Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by craig10x »

That's possible of course...this is the month Clem must devote most of his time working on the release of mint 12...especially since this involves some MAJOR revisions like probably adding the "mate" aspect and gnome 3, etc...aside from the normal tweaks and modifications that he makes to the newest ubuntu release....

after that there will be many many months to get the kde and other debian testing releases going...so i guess you kde fans will just have to be patient...especially since it kind of seems like Clem would have to take over for Boo...i sort of get the impression he may not be actively involved anymore...

Quite frankly, unless you love to tinker a lot, i don't think you guys will be that thrilled with KDE LMDE...probably better off staying with kubuntu or whatever other favorite kde distro you like... :wink:

If you are looking for the relative stability of the old kde mint editions, i don't think you are going to find that with this new version...
Why do you think that about 75% of mint users use main edition and only about 10% are on LMDE? Having tried LMDE twice...i think i know why that is the case...
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

I have LMDE XFCE in a VM and it's not caused me too many issues to date (well none that I could not rectify or work round).

There are other options for me which I fully understand but Mint has been kind to me and I'm not overly keen to move elsewhere. That said I have installed Kubuntu on a "spare" PC and am loving it.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I hear you Fandangio....well, i guess it isn't too bad but it does often require more work and attention then the standard edition for sure...at least that was my observation when i used it...I don't blame you...i love mint too...good thing i like gnome and ubuntu based edition because it seems like Clem fully intends to continue it for the long run :wink:

Sorry to report that although i did like the look of kubuntu and the "polish" it didn't work out for me...i guess i am just more of a gnome sort of person :lol:
I returned to Mint 11...i do appreciate your encouragement though... :wink:
wiko

Post by wiko »

tomp01 wrote: Final question, why would anybody want a desktop where the icons were all over the place? If are particularly perverse and you want that then that is the default behaviour anyway.
[/quote][/quote]

for one, I do. not all over the place, but:
to group icons (when they are of the same genre) and to take up less desktopspace (so you can still see the best parts of the backgroundimage)
wiko

Post by wiko »

craig10x wrote: after that there will be many many months to get the kde and other debian testing releases going...so i guess you kde fans will just have to be patient...especially since it kind of seems like Clem would have to take over for Boo...i sort of get the impression he may not be actively involved anymore...

Quite frankly, unless you love to tinker a lot, i don't think you guys will be that thrilled with KDE LMDE...probably better off staying with kubuntu or whatever other favorite kde distro you like... :wink:
this sounds very bad. so there will be a M12-Gnome before M11-KDE gets going anywhere (skip 11 and go for M12-KDE)?

I'm a newbie on linux (been on Knoppix-hd for years till my hd went bad) and still on Mint-Live LXDE now. I'm really waiting for M11-KDE because I like the Mint-concept and the amount of configurabillity KDE offers (to dial down on the eyecandy etc.) and make things work the way I like it best.
so either I install LXDE (which is not to bad either, but a bit incomplete compared to KDE) or go for another distro alltogether.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yeah wiko...actually not only won't there be a mint 11 kde but no mint 12 kde either...kde will be going the lmde route so what you will have is KDE lmde....no more editions of mint for kde...just updated isos for each version periodically (so that new installers won't have so many update packs to catch up with)....
so, no more ubuntu based mint kde...only rolling distro (debian testing) kde mint...

And that would likely get going after mint 12 main edition comes out...
wiko

Post by wiko »

craig10x wrote: ..... kde will be going the lmde route so what you will have is KDE lmde....no more editions of mint for kde...just updated isos for each version periodically (so that new installers won't have so many update packs to catch up with)....
so, no more ubuntu based mint kde...only rolling distro (debian testing) kde mint...

as newbie this is gibberish to me ([k]ubuntu- or debian testing-based?), but isn't a rolling distro more efficient? for the enduser only the finished product matters. if that's OK, no sweat as far as I'm concerned. but the wait definitely is a no-no!

so what is your take on M11-LXDE or go for another distro alltogether? any suggestions?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

well, rolling means you shouldn't need to re-install like you do with 6 month editions...however with that comes a price...it's generally not quite as stable and reliable as the 6 month (ubuntu based edition)...so you have to be prepared for occasional breakages and regressions, and fixes don't always come that fast...you may be spending more time in the lmde forums hunting down solutions to problems that come along...so it won't be like the old mint kde based on ubuntu you are accustomed to...just keep that in mind...

As far as alternatives...actually, for kde fans, kubuntu 11.10 is quite nice...it just wasn't for me because i prefer gnome...
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

craig10x wrote:well, rolling means you shouldn't need to re-install like you do with 6 month editions...however with that comes a price...it's generally not quite as stable and reliable as the 6 month (ubuntu based edition)...so you have to be prepared for occasional breakages and regressions, and fixes don't always come that fast...you may be spending more time in the lmde forums hunting down solutions to problems that come along...so it won't be like the old mint kde based on ubuntu you are accustomed to...just keep that in mind...

As far as alternatives...actually, for kde fans, kubuntu 11.10 is quite nice...it just wasn't for me because i prefer gnome...
Although I prefer ubuntu-based KDE distro, I still cannot recommend the immature Kubuntu 11.10, too many issues ...
Last edited by braingateway on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

wiko wrote:
craig10x wrote: ..... kde will be going the lmde route so what you will have is KDE lmde....no more editions of mint for kde...just updated isos for each version periodically (so that new installers won't have so many update packs to catch up with)....

as newbie this is gibberish to me ([k]ubuntu- or debian testing-based?), but isn't a rolling distro more efficient? for the enduser only the finished product matters. if that's OK, no sweat as far as I'm concerned. but the wait definitely is a no-no!

so what is your take on M11-LXDE or go for another distro alltogether? any suggestions?
Rolling distro is only good for developers who really push packages to the edge, encountering lots of bugs or performance issues which the normal users barely see.
It is not even practical for normal software developers...
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

braingateway wrote:Rolling distro is only good for developers who really push packages to the edge, encountering lots of bugs or performance issues which the normal users barely see. It is not even practical for normal software developers...
This statement is fud (well worse actually, it is complete BS) without qualification.

Taking Debian as the base there are choices available to the end user to roll with Stable, Testing or Unstable (and with LMDE, their own level which should be slightly more bug free than testing).
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

quite so...although it should be noted that debian stable...while very reliable and pretty bug free, will contain much older packages and programs that a current version of an ubuntu based distro will have...and it stays that way for a full two years before the next edition of debian stable comes out...
If that doesn't matter to the user, then it is a pretty reliable way to go...

but you won't be running with (for example) the newest version of kde for example...or let us say the newest version of vlc media player or k3b or rhythmbox....in debian testing...you would be...but once again...along with that you have to deal with those regressions or breakages that sometimes come along...

on the other hand, one can go with a long term edition of an ubuntu based distro (next ubuntu of that nature is version 12.04 due out next april) and run for even 3 years with it...however it does get updates over the entire 3 years...including some program updates...

if you want the most current stuff, you have to go with the 6 month ubuntu editions...

everything has it's pluses and minuses..you have to decide which ones you can accept :wink:
colyn

Post by colyn »

braingateway wrote:
wiko wrote: Rolling distro is only good for developers who really push packages to the edge, encountering lots of bugs or performance issues which the normal users barely see.
It is not even practical for normal software developers...
Now this is plain ignorance.

I use PCLinuxOS which is a rolling release with up to date packages. I have yet to
encounter lots of bugs or performance issues
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

let's see if i can demystify some FUD-ish ideas i see around here about the KDE ed. going the LMDE route:

breakages:
- since july with the update-packs this is not a concern anymore; and frankly, even between september last year and last july (when all we had in LMDE was the raw debian testing repos) the issues (if you consider the over one year time span) were never that serious (like in loosing totally the ability to login again) and the major problems came from nvidia/ATI;

easy-of-use
- i not trying to say that running a system based in testing is easy (like in Minty-easy-of-use) as it was the original LMDE, that's why Clem mirrored the debian repos and came out with the incoming and latest idea (for maximum stability);
usually, pure debian assumes that the user knows a few things (about pkg management, the system itself) mint and LMDE are closing that gap and making it easier, but it's *still* not dead easy (i'm always a bit scared everytime a get a new user that comes to LMDE straight from windows - it's not impossible, but demands a higher learning curve)

more important - what's in for the community
- but the above plan will only work if we have users using the incoming repos (and testing regressions and upgrade issues), and i'm very happy to acknowledge some requests made in this topic for more cooperation between the devs and the community - so this is one of our changes: point the repos to incoming and when the UP arrive test them, report everything you see weird and help making latest the more trouble-free possible; isn't Mint a community-driven distro? so this is one opportunity for us to help
disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

Hello,

Maybe I am wrong, but I see a lot of talk that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Topic. Bottom line, Will there be a KDE based ISO for mint and when will it be ready for download, regardless of whether it is LMDE or not. While there seems to be a lot of talk most of it, is very confusing and some seems to be just way out left about someone's preferences. While I don't know everything that is involved in creating a specific release or flavor of a distro, It would be nice to just answer a question, and leave " it'll be ready when it is ready " smart alec comments out of it. Please give real dates, While many may like gnome 3 or unity, There are people who like KDE and just want to get on with using what they like!

Thanks
Jonathan
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

disciple1964 wrote: While I don't know everything that is involved in creating a specific release or flavor of a distro, It would be nice to just answer a question, and leave " it'll be ready when it is ready " smart alec comments out of it. Please give real dates,
That's the point, there's no info. Last update was that it would be the focus after the last LMDE edition was ready.
How long ago was that??? Now it seems the focus has switched to the main edition.

If the KDE version is a no go, or is delayed then I'd appreciate a small update. It's getting progressively more difficult to remain committed to something that may or may not ever be available. Sadly this has affected my decision to sponsor Mint.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

It would probably be delayed now by the fact that Clem has to work on Mint 12...once it comes out then he can turn his attention to kde lmde and whatever other editions need to come out on it...Since Mint 12 would be coming out between mid and late november, i suspect the kde lmde wouldn't be out until some time in December...a guess on my part, but probably not an unreasonable one...

As i mentioned in an earlier post, i just kind of get the impression that Boo will not be working on this anymore and it's basically dumped in Clem's lap to take care of...
So again, i'd suspect it would be december...this is why you aren't hearing any further news about it...

So unless you waiting for kde lmde and have the patience...probably best to move on to something else...
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

I think you are probably right Craig.

Sadly it seems that the Mint team cannot be taken at their word, so yes moving to another distro does look like a good move.
Very, very poor practice IMHO. If plans have changed it would be decent for the team to let us know.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Well, give it a day or two and see if we get some clarification. I've emailed Clem asking for an update so that we know whether to expect KDE in the near future.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

tdockery97 wrote:Well, give it a day or two and see if we get some clarification. I've emailed Clem asking for an update so that we know whether to expect KDE in the near future.
Many thanks :)

Return to “Software & Applications”