LMDE 201109 and UPDATE PACK 3: is this real?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fantab

LMDE 201109 and UPDATE PACK 3: is this real?

Post by fantab »

I have been using Linux for just over one year. I am a Linux newb. During this one year I have installed and tried most of the major Linux Distros. I use LMDE because its pre-configured in many ways for newbs like me and is very end-user friendly. Thank you Developers.

I have re-installed LMDE_amd64-Gnome, I downloaded the "latest" 201109 and installed it. And checked for updates. My Update-Manager informed me to update to new update pack, UPDATE PACK 3, which it did. I re-checked for updates...

I am, I must say, very surprised to see updates worth almost 350Mb. Seriously, when I downloaded more than 1gigs of new LMDE 201109 I did not quite expect that I am due for another 350Mb of updates considering that 201109 and UPDATE PACK 3 were released almost back to back.

It beats the sense out of me. Why was the "latest" LMDE not released inclusive of this Update-Pack 3? Since LMDE is a Rolling Distro, I don't think there was any pressure on the good developers to rush to release. Why did they not wait to include the Update-Pack 3?

Thank you Developers for the wonderful job.

N.B: My "new" LMDE with "new" UPDATE PACK is working beautifully, so far.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fantab

Re: LMDE 201109 and UPDATE PACK 3: is this real?

Post by fantab »

Thank you proxima_centauri for guiding me to the answer.

I understand and acknowledge the situation. However, when you say, "Upgrading to Update Pack 3 would have postponed the release by at least a month and another RC release would have been needed", I am forced to ask, "What was the rush?
fantab wrote:Since LMDE is a Rolling Distro, I don't think there was any pressure on the good developers to rush to release. Why did they not wait to include the Update-Pack 3?
Thanks.
Chanux

Post by Chanux »

Why not release a 201110 with 3.0 kernel? :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

choice :D
It features kernel 3.0. It made sense to stick to a kernel we know works well for everybody until we get more feedback on the newer one. Because LMDE 201109 came with a 2.6.39 kernel, users can also now enjoy the choice between 2.6.39 and 3.0 and use the kernel which works best for them. If we shipped with kernel 3.0, it would have been much harder for people who wanted to downgrade.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”