mintmenu menu suggestions removal in Mint 11

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
poetfreak

mintmenu menu suggestions removal in Mint 11

Post by poetfreak »

I like the mintmenu, but the search suggestions which include possible package matches, plug google and all that other stuff slows it down horribly and I do not want it on there. But I can not find out how to remove the the menu suggestions.

There used to be a way to remove it, but I do not see it any longer. Under Menu Preferences, in the tab Applications, I unchecked 'search for applications', but it does it anyway if you type a term not in the menu (I.E. 'cad'). If it is a common term it takes almost a full minute before it will respond again because it is searching all the repositories. :oops:

It also wants to search google, wikipedia, and the dictionary. I know I had figured out a way to turn this off before, but I tried several terms on here and can not find it and neither the manual or synaptic gave me any clues either. Was this ability removed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
poetfreak

Re: mintmenu menu suggestions removal in Mint 11 [SOLVED]

Post by poetfreak »

I figured it out. The package search thing requires a logout before it takes effect. I wish it would have notified me of that when I selected it. But anyway ... The other searches goofiness ...

I figured it out with some digging in another post, and a rudimentary knowledge of python.
at the terminal, type:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py
First thing, I did file-->Save As and named it applications.py.old so I had a backup of the original just in case. Then I quit the editor, hit up one time in the terminal to bring up the command above again, and enter to reopen it for editing.

Now I can safely edit it. :P

comment out 593 - 605, and 616-621 by adding a # at the begging of the line. save.
now it still searches for existing packages, but does nothing else. No google or other such suggestions.

Return to “Software & Applications”