Why do you like Linux Mint better than other distros?

Chat about Linux in general
swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Why do you like Linux Mint better than other distros?

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

I'd like to hear why you like Linux Mint better than other distros.

The things I like about Linux Mint that not all distros have:
1. Plays DVDs right out-of-the-box
2. Flash videos (including Youtube) works right out-of-the-box, in contrast to Ubuntu
3. Software Manager
4. Disk Usage Analyzer

I recommend Linux Mint above all other distros as THE distro for first-time Linux users. While I like the Puppy Linux user interface better, the installation process is too tricky for a newbie. (I can do it in my sleep nowadays, but it took me several tries to get it right when I was new to this distro.) And while antiX Linux is just as easy to install as Linux Mint, it's not as user-friendly as Linux Mint.

I'm currently using Linux Mint Isadora 9 with GNOME, though i consider antiX-based Swift Linux (the distro I started, www.swiftlinux.org) to be my main distro. I find Linux Mint 9 more user-friendly than the version of Ubuntu it's based on. I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 in VirtualBox for learning Ruby on Rails, and I think the old Ubuntu was better. Unity didn't work, so it went to GNOME 3 as the backup setup. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the clickable icons that I'm used to having. GNOME 3 is something I can live with for learning Ruby on Rails, but I certainly wouldn't want it in my main OS.

Linux Mint and Puppy Linux are both inspirations for my Swift Linux project. Both are user-friendly, and both play DVDs out-of-the-box. Linux Mint has a superb software repository, but I wish it had the lightweight operation of Puppy Linux. Puppy Linux works well on computers as old as the Windows 98 era, but it has a weak software repository. Swift Linux is my attempt to combine the benefits of Linux Mint and Puppy Linux. I'm using the full version of antiX Linux as my base, because it is fully compatible with the Debian repository, is lightweight enough to work on Windows 98 era computers, AND still fits onto a CD.

In the future, I'd like to offer in Swift Linux a Software Manager (like Mint), a Disk Usage Analyzer (like Mint), DVD playing out-of-the-box (like Mint and Puppy), and the PBurn and iso2cd programs (like Puppy).
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Why do you like Linux Mint better than other distros?

Post by tdockery97 »

I only need two words to answer that...the community.
Mint Cinnamon 20
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I only need five words to answer that... I do agree with tdockery97! :D
As well as Mint is, IMHO best for newbies (even with /if needed/ an additional help of forum ;)).
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

It dose what it says on the box .. it WORKS with very few set up problems, it quick [well enough for me], granddaughter [age 4 nearly 5] can use it without problems, it hasn’t crashed in the 9 months i have been running [ 3 different distro's on 4 machines]

and a very helpful [if sometimes arrogant] forum with some great members

Wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
mikeuk10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeuk10 »

Hi All

I'm fairly new to Linux and have just come back to Mint after distro hopping for quite a while. I have to say that i beats all the others I have tried hands down, overall. Everything just seems to work right 'out of the box' and
it seems on my system, to be the fastest most responsive of any7 I have tried. And its the only distro I have used that will stream TV from iPlayer and the likes without any stuttering or frequent buffering. Streaming TV was
the thing that was keeping me tied to Windows, but no longer, cos I don't need it any more for that. I do have it in Virtualbox cos I have Photoshop CS3 and it was too expensive to abandon and also I need WMP to create
playlists for my MP3, but apart from that its Mint is mint and thats how I like it.

Cheers
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Hello mikeuk10! :)

Thanks for your opinion.
BTW, when you've mentioned you have A. PhCS3, you could share your experiences how it works (or doesn't work) in VBox under Linux.
You could create such topic e.g. in 'Sw & Applications' stream. It could be helpful for others, I think ;)
mikeuk10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeuk10 »

Hi Elisa

I'll do just that. I know it doesn't work in Wine but I'll have a 'photo sesh' and see how it goes and post as you suggested.

Cheers

Mike
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

swiftlinuxcreator wrote:I recommend Linux Mint above all other distros as THE distro for first-time Linux users. While I like the Puppy Linux user interface better, the installation process is too tricky for a newbie.
I don't go in for better, best or otherwise for distributors, even as i do have an opinion..

..the installation process is too tricky for a newbie
I have used and installed puppy, and don't find it confusing at all, but that depends on experience or how carefully one reads the install instructions; you do need to understand or at least find out about partitions and so on..

I can't agree that almost any modern Linux desktop OS is in any way tricky to install; I do understand that if someone has never formatted or installed an OS, they would have an understanding problem.

As to why Mint is a good choice; I would say it is the care used in packaging their distribution; despite any upstream problems, which are probably unavoidable, when you don't have enough testers/developers
  • Where even a large open source group can have problems, such as Ubuntu or other open-source projects, Open Office comes to mind..

Return to “Chat about Linux”