Install Lazarus on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
PaulW

Install Lazarus on LMDE

Post by PaulW »

LinuxMint (debian): 3.0.0-1-amd64 (wheezy/sid)
Asus i5 Notebook w/ 8gb RAM (dual boot)

I have installed Lazarus & FPC on the Win-7 side of my dual boot system without problem. However, on the LMDE side, I cannot get Lazarus to start. I installed FPC (2.4.0-2) & Lazarus (0.9.28.2-12), in that order, via the Synaptic Package Manager.

When I start, either from the menu or root shell (startlazarus), I would get this error:
Runtime error 203 at $0000000000736A16
$0000000000736A16
$0000000000720991

[WARNING] Out of OEM specific VK codes, changing to unassigned
[WARNING] Out of unassigned VK codes, assigning $FF
Adding "%f" as a parameter
TLazarusManager.Run starting /usr/lib/lazarus/0.9.28.2/lazarus ...
Sometimes only the runtime error info only, other times the entire message. Sometimes the Lazarus splash would display for a second or two; other times not.

So I fully ininstalled it and reinstalled the same packages. Now I get this error:
Runtime error 216 at $00000000005A2879
$00000000005A2879
$0000000000502B31
I've posted on Lazarus' forum and did not recieve a solution.
Has anyone installed FPC & Lazarus on LMDE 3.0.0-1-amd64 (wheezy/sid) with success? If so, I'd appreciate any tips you can provide. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xircon

Re: Install Lazarus on LMDE

Post by xircon »

Yes, installed on AMD64 tracking testing. I get the same initial error (always have):

Code: Select all

startlazarus 
TLazarusManager.Run starting /usr/lib/lazarus/0.9.28.2/lazarus ...
TMainIDE.ParseCmdLineOptions:
  PrimaryConfigPath="/home/molly/.lazarus"
  SecondaryConfigPath="/etc/lazarus"
NOTE: codetools config file not found - using defaults
But it runs OK:
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I think the warning regarding VK codes has to do with the keyboard having codes that are not recognized, which I guess I can live with.
My larger problem is the inability to get past the run time errors. The RTE's are keeping Lazarus from running. The most I can get is the occasional one-second (or so) splash.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Must be a problem with sid, have you tried the snapshot version? http://www.hu.freepascal.org/lazarus/
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Before trying that, on a lark I installed Lazarus & FPC in VirtualBox running 3.0.0-1-amd64. (Got a couple of errors noting that git-man_1.7.5.4-1_all.deb failed; however, I continued.) Low an behold, Lazarus started without error. So, what does that tell us?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Paul

Is the Vbox install sid/wheezy as well? Or Squeeze?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Oops. Its 2.6.39-2-amd64 (wheezy/sid) on the VB.
Runs OK in 2.6.32-5-amd64 (wheezy/sid) on VB also.
Last edited by PaulW on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Well I am on:

~$ uname -a
Linux n5010 3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Aug 27 16:21:11 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/debian_version 
wheezy/sid
But I am tracking testing.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

On "live" Linux-Mint...

paul@paul-nb ~ $ uname -a
Linux paul-nb 3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 24 02:24:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
paul@paul-nb ~ $ cat /etc/debian_version
wheezy/sid
On "VirtualBox" Linux-Mint...

paul@vm-linuxmint ~ $ uname -a
Linux vm-linuxmint 2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 5 02:51:22 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
paul@vm-linuxmint ~ $ cat /etc/debian_version
wheezy/sid

Linux vm-linuxmint 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 25 18:02:11 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
wheezy/sid
Do you think there's something about the computer hardware that is the issue and perhaps the virtual box appears to be different "hardware"?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Don't know, did you try the snapshot? Anyways, off to bed it's late here in the UK.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Goodnight. Thanks for hanging with me.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Update . . .

After getting Lazarus to work OK with 2.6.39.1 in my VirtualBox installaiton, I updated my VB to 3.0.0-1.

Linux vm-linuxmint 3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 24 02:24:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
wheezy/sid
After rebooting into 3.0.0-1, Lazarus loaded an ran just fine. Do you think there is a possibility that by running Linux-Mint in the VB, the VB itself is providing some protection from whatever is in the Live LInux-Mint that is causing the problem?
xircon

Post by xircon »

The VBox is a completely separate system, totally divorced from the OS you are running, so it will not be affected by the problem you are having. I don't know how to proceed further, something is screwed up but the error messages are not helping :(
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Thanks for getting back to me.

I guess I can live with running Lazarus from the VirtualBox, but I wish I could figure out what it is about the "live" OS that causes the problem. Wish I could go back to 2.6.39.1 to see if Lazarus likes it any better.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Try this:

1. Uninstall lazarus via synaptic or command line.

2. In a terminal:

locate lazarus > laz.txt
gedit laz.txt
This will let you see what gets left, delete it all manually (don't worry about docs).

3. Reinstall.

Might work (probably won't, but worth a go).
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I'll give it a try later this week. Will also make an image of the partition "just in case".
Thanks for all you help and suggestions.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

You're right: The uninstall / reinstall didn't help. Still get 216 runtime error.

I'm wondering if totally reinstalling Linux-Mint from the Live DVD (201109 Gnome 64-bit) is worth the effort. Although the problem 'seems' to be associated with my Asus notebook hardware, I don't know what else to try.
KHoward

Post by KHoward »

I'm having the same problem...sort of...I'm getting the 203 runtime error....this is with Laz 9.30.2 and FPC 2.4.4 on LMDE. Any new info on this? Paul, do you have any further insight?

Thanks.
Keith
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Keith,
No "insight" on this end - only a "hunch". I wonder if my computer is too "fast" and the software cannot keep up with it. I requested some help from Asus' support web site and received no response. I checked my bios config and can find no way to slow it down (turn off cache or something) to test my hunch. Odd, though, that I have no problem using the Windows 7 OS on my dual-boot system.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Well I have just done a fresh install (from the original DVD), fully updated to Gnome3, reinstalled Lazarus and it still works.

I have a Intel Core i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz processor, 4 gig of ram, laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5010 purchased July 2010,

Return to “LMDE Archive”