KDE Apps in Gnome?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

KDE Apps in Gnome?

Post by chowanec »

Hi all,

As you might guess by the title, I'm a super new linux convert. I installed almost all the popular distros, and Mint wins so unbelievably hands down. You've made this one EASY package to use.

That doesn't mean I don't have a truckload of questions though... I'll start with something really easy.

Is it possible to run KDE "apps" in Gnome? Are there any downsides? I'm trying to stay within the repositories (for now) and I've found a Window's App "analogy" but it is KDE based...

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: KDE Apps in Gnome?

Post by Husse »

You will find that there are KDE apps in Mint main (=gnome) edition by default - Amarok is a KDE app
Generally there is no problem, you may have to install some dependencies but that's taken care of
Sometimes it does not work and I found such an example recently (don't remember what though)
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Yes, you can run KDE apps in GNOME, but it is generally recommended to use the GNOME alternative. First of all, most KDE apps use KDE libraries, which you have to install, which might slow down your system (might not be to noticable, unless you go on a KDE frenzy), secondly there might be some issues with some application that causes them to crash alot (I read recently that apps that close to tray are prone to this).
I personally use some KDE apps, like KTorrent (Deluge kept crashing), and k3b is generally the best burning utillity, but I get by with the default one in Nautilus or on some occassions I use Brasero.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I use some KDE apps in GNOME and haven't run into any problems yet. Mainly Konqueror and Amarok, but others as well.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

generally in my experience kde apps for the most part work decent in gnome
with maybe a glitch here and there. I also agree though that if you can find a gnome alternative
to use that instead. one kde app I can't live without in gnome is k3b :D
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Some of my favorite apps are KDE apps!

I use K3B, Kmymoney and Krusader. I also use Thunar, I'm not sure, but I believe that's a kde app also.

So far, I haven't had any problems with any of these apps.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thunar is XFCE the default there if I'm not mistaken
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Husse wrote:Thunar is XFCE the default there if I'm not mistaken
Ah. Thanks for clarifying. I at least knew it wasn't a gnome app. It is very good!

Return to “Beginner Questions”