Setting Up Partitions In GParted Mint/Debian?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sagirfahmid3

Re: Setting Up Partitions In GParted Mint/Debian?

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Easy thing actually, to set up partitions.

150mb Ext4, for Mount Point="/boot" (some people like to put 300mb for this, but 150 works just fine for me)
1024mb for "linux-swap" (I use 1GB because its enough for me; I have 3GB ram, but if you have less ram you should put more swap space)
(the most space), Ext4 for Mount Point="/"{slash} This is where everything on your computer is stored. (Some people like to create a separate "/home" partition)

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Btw, if the Mint Debian partitioner sucks, you should get GParted Live CD from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

If I read what you are trying to do correctly you are trying to install Linux Mint Debian into 150 megabytes of disk space.
You might get Puppy Linux to fit in that small of a partition but the LMDE ISO is over 1200 megabytes and it is compressed.
No way will that work.
Also swap should be sda3.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

jeffreyC wrote:If I read what you are trying to do correctly you are trying to install Linux Mint Debian into 150 megabytes of disk space.
You might get Puppy Linux to fit in that small of a partition but the LMDE ISO is over 1200 megabytes and it is compressed.
No way will that work.
Also swap should be sda3.
1.Thanks for the correction.

2.No, I was not trying to install Debian into 150mb space; I may be a noob, but I'm not stupid.

3.I also found out that you really don't need the 150mb "/boot" partition. All you need are 2 partitions; 1024mb for swap, and the rest for "/"{slash}. Tried it out on VirtualBox.
tpstigers

Post by tpstigers »

Here's the simple response you were looking for:

Use GParted to create your partitions. Make them whatever size you deem appropriate. Format one of them as swap. Make a smaller one to serve as root and a larger one to serve as home. Add flags and labels if you want.

Then exit GParted. When you get back to the installer, THEN right-click on your intended root partition and assign it a root mount point (/). Also right-click on your intended home partition and assign to /home.

Then select your root partition and click 'next' (or 'install' or whatever the button says).

Cheers,

Terry
Cable

Post by Cable »

tpstigers wrote:Here's the simple response you were looking for:

Use GParted to create your partitions. Make them whatever size you deem appropriate. Format one of them as swap. Make a smaller one to serve as root and a larger one to serve as home. Add flags and labels if you want.

Then exit GParted. When you get back to the installer, THEN right-click on your intended root partition and assign it a root mount point (/). Also right-click on your intended home partition and assign to /home.

Then select your root partition and click 'next' (or 'install' or whatever the button says).

Cheers,

Terry
Also do not forget to click on the refresh button after you have exited GParted, else you won't see your new partitions you just created in GParted.

Return to “LMDE Archive”