Linux Mint E17?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintlinux

Linux Mint E17?

Post by mintlinux »

Enlightenment 17 has always been a stable desktop for me.
Is it possible to put enlightenment (or any other desktop) on linux mint
and still having that "green" look without having to configure too much?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Linux Mint E17?

Post by viking777 »

It is possible to put any window manager you like on top of Mint, and E17 is in the package manager, all you have to do is install it and log out and in again choosing E17 as your login session. What it looks like when you have added it though is really up to the people who code E17. It depends what you mean by 'that green look'. Personally I always put Fluxbox onto every install that I make because that is my favourite window manager, but it doesn't look like Gnome or work like it.
mintlinux

Post by mintlinux »

The linux mint icons, color schemes, etc.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well the icons are mostly in /usr/share/icons, so they won't be touched, you would just have to find out how to alter the default icons in E17 and change them for the Mint versions. As for themes I just don't know, you would probably have more luck asking that question on an E17 forum. Alternatively just try it out for yourself, E17 will be added as an alternative login to Gnome, it won't replace it, so you can't lose anything, and if it doesn't work for you just uninstall it, adding a different window manager is one of the easiest and safest modifications you can carry out on a Linux box.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

dimechin

Post by dimechin »

While I feel Openbox versions are great, I think an E17 version would add more variety to the mint as the others, I recommend taking maybe some attention away from other versions (thankfully not the version LXDE I like that the best way) and focus a little more of this.
wlake

Post by wlake »

Since there seems to some interest in E17, here is a screen shot of Bodhi Linux installed on Mint 11 LXDE. Right now the wall paper says bodhi, I need to create one that says bodhi + linuxmint. So far running well with no problems, memory usage, for me, is less under E17 than LXDE. Installing was pretty easy to do. I just added the bodhi repo to the /etc/apt/sources.list. Then do an update, since there is no gpg key, the system will always ask if you want to install from an untrusted source.
## Bodhi Linux Repo
# US Mirror
deb http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi lucid main
# German Mirror
# deb http://nexus.nsroot.cz.cc/bodhi lucid main
# Swedish Mirror
# deb http://mirrorc0re.se/bodhi lucid main

I know it say lucid but that does not seem to be a problem. Then installed the following: enlightenment, bodhi-profiles, taskbar, places and any other modules you want such as forecasts. Also install some themes, bodhi-theme-(theme name). It is probably easier to do in Synaptic.
Logout and choose the enlightenment desktop from the lxdm menu and that was it. If anything goes wrong you still have LXDE.
2011-10-12-125320_1280x800_scrot.png
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Would that also work on LMDE? :)
wlake

Post by wlake »

New postby /dev/urandom on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 pm
"Would that also work on LMDE?"

I really don't know. Sorry I can't be of more help. Mixing Ubuntu and Debian packages is tricky as I understand it.

Regards,
wlake
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I'm using LMDE pointing to Debian testing the package manager is showing E17 as available.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Fine. :) Haven't checked it in a while, should do it...
Slightly OT: Which "Mint artworks" are currently worked on? LXDE, KDE maybe?
burjans

Post by burjans »

@wyrdoak on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm using LMDE pointing to Debian testing the package manager is showing E17 as available.
I agree LMDE + e17 :D

http://www.com-sl.org/instalar-enlighte ... ebian.html

My Desktop

:wink:
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

If the two default themes would not be so ugly. Sigh.
MultiUser

Post by MultiUser »

Greatings all,

good idea :) ... Thanks for your tests ...

This topic is also very interesting : Enlightenment (E17) SVN PPA

@+
Haagentis

Post by Haagentis »

Hello ! If you want to avoid the utterly ugly basic e17 theme, install the "detourious" theme (which is very sober, elegant and well designed) with greybird gtk and faenza icons ! It rocks ! Now, my netbook GUI looks just like a mac killer.
doctroya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doctroya »

I've put E17 as one of the desktop managers of my Linuxmint Olivia Cinnammon Eddition, and it's a sweet candy environment to work. The only problem I've got was with the File manager Nemo, the standard for this edition of LM, but I solved this problem using Thunar.

Here I want to share with you some flavors of my E17 desktop:

/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Could you provide larger screenshots?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Better idea - post the images to a hosting site and use the "rimg" tags to post a clickable thumbnail
doctroya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doctroya »

Here they are, the links to the images of my screens with E17 (Click on the thumbs)

Image Image
ImageImage
theblackpig

Post by theblackpig »

Just started with e17- so this is early desktop

[img]http://i.imgur.com/D8H13Tu.png[/img]

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”