System info says I am using Gnome 3.0.2?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rg3000

System info says I am using Gnome 3.0.2?

Post by rg3000 »

I guess I am missing something, I updated to pack 3, my system info says that I am using Gnome 3.0.2, my desktop does not look like Gnome 3 (like fedora 15)

My desktop looks like the traditional mint desktop. Am I using what people are calling the fallback mode?

Can I make the LMDE use the "new" gnome 3 desktop?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: System info says I am using Gnome 3.0.2?

Post by AlbertP »

You can install gnome-shell from the repository to get the new interface (the so-called Gnome Shell).

You must be using the fallback mode if there's Gnome 3.0.2 without shell running.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
proxima_centauri

Re: System info says I am using Gnome 3.0.2?

Post by proxima_centauri »

The "gnome-shell" package is only available in the Debian experimental repository.
rg3000 wrote:I guess I am missing something, I updated to pack 3, my system info says that I am using Gnome 3.0.2, my desktop does not look like Gnome 3 (like fedora 15)

My desktop looks like the traditional mint desktop. Am I using what people are calling the fallback mode?
As you are running LMDE with more/less testing sources, you are not technically running a full GNOME3 system.

You are still running GNOME2.32 with various elements updated to v. 3.0.2. GNOME is in a transitory state right now in Debian, where many packages are starting to trickle down - but it will still be a little while before a full GNOME3 system is available in testing.
rg3000 wrote:Can I make the LMDE use the "new" gnome 3 desktop?
You can if you enable the Debian experimental repo's - but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your doing.
There is a thread on it here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=65745

Return to “LMDE Archive”