... also good. Some other universal goodness in that pile too.

But those are some of the resource misers worst enemies online. Flash ( flashplayer I despise ) and javascript too. Thus the noscript, stops a bunch of stuff dead in its tracks. I have 1/2 the RAM you do and am just in general anal retentive about system resources. So I watch stuff religiously and tweak it to hades and gone to trim it out where I can w/o losing functionality. Imo flash/flashplayer BLOWS though ! D:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

From the screenshots, quick count shows Chrome using around 400 MiB of memory, with Java at 160 MiB and Amarok the third most memory heavy at 60 MiB. Just comparing this to my system;
- Firefox 7 with 8 open tabs (some flash) is using just 160 MiB of memory (240 MiB / 60% less than your Chrome)
- No Java loaded, saving another 160 MiB of memory (find what application is using Java, and replace it with something not needing Java)
- Rhythmbox as media player uses just 30 MiB of memory (30 MiB / 50% less than your Amarok)

Just as an example that choosing the right applications can reduce your memory usage a lot. Total savings from this example: 430 MiB. If fact, my system is using just under 800 MiB of memory total, compared to you showing 1,9 GiB of memory in use...

Yes, you can add memory if you have an empty slot. Run the following command from the terminal:

sudo lshw -class memory
And share the output here for us to advise you on what memory to get.
Elmacus

Post by Elmacus »

>only using Chromium with 10 tabs

In Chrome every tab is a instance of Chrome, so you run 10 independant webbrowers in one window. Each 30 MB atleast.
Firefox uses same instance for all tabs, with just a little extra memory for each.
Just to remember ONLY is not only ;-)
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Just looking by the numbers it doesn't show how slowly my computers acts. It took me almost 7 minutes to type in the terminal the command and copy and paste here.
How can I identify the problems source and fix this? Or its my computer to old and asking for a retirement? I tried using LXDE but the problem persisted.

Reading your thread reminds me of my earlier linux experiment with many distros on a few computers, one of them is with Celeron 2G, 1G RAM, integrated graphic

1. tested only 32-bit
2. firefox with flash will get CPU nearly 80%, RAM is low, much lower than yours 8xxM
3. play any HD media file, MP4 format, one sure way to get CPU 100% for long time, Celeron 2G plus integrated graphic simply cannot cope for ALL distros.

If I rank low RAM/ Low CPU % I would roughly get this pictures

Better , less ram / lower cpu
antiX, aptosid, Debian-xfce

Middle:
Salix, Zenwalk, Vector

Slow, higher RAM/ higher cpu.
Mint, Pinguy, etc

After much time playing and learning I know where the limits are on this box
It is still a stable box!! no crash, it just run, even CPU 100% it will recover!!
So this box become the best box as a headless NAS... and it can hide at one corner happily.

If you really want to know how well it runs, try on antiX and aptosid ( you can be surprised).
o_unico

Post by o_unico »

lmintnewb wrote:Haven't actually used lmde or any LM Debian based. I'm on a Debian stable distro and a coupla of others. Am too tired to go through a list of all those services. When in doubt ... google, when unsure, leave the service set to default. :D

cups could be one, if you don't have printing, samba ( do you do file sharing and networking ?) Though am going to go the safe route myself and say investigate and use caution with whatever you disable. Lmde may not have the standard update manager and since I don't know its UI, not sure where or whether to look for it. Assumed the LM Debian gnome release would be really similar to their gnome buntu ones. My experience with Mint was limited to Mint 10. Was ok ( great stepping stone into gnu/nix me thinks ) ... got tired of the bloat, having to tweak and then sort out borkage and strongly dislike ubuntu. So ended up moving on to other stuff. So while some of that may be restricted to Mint buntu based releases. Much of it applies no matter what you're using.

(edit) On second thought, not being fair to LM there above. Seems like LM tries to be all things to all people and for all that they do, jmo ... They do a darn fine job of it. Guessing they have summin for everyone here, newb ( like me ) to gnu/nix guru.

Am fairly well sure 64 to 32 is new/fresh install time.

Yep FF 7 is already here. So far am not super impressed with it on Xp. Haven't used it enough to really know yet. Can only say am not being dazzled or amazed yet though, lol.

Yep on the totem thing. Tried it today, wasted the whole day pretty much looking for any decent alternatives to adobe flashplayer or a good way to bypass it. When I definitely had more important stuff to do. By now am really starting to strongly dislike adobe, plus google for using their flv format !!! D: Hoping they both shrivel up and die ! DIE ! DIEEEEEEEE ! Sighs ... lack of sleep and caffeine typing. You'll have to pick and choose what's useful in that book I posted. Using a lighter DE ( good boost ), disabling unneeded/wanted ram suking startup apps/services ( good boost ) and lowering swappiness ... also good. Some other universal goodness in that pile too.

But those are some of the resource misers worst enemies online. Flash ( flashplayer I despise ) and javascript too. Thus the noscript, stops a bunch of stuff dead in its tracks. I have 1/2 the RAM you do and am just in general anal retentive about system resources. So I watch stuff religiously and tweak it to hades and gone to trim it out where I can w/o losing functionality. Imo flash/flashplayer BLOWS though ! D:
Well, I tried to change some habits... In repositories Firefox still is version 5! I had to download it from the source but wasn't able to install flash player 11 on it. So I replaced it for Iceweasel. I'm using LXDE instead of Gnome (I loved the cute wallpaper, but the design it's kinda gross, need to trim some edges. Unfortunately I need flash for my fun purposes.
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 938 876 61 0 17 124
-/+ buffers/cache: 734 204
Swap: 1498 13 1485
It's running smooth now. But I'm still looking to cut another things.
xenopeek wrote:From the screenshots, quick count shows Chrome using around 400 MiB of memory, with Java at 160 MiB and Amarok the third most memory heavy at 60 MiB. Just comparing this to my system;
- Firefox 7 with 8 open tabs (some flash) is using just 160 MiB of memory (240 MiB / 60% less than your Chrome)
- No Java loaded, saving another 160 MiB of memory (find what application is using Java, and replace it with something not needing Java)
- Rhythmbox as media player uses just 30 MiB of memory (30 MiB / 50% less than your Amarok)

Just as an example that choosing the right applications can reduce your memory usage a lot. Total savings from this example: 430 MiB. If fact, my system is using just under 800 MiB of memory total, compared to you showing 1,9 GiB of memory in use...

Yes, you can add memory if you have an empty slot. Run the following command from the terminal:

sudo lshw -class memory
And share the output here for us to advise you on what memory to get.
My Iceawesel is now using 230MB, no flash (confused?!) but it's bettter than Chromium.
I'm now trying to desactivate Java Autostart, I've already found its origin.
I never managed to configurate Rythmbox the way I did with Amarok. Only with foobar but this last one applications it's only for Windows. I'll try for other solutions. Actually testing Foobnix and DeadBeef.

romulo@romulo ~ $ sudo lshw -class memory
  *-firmware              
       description: BIOS
       vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
       physical id: 0
       version: FC
       date: 08/14/2007
       size: 128KiB
       capacity: 448KiB
       capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb agp ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification
  *-cache:0
       description: L1 cache
       physical id: 8
       slot: Internal Cache
       size: 64KiB
       capacity: 64KiB
       capabilities: synchronous internal write-back
  *-cache:1
       description: L2 cache
       physical id: 9
       slot: External Cache
       size: 512KiB
       capacity: 1MiB
       capabilities: synchronous internal write-back
  *-memory
       description: System Memory
       physical id: 16
       slot: System board or motherboard
       size: 1GiB
       capacity: 1GiB
     *-bank:0
          description: DIMM 41632 MHz (0,0 ns)
          physical id: 0
          slot: A0
          size: 512MiB
          clock: 2977MHz (0.3ns)
     *-bank:1
          description: DIMM 41632 MHz (0,0 ns)
          physical id: 1
          slot: A1
          size: 512MiB
          clock: 2977MHz (0.3ns)

Elmacus wrote:>only using Chromium with 10 tabs

In Chrome every tab is a instance of Chrome, so you run 10 independant webbrowers in one window. Each 30 MB atleast.
Firefox uses same instance for all tabs, with just a little extra memory for each.
Just to remember ONLY is not only ;-)
Yeah I knew about that, but what I really mean to say was "10 tabs, most of them from LM forums, google translate, and my e-mail at gmail. which I know are very lightweight pages."
:)
wayne128 wrote:

Reading your thread reminds me of my earlier linux experiment with many distros on a few computers, one of them is with Celeron 2G, 1G RAM, integrated graphic

1. tested only 32-bit
2. firefox with flash will get CPU nearly 80%, RAM is low, much lower than yours 8xxM
3. play any HD media file, MP4 format, one sure way to get CPU 100% for long time, Celeron 2G plus integrated graphic simply cannot cope for ALL distros.

If I rank low RAM/ Low CPU % I would roughly get this pictures

Better , less ram / lower cpu
antiX, aptosid, Debian-xfce

Middle:
Salix, Zenwalk, Vector

Slow, higher RAM/ higher cpu.
Mint, Pinguy, etc

After much time playing and learning I know where the limits are on this box
It is still a stable box!! no crash, it just run, even CPU 100% it will recover!!
So this box become the best box as a headless NAS... and it can hide at one corner happily.

If you really want to know how well it runs, try on antiX and aptosid ( you can be surprised).
Well I tried to instaal Xfce via sudo apt-get install here but the package wasn't found, maybe someday I try another distro when I got more free space.

By the way, thank you all for all your quickly answers.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, sounds like good work :D Hope after all things done, your "free" command with the same applications / tabs loaded looks a lot better in total also.
o_unico

Re: [SOLVED]High memory usage

Post by o_unico »

xenopeek wrote:Well, sounds like good work :D Hope after all things done, your "free" command with the same applications / tabs loaded looks a lot better in total also.
It's acceptable now, but I edited it to [Solved] tag. Maybe in the future with newer applications eating more resources I'll be back here to cry more :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

o_unico wrote: Well I tried to instaal Xfce via sudo apt-get install here but the package wasn't found, maybe someday I try another distro when I got more free space.

i missed this before;
you can install xfce in LMDE-gnome with apt-get install xfce4, then you might want to look in synaptic for some extras to improve the user experience
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xfce4
o_unico

Post by o_unico »

zerozero wrote:
o_unico wrote: Well I tried to instaal Xfce via sudo apt-get install here but the package wasn't found, maybe someday I try another distro when I got more free space.

i missed this before;
you can install xfce in LMDE-gnome with apt-get install xfce4, then you might want to look in synaptic for some extras to improve the user experience
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xfce4
Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow, it's getting late here.

Return to “LMDE Archive”